Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
it is hard for me to see oak park having no peer as you describe when evanston occupies basically the same role in the north suburbs/north shore as oak park does in the west suburbs. if oak park and evanston are not peer communities, i'm not sure what towns are.

of course they are not twins and what i say doesn't negate the fact that evanston's black community is far more deeply rooted than oak park's and tends to be somewhat more concentrated. but there are far more similarities than differences. evanston, too, is very diverse, liberal and tolerant and the whites within it wouldn't have it any way and are hardly going elsewhere. indeed, diversity is a part of evanston's attraction for many whites.
I don't believe I've ever said that Oak Park doesn't have similarities to Evanston, and if some place was deemed a "peer", it would be Evanston... and I have acknowledged the similarities between Oak Park and Evanston in the past. I've mentioned that they have similar vibes, both border the city, have diversity... but I also isolated the differences such as how Oak Parks history of social/racial mixing and commitment to integration has resulted in it's current environment, and how minorities in Evanston are for the larger part segregated into their own community. If we're talking about similarities and differences between racial and economic diversity, then there are some substantial differences and similarities. If we're talking about similarities and differences between every other aspect of the towns, it's hard not to acknowledge the university, the lake... and similarities being a liberal lean, more accepting to difference...

I'd agree that they have more similarities between themselves when compared to many other suburbs in the region, but they have many distinctive elements that make them distinctly unique in their own rights. And this has been my point... that it's the specific combination of elements that gives a town it's unique character. I think if an OP was asking about moving to a diverse town, with a more diverse population, close to the city with a selection of transport option... we could easily throw both Oak Park and Evanston in as solid contenders, but then we would need to break down generalizations to get into the details to difference to see which would be a better fit for the OP. I love Evanston for what it is, and I have and continue to go there often because of the similarities it shares with Oak Park, and because of it's differences.

Last edited by chitownperson; 07-28-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I think I asked the wrong question. I should have asked: Other than Jewish and Christian are their other denominations in Evanston? Considering its history, you are probably right about the OP temple not being "well woven."
i don't really know, linicx, but I would think for the total type of diversity that you describe, the presence of Northwestern tips the equation towards Evanston over Oak Park. The diversity that describes NU has a spillover effect on Evanston; look at a place like Iowa City in comparison and see a city that attracts a global community like no place in Iowa because of the university presence.

College towns are different.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I agree some college towns are different. I think a great deal depends upon the size of the student population and its contribution to the community. Look at the number of colleges in Chicago. ISU student population is nearly the size of half the population of the Town of Normal. (Can you imagine Chicago with 1.5M on-campus college students?) Now compare ISU with Bradley, or the medical school, and its small student population in a town of over 100,000. Peoria does not have the college vibe as much as it does family, business, medicine and technology.

You defined the difference. Oak Park is not a college town. Each is as unique as is Naperville or Winnetka.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:05 PM

115 posts, read 174,551 times
It looks a bit messy. There are areas that have to be cleaned up and beautified. There were thugs approaching me in the parking lot as I left Whole Foods. The main street leading to downtown is stopped up. I was over in Oak Park for Frank Lloyd Wright and Hemingway, and it just didn't seem very friendly or safe.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Whole Foods is not in Oak Park it is in River Forest. It is sad to hear your visit to OP's historical homes and places was unsatisfactory.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizcharlene View Post
It looks a bit messy. There are areas that have to be cleaned up and beautified. There were thugs approaching me in the parking lot as I left Whole Foods. The main street leading to downtown is stopped up. I was over in Oak Park for Frank Lloyd Wright and Hemingway, and it just didn't seem very friendly or safe.
I'm sorry to hear that. What happened when the thugs approached you? I'm at that Whole Foods at least twice a week (usually more) at all times of the day and night and have never had an issue with thugs approaching me. Moms with strollers? Sure.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 PM

Yeah, sorry to hear about your negative experience. I too have never had thugs approach me at Whole Foods. What did they do to you? We're you an actual victim of crime in Oak Park? I only ask because perception can be quite different from reality... Lincoln Park feels very safe to many people, and is indeed quite safe and very desirable, yet Oak Park has less crime in comparison.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Dear lord, this is STILL going on 8 pages later?? Wow.

Last edited by linicx; 08-14-2012 at 10:15 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 02:14 PM

And you're STILL participating in it. Not so "wow".

Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM

207 posts, read 702,501 times
What makes Oak Park so "great" because of the "diversity" is that Whites continued to move there after it was integrated. It didn't experience White Flight like places such as Harvey, Chicago Heights, and MAYBE Cicero.

My cousin lives in Oak Park (right by the Austin Border) and he tells me it's very balanced (same number of blacks as whites) maybe leaning towards more blacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs