Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM

32 posts, read 76,598 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Can anyone tell me anything about the Elk Grove Village community? I'm looking at buying a house for about $200k and there seems to be some nice options here but I really don't know anything about this suburb. I think I've only been there once. I searched the forum but there isn't much describing it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
EGV is not a bad town at all. The overwhelming majority of it base is the industrial and warehouse sites that line Rt. 83 and have lots of fly-over noise from O'Hare but the residential areas are similar to those of towns like the southern parts of Arlington Heights or Mt. Prospect with which it shares the big high school district. There are plenty of retail malls in and around EGV for groceries and everyday needs but without a rail-centric core you miss out on the kinds of little shops and resturants that those towns have. Lack of rail hub also means fewer commuters that rely on access to the Loop, though the large number of good jobs in the nearby spots like greater Woodfield Mall and Rolling Meadows office parks together with those jobs in EGV's numerous industrial parks makes for a solid employment base.

EGV has great acces to the Forest Preserve system with it bicycle / jogging trails as well as open fields for cross country skiing and such.

Overall probably not as "charming" as traditionally rail oriented towns, but also more affordable.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
I have cousins who grew up there and a friend who grew up there and has her kids in the schools there now. Her 2 oldest just finished their 1st yr at the high school. She was very impressed with the courses her kids are taking compared to the offerings when she was there. It's a nice town, reasonably priced, pretty centrally located.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
EGV is a mostly industrial suburb but with some residential. Good Park District and Library. A little light on shopping, but very close to Woodfield. And with a Forest Preserve that has an actual Elk herd.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:50 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I have cousins who grew up there and a friend who grew up there and has her kids in the schools there now. Her 2 oldest just finished their 1st yr at the high school. She was very impressed with the courses her kids are taking compared to the offerings when she was there. It's a nice town, reasonably priced, pretty centrally located.
Although Hersey and Prospect usually make the top 20 list of area high schools, all D214 schools share a similar curriculum with many honors and AP courses. All the schools within the district are pretty solid!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
My son and his family live in Elk Grove Village, close to Mead jr hi in the village that looks so adorable, it makes me want to move there. The streets are names like Vermont, New York, etc. and the homes are extremely well taken care of with nice lots, many good schools, and enough sports for the kids. Woodfield is just down the street, as is the streets of Woodfield. If you like golf, restaurants, movies, friendly people, and HIGH TAXES, its right for you.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My son and his family live in Elk Grove Village, close to Mead jr hi in the village that looks so adorable, it makes me want to move there. The streets are names like Vermont, New York, etc. and the homes are extremely well taken care of with nice lots, many good schools, and enough sports for the kids. Woodfield is just down the street, as is the streets of Woodfield. If you like golf, restaurants, movies, friendly people, and HIGH TAXES, its right for you.
High taxes compared to what?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
My son pays $13,000 and Cook County is notorius for high taxes. I meant compared to my taxes, here in AZ ($1200). Its the reason I cannot ever return to live near them.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My son pays $13,000 and Cook County is notorius for high taxes. I meant compared to my taxes, here in AZ ($1200). Its the reason I cannot ever return to live near them.
That is a high RE tax bill. I assume they have been challenging. I pay thousands less for a SFH in Chicago.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Want high taxes? Try Lake or DuPage County. Cook may be "notorius" for high taxes, but in fact homeowners get a tax break. A home across Devon Avenue, the borderline, would pay thousands more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs