Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 17,517 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am the mother of three children (ages 1-6) and my husband and I are looking all over the USA to find a place to raise our children. Our favorite towns in the Chicago area are Clarendon Hills, Deerfield, Hinsdale, and Lemont. What are the schools like? Do any of them have walkable downtowns? Please let me know your opinions on them. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,688 times
Of the towns you mentioned my first choice would be Hindsdale. The schools are very good and you have access to just about everything from retail to airports to medical facilities to restaurants and neighborhood schools etc.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 AM

12 posts, read 36,608 times
Default Land of Milk & Honey

I have lived in Hinsdale and Lemont... Hinsdale is the land of milk and honey, but has a lot of excellent qualities. If you are looking to raise your children as far removed from reality, Hinsdale is a great place to live... excellent schools, nice little town, parks, sports, etc. However, you will not encounter anything remotely close to the real world. Lemont has a little more diversity, but I was not as pleased with the schools. Check property taxes before you decide on either place... and, if in Hinsdale, make sure you are in District 181... Good luck!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,493 times
Default A Lot OF DIFFERENT UNKNOWN VARIABLES

Dear Friends:

As a suggestion, visit my previous posts and threads for my opinions on various beautiful towns around Illinois. You can collectively view my "HOWELL_STREET" comments as a group. I suggest this, because of your desire to look 'all over' for your future employment and home. Of course, many other people have good ideas of places to work and live, too. In my opinion, your 'op' is too complex to answer.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,

Wheaton, IL,
Cortland, IL,
Mount Vernon / Nason, IL

Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Default Hinsdale for sure

I agree with the poster that says Hinsdale is the land of milk and honey, because it is a beautiful place with a hilly topography, lovely houses, close to everything ( I-294, 55, 90, Midway and O'Hare and a 22 minute train ride downtown) with great schools in the 181 district. A second choice would be Clarendon Hills, also great schools ( the same middle and High school as Hinsdale) but less pricey.

As far as reality, Hinsdale is not a very realistic place to raise your kids with an average home price of $1.25 million and every other car a luxury or ultra-luxury model, but if your values are grounded, so will your kids. The emphasis on education and the convenience of location are worth it if you have the money to afford a house there.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 11,811 times
I would highly recommend Lemont. We have lived in many states as corporate transferees, and we chose Lemont when we came to Illiinois especially for the schools. Small size schools in Lemont mean your child will have a chance to play a sport, or be in the band or in the school play-they are not competing with 4,000 other students for a slot on the team or a role in the play. We moved into Lemont with two high school age children, a junior and a freshman. They were made to feel very welcome and had an easy transition. The faculty went out of there way to make sure they were successful in starting at the school.

Lemont has a small town feel and definitely a sense of community. The housing choices are eclectic with many types to choose from. The downtown area within walking distance to the Metra station has many sizes and styles to choose from. Prices for housing in Lemont are very reasonable, especially compared to Hinsdale and that area. For example, there is a new 3 story 5/3.5 victorian on my street that is listed for less than the owner bought it for in July 2006. This home is priced at only 675,000 and would easily cost close to a million dollars in Hinsdale.

Lemont is still the kind of town where you feel safe on the streets, you see your neighbors at the local grocery store or drugstore and your kids can play outside. It also has great commuting access with metra service, I-55 and now the 355 extension. I would strongly encourage you to check out Lemont and see what a great little place it is.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 AM

356 posts, read 542,220 times
Have you visited the western burbs?-- I recommend a scouting trip-- Be sure and visit Downers Grove, Hinsdale, LaGrange, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, River walk at Naperville. These all have living and working downtown village centers.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Interesting that Lemont and Deerfield fit in your same list as Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills. I would definitly pick Hinsdale if you can afford it, second would be C. Hills. As the above poster said, check out the other burbs in the area, Elmhurst,Glen Ellyn or Wheaton. And have you been to St Charles or Geneva ? Certainly should be included on your search when you visit again.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 12,158 times
lemont is good because we can make our tax dollar spreed so far we got good police fource no gangs and good privite and public schools

Old 07-07-2009, 05:07 PM

88 posts, read 323,879 times
I always thought that Hinsdale looked like a Norman Rockwell painting - old fashion America, apple pie and ice cream.

However, I would caution you that things are not always what they may seem.
With that said, any of the suburbs you mentioned would be very agreeable to raising children. Clarendon Hills is lovely - a Mayberry type downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs