Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 10:46 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions??? I thought Lombard, but pretty much anyone I've mentioned that too told me to stay away () HELP!

Hello - I wish you luck with your house hunt. The previous posters are correct that you should be working with a Realtor who is working for you. I would not rule out Lombard, particularly in the "Old Town" section, near the train station. There are some adorable homes there, along with good schools and a wonderful library and park system. It is a little hidden gem that many people associate with the large Yorktown shopping mall which is within city limits, along with many office building and restaurants. These businesses generate taxes for the town, so, like Oak Brook, this results in lower property taxes for the homeowners. If you go away from the Yorktown area, and explore the older section, you find nice homes, including some cute older ones. There is also the Prairie Path, an old electric railroad roadbed, where you can walk, run, or bike for miles.
You are right, you will save a bundle if you can walk to the train station. What I would do, is drive around and check these places out yourself. Everyone has different views in life, so sometimes friends and acquaintences may overlook fine communities simply because they do not know anything about them or they have not seen them. There are nice areas all over; I would check some out on a couple of Sunday afternoon drives, going slowly through the towns along the two railroad [METRA] lines. A convenient commute is really important these days. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 AM

32 posts, read 76,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipchikki View Post

Any suggestions??? I thought Lombard, but pretty much anyone I've mentioned that too told me to stay away () HELP!
Just out of curiosity why did your friends tell you to stay away from Lombard? I'm looking to buy there and I like the areas so curious what you are hearing. True the downtown isn't as cute as say Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, or Elmhurst, but it seems like a great community.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuleeM13 View Post
Just out of curiosity why did your friends tell you to stay away from Lombard? I'm looking to buy there and I like the areas so curious what you are hearing. True the downtown isn't as cute as say Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, or Elmhurst, but it seems like a great community.
One thing against Lombard is that the high school, Glenbard East, does not have a great reputation. So, if schools are important, that could be an issue. Other than that, I've got nothing...

Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
True, but the commute to Naperville would be a bear.
It wouldn't be that bad. Once you hit 335 south of 290 you should move pretty well. It should be under an hour, in which case, I'd call that a winner.

Unless you move somewhere close to work as your top priority, you're going to sit in traffic -- just like the millions of other people in the cars next to you do.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 AM

990 posts, read 3,186,636 times
I would recommend Tinley Park because it has the "cute" downtown you are looking for, good schools, lower home prices and metra access. However, that would give your husband a minimum 45 minute commute to Naperville via 80 to 355.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
^^ Why go that far??

Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Yeah, why not just live in Naperville. Its got about the best downtown anyone could ask for although there are others. Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, and Downers Grove are also good. Good schools, all. All have trains to go downtown. Why look anywhere else? These are the best towns that are nearest your husbands job and since you work dt, you can take the train. While there is nothing wrong with Lombard, it is not as good as the other places I mentioned. Personally I would live in the places I mentioned before I would ever go to Lombard.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM

10 posts, read 37,622 times
Talking Thanks!

Wow, thanks for everyone's input.. i really appreciate it!

Since I've posted, we expanded our search to different towns including Elmhurst, Wheaton, Palatine, etc. per previous suggestions.. And we found our perfect house in... Wheaton!

It is a short sale, so we are waiting to hear back from the seller's bank, but the seller's accepted our offer at least! We had to bid a little bit over the list price to make sure we got it (multiple bidder situation), but thank goodness, we got it. Now if we can only manage to keep those cash buyers from checking it out at the last minute (which would just totally devastate and break my heart)..

But all in all, I don't know that I would have considered looking in Wheaton due in part to it's allegedly dry town reputation, but we checked it out after some suggestions and we were very pleasantly surprised!

Thanks everyone! Crowd sourcing at its best!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM

10 posts, read 37,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Yeah, why not just live in Naperville. Its got about the best downtown anyone could ask for although there are others. Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, and Downers Grove are also good. Good schools, all. All have trains to go downtown. Why look anywhere else? These are the best towns that are nearest your husbands job and since you work dt, you can take the train. While there is nothing wrong with Lombard, it is not as good as the other places I mentioned. Personally I would live in the places I mentioned before I would ever go to Lombard.
We would have loved to live in Naperville too.. but after bidding on several houses only to get snatched up, we were starting to think that Naperville didn't want us!! Same for DG. that and all the places that we looked originally (Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Downer's Grove) was starting to have a low stock of homes in the specific areas that we were looking in..

Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipchikki View Post
Wow, thanks for everyone's input.. i really appreciate it!

Since I've posted, we expanded our search to different towns including Elmhurst, Wheaton, Palatine, etc. per previous suggestions.. And we found our perfect house in... Wheaton!

It is a short sale, so we are waiting to hear back from the seller's bank, but the seller's accepted our offer at least! We had to bid a little bit over the list price to make sure we got it (multiple bidder situation), but thank goodness, we got it. Now if we can only manage to keep those cash buyers from checking it out at the last minute (which would just totally devastate and break my heart)..

But all in all, I don't know that I would have considered looking in Wheaton due in part to it's allegedly dry town reputation, but we checked it out after some suggestions and we were very pleasantly surprised!

Thanks everyone! Crowd sourcing at its best!
Glad you didn't end up in Palatine, because the commute to Naperville would have been long. Good luck on closing on your new home, you're in a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs