Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times

Advertisements

I think you should look in Arlington Heights. Its closer by and like others said, no reason to go to Naperville or st. charles and make a longer commute. Arlington Heights is a nice town, it has good schools and a nice downtown. Diverse housing styles. I am not a fan of schaumburg because it really has no town area to speak of and I would never live in a place with a few exceptions that did not have a town area. I hate the "townless towns" or where the towns are malls or strip malls. There are others who might say look into Mt. Prospect too. Inverness has some high priced homes but I do not know if that alone would attract me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM

51 posts, read 94,435 times
Thanks for all the advice. I will be looking into all these areas and determine what would be best for the family. We will have to consider what type of house we are looking for as well. We are coming from Dallas so we are use to newer houses, (3500 sq ft, 3 car garage, very small yard, etc). But, that doesn't mean I need to find something that I am use to. I may also need to consider the location that will be within 30 minutes of Schaumburg but will have to occasionally go into the city (2 or 3 times a month).

Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Very different development patterns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I will be looking into all these areas and determine what would be best for the family. We will have to consider what type of house we are looking for as well. We are coming from Dallas so we are use to newer houses, (3500 sq ft, 3 car garage, very small yard, etc). But, that doesn't mean I need to find something that I am use to. I may also need to consider the location that will be within 30 minutes of Schaumburg but will have to occasionally go into the city (2 or 3 times a month).
Close to Schaumburg there are a few examples of the "big new house on small lot" that developers LOVE in Dallas though I would caution that even the nicest of those areas have experienced horrible price reversals in our area. It makes far more sense to buy something that is in a more mature area with stable values. You might not get the 3car garage but with things like basements and yard sheds pretty much standard you won't need that space for either storage or the "bonus media room over the garage". Basements stay much cooler in summer and warmer in winter, great place for big screen TV and kid hang-out. Keep the lawn mover in a shed along with bicycles off season and you won't need a cavernous garage. Easy to get used to...

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn View Post
Ah, yes; where the streets have no trees!* And there are those goofy alleys and despite all the land these big homes are squeezed into ridiculously small lots. As Chet mentioned, the basement will allow you to live as well in less SF.
(to borrow from U-2's song "Where the Streets have No Name)

Ok, OK I know some areas do have trees but so many newer developments in the Metroplex don't. And that often is the same problem with buying new here versus a quality older home. But I understand some love the "moonscape"- I mean prairie look while I, and many other, prefer the presence of mature trees and established, lush landscaping. That is one of the main advantages of living here- more trees, larger trees, more greenery.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 AM

51 posts, read 94,435 times
It's official - I accepted the position in Schaumburg and will be relocating over the next several months. I am going to narrow my search down to the following areas Barrington, Lake Barrington, Deer Park, Inverness, Long Grove, and Arlington heights. I do plan to take several trips up to get a better feel for each location. Like I mentioned in my above posts - the schools will be the most important factor to start. But, I believe that all these areas have great school districts. Any other insight that I should consider would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM

When you compare homes, be sure to look at your taxes. Taxes in Lake County are more $$ than taxes in Cook Co.
SO the Barrington home south of Lake Cook Rd. may be a better option than north of Lake Cook Rd.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
When you compare homes, be sure to look at your taxes. Taxes in Lake County are more $$ than taxes in Cook Co.
SO the Barrington home south of Lake Cook Rd. may be a better option than north of Lake Cook Rd.
How do I say this---- but Cubs-Sox advice really needs to have an asterisk next to it. Although technically correct that Cook County taxes are lower today than Lake County, keep these points in mind:

1. Cook County is broke. Flat out mis-managed and broke. Sales tax, usage taxes, municipal "hidden taxes" are high---and likely to sky rocket as the county looks to increase revenue. Villages are actively trying to cede from Cook County. Cook County has to look for ways to fund vital services and may have to eventually help Chicago stave off bankruptcy.

2. Lake County is very well run with a balanced budget and offers stability tax-wise compared to cook county. Sales tax is 2+ percent lower. Vital services are secure, no huge deficits.

My advice would be, when near a border to cook county (be it Lake, Dupage, Will, etc)---- choose the county of residence that makes more sense over the course of your 30 year mortgage than looking at todays property tax bill. Translated: Run, Run as fast as you can away from Cook County!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Default Accurate info would be more helpful than a diatribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
How do I say this---- but Cubs-Sox advice really needs to have an asterisk next to it. Although technically correct that Cook County taxes are lower today than Lake County, keep these points in mind:

1. Cook County is broke. Flat out mis-managed and broke. Sales tax, usage taxes, municipal "hidden taxes" are high---and likely to sky rocket as the county looks to increase revenue. Villages are actively trying to cede from Cook County. Cook County has to look for ways to fund vital services and may have to eventually help Chicago stave off bankruptcy.

2. Lake County is very well run with a balanced budget and offers stability tax-wise compared to cook county. Sales tax is 2+ percent lower. Vital services are secure, no huge deficits.

My advice would be, when near a border to cook county (be it Lake, Dupage, Will, etc)---- choose the county of residence that makes more sense over the course of your 30 year mortgage than looking at todays property tax bill. Translated: Run, Run as fast as you can away from Cook County!

I have 2500SF home, about 1/5-1/4 acre in a more highly taxed area of Cook Co. with good services and schools. My property tax is about $9000 on house value of $450-$500K.

Client I asked yesterday lives in Lisle with Naperville schools. Similar house size, smaller lot and he pays $11,500. Relative lives in Buffalo Grove-Stevenson District (Lake Co.) and has smaller townhome and much smaller lot and pays $9200 in taxes.

I'm not a big fan of Cook Co. either, but a vast majority of my property taxes go to local school, community college, library, police/fire, local streets and then way at the bottom is county road, mosquito abatement and other county taxes. They make up a very tiny portion of the bill. I would imagine your property tax bill is similar in that the biggest chunks go locally before you get to the county wide agencies!
So my advice is to really research your property tax bill, because if you are paying $2-3000 more per year that can add up to another $250 per month. And how consistently do property taxes go down? Lake Co, like Cook Co., also needs to fund public employees pensions and health care in addition to occasional raises so I doubt highly that the gap will be eliminated.
I like Lake Co. but your post is filled with inaccuracies. A lot of the fees and taxes are paid by Chicago residents but are fees I have never paid. And if shopping really comes into play, live near LAke Cook Road and shop in Lake County.

Quote:
The median property tax in Lake County, Illinois is $6,285 per year for a home worth the median value of $287,300. Lake County collects, on average, 2.19% of a property's estimated fair market value as property tax.
Lake County has one of the highest median property tax rates in the United States, and is ranked 15th of the 3143 counties in order of average property taxes.
The average yearly property tax paid by Lake County residents amounts to about 6.76% of their yearly income. Lake County is ranked 18th of the 3143 counties for property taxes as a percentage of median income. Lake County Illinois Property Taxes - 2012
Quote:
The median property tax in Cook County, Illinois is $3,681 per year for a home worth the median value of $265,800. Cook County collects, on average, 1.38% of a property's estimated fair market value as property tax.
Cook County has one of the highest median property tax rates in the United States, and is ranked 91st of the 3143 counties in order of average property taxes.
The average yearly property tax paid by Cook County residents amounts to about 5.09% of their yearly income. Cook County is ranked 69th of the 3143 counties for property taxes as a percentage of median income.
BIG DIFFERENCE!! Although neither is any bargain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs