Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM

207 posts, read 702,952 times

Advertisements

My move to Madison, Wisconsin was cancelled. Instead, due to a job transfer; my family is moving to Aurora, IL. We were looking for homes in the Cowherd Middle School area, what's the review of the area. Predominant ethnicity? I'm in High School, so I'll be attending East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I hope your parents are not really limiting themselves to just homes in the area served by East Aurora, it is one of the worst performing districts in the region . The middle schools are pretty awful: HENRY W COWHERD MIDDLE SCHOOL: School Profile

With a little bit of searching it ought not be hard to find a home in a safer part of the region with better performing schools. Rental costs are likely only incrementally higher.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM

169 posts, read 550,860 times
Ditto Chet. District 204 in Aurora that borders Naperville would be a good start.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I hope your parents are not really limiting themselves to just homes in the area served by East Aurora, it is one of the worst performing districts in the region .

With a little bit of searching it ought not be hard to find a home in a safer part of the region with better performing schools. Rental costs are likely only incrementally higher.
I'm in High School, so I'd be at East. I know that East is a very awful school and district; but I've attended some pretty bad schools (White Center schools in Seattle)

Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM

We're also considering an apartment or condo (if there's one) in the West Aurora district. It's a step up from East most likely.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default It would be wiser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanRabbitt View Post
We're also considering an apartment or condo (if there's one) in the West Aurora district. It's a step up from East most likely.
As I stated the performance of East Aurora schools is signficantly behind that of the West Aurora schols. With careful shopping the cost differnce for rentals can be quite small...

Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM

203 posts, read 386,445 times
Avoid East Aurora High School at all costs.

I know someone who dropped out of that school after being beaten up on a regular basis.

I've visited Aurora frequently. Aurora's west side is a drastic improvement over its east side. This is not to say that the west side of Aurora should be your first choice. You would be much better of in District 204 (as already noted), even those areas within the Aurora city limits. Neighboring areas such as Batavia or Oswego would also be a dramatic improvement.

I've lived in Illinois for many years and have lived and worked in rough areas of other cities. Even the roughest areas of many cities are nowhere near as rough as the roughest areas of Illinois. Being able to survive in the worst areas of Seattle does not mean you'll be OK on the east side of Aurora. The east side of Aurora is probably more dangerous to begin with. This is compounded by you being at much higher risk due to being a newcomer.

That said, does your family have to live in the immediate vicinity of Aurora? The longer you're willing to commute, the more options you have.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
Avoid East Aurora High School at all costs.

I know someone who dropped out of that school after being beaten up on a regular basis.

I've visited Aurora frequently. Aurora's west side is a drastic improvement over its east side. This is not to say that the west side of Aurora should be your first choice. You would be much better of in District 204 (as already noted), even those areas within the Aurora city limits. Neighboring areas such as Batavia or Oswego would also be a dramatic improvement.

I've lived in Illinois for many years and have lived and worked in rough areas of other cities. Even the roughest areas of many cities are nowhere near as rough as the roughest areas of Illinois. Being able to survive in the worst areas of Seattle does not mean you'll be OK on the east side of Aurora. The east side of Aurora is probably more dangerous to begin with. This is compounded by you being at much higher risk due to being a newcomer.

That said, does your family have to live in the immediate vicinity of Aurora? The longer you're willing to commute, the more options you have.
As we used to say: our "Hood" was a joke compared to areas in Oakland, LA, Chicago, New York.

We may also consider North Aurora, Batavia, or St Charles (We despise Geneva; so we'll not even consider it)

Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 AM

720 posts, read 1,085,742 times
I would definitely go with Batavia!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM

90 posts, read 344,464 times
The Cowherd School area is predominantly Hispanic and you will not hear much English being spoken there. If your family is not Hispanic I suspect your parents will have trouble finding a rental there. The surrounding neighborhoods are dangerous. Don't recommend East High School; I should know, my younger sister attended there.

Tell your parents to look into the West side. West is a better school, and rentals are the same cost. If your parents can afford Batavia, North Aurora, or St. Charles, they can afford Naperville or Aurora District 204.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs