Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,002 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating from the UK to the chicago area in the next couple of months due to work and am trying to find the best suburb for me.
I am a 25yr old single woman and don't know anybody out there already so will be looking to meet new people and make friends.
My job is in Lombard so I have been looking at the Downers Grove/Lisle area (haven't heard great things about living in Lombard), and I don't want more than a 30 minute commute.
I will be looking for preferably a 2 bed apartment under $1000 a month, but the main factor for me is that I need to feel safe where I'm living.
Any help/advice you could give me would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Lombard is every bit as safe in terms or violent crime as neighboring Lisle or Downers Grove, you could easily expand your search to those towns as well as Elmhurst and other towns as far west as Naperville. Towns with large retail shopping malls (Yorktown is a regional enclosed mall in Lombard) tend to have higher property crimes -- mostly shop lifting and folks that leave packages in parked cars...

There are undoubtedly more folks your age living inside Chicago that drive out to Lombard every day for work and that is also an option. Crime rates vary quite a bit inside Chicago but most of the desirable areas are generally pretty safe. You can certainly gett an apartment which would be comfortable for a single person and occiasional house guest for $1000, a true two bedroom at that price might be require a little more searching.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 AM

214 posts, read 546,226 times
Lagrange is pretty cool. Maybe check that out. Feels like maybe a little younger demographic than Downers Grove. Chet can opine on that.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM

I don't know that LaGrange would be all that much younger but the local businesses in the core of LaGrange's downtown seem to have a lot more longevity that those in other towns -- I suspect that has more to do with shear traffic than any sort of magically more youthful customer base. I've seen plenty of folks older than me in LaGrange's popular eating spots...

As far as LaGrange being a superior choice for someone working in Lombard I sorta doubt that the extra distance is really worth it (LaGrange tends to be about as pricey as Downers Grove) but I certainly might cross shop apartments there along with the other towns already mentioned -- might be a 25 minute drive instead of 10 but still within the "reasonable distance" that folks are willing to drive to/ from work...

Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM

198 posts, read 822,395 times
$1000/month for a 2 bedroom will be challenging, especially since any apartment listed at that price that is a preferred location like downtown LaGrange or Downers and in good condition will have competition and if you've never worked in the US before, you don't have a ss# and therefore running a credit check through normal sources won't be possible. What I've done is contact the landlord before wasting time viewing the place, explain that there is no social security number (if that is the case) and offer them the letter received from the employer offering the job or transfer abroad that should include salary information. The larger newer complexes typically aren't a problem but they are more expensive so you may want to look into 1 bedrooms with dens depending on why you want a 2nd bedroom. Individually owned condos will include anything that the homeowner pays for in their monthly assessment and sometimes that is heat cost which is a huge savings, at the very least the water and scavenger service is almost always included. Be prepared to pay both a security deposit equal to at least one month's rent along with the first month up front as well as any other deposits such as refundable damage deposit for elevator use, condo move-in/out fees, utility deposits for new service, etc. Estimate 3x the amount of rent.
While LaGrange would probably be a good choice socially because it will allow you to go into the city more often it is as the other posters have mentioned one of those more expensive towns. Going further west like the north part of Naperville or south Wheaton off of Butterfield will yield more results in the price range but the commute won't be 10 minutes. But Lombard is fine, there's nothing more unsafe about it, it has a nice mall with shopping, great dining options, a movie theatre, plus commuter service to the city. Lisle usually has a number of condos with heat included at budget friendly cost. Downers is really nice but again just like others have said it can be pricey, especially the downtown area. The south part will push you over that 10 minute commute, the traffic on 53 is horrid at rush hour so Lisle can also be over 10 minutes, especially the area by 4 Lakes. So if 10 minutes definitely is your max commute, then stick within 2-3 miles of your job.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:57 AM

The OP stated they'd be OK with a 30 minute drive. I just mentioned 10 minutes as the majority of employers in Lombard are also in a fairly narrow area along with many apartmment complexes from 355 to Meyers Rd and except when there is a weather related traffic jam that is about a 10 minute drive...

I agree that true two bedrooms in that price range are rare and when found they tend to be a bit more off the beaten path as opposed to right in the middle of things. A 1 br that has a decent living rm to accomodate a pull-out or futon for occaisional guests is more realistic...

Old 12-25-2012, 09:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Hello - Welcome to the States! I would also like to chip in with my opinion that Lombard is a nice, safe place. There are some nice smaller buildings throughout the entire area, as well as larger high-rise buildings. You may want to look for an apartment rental service where there is expert assistance available. They may know things about international renting and may know of an apartment community where they often rent to internationals. My own personal preference is to life close to work; that is because I do not like to spend too much time commuting. I also like to live near public transportation and in a walkable neighborhood with quiet streets. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs