Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

One of the employees did live in Naperville and used I 55. I am not sure how you would get there by commuter train. Probably ride to La Grange, catch the 330 bus to 63/Archer, then the bus that goes east to 65th St. May not be a bad idea for the winter months. You would get the linkup pass plus an F-C ticket, cost $180.25 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Get real...

The travel time of trying to combine multiple methods of public transit would almost certainly be untenable -- I can't imagine that anyone would seriously consider upwards of two hours of each way a viable alternative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
One of the employees did live in Naperville and used I 55. I am not sure how you would get there by commuter train. Probably ride to La Grange, catch the 330 bus to 63/Archer, then the bus that goes east to 65th St. May not be a bad idea for the winter months. You would get the linkup pass plus an F-C ticket, cost $180.25 a month.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Commuter trains aren't much help to Bedford Park. The Burlington Northern might be a possibility if a car commute isn't possible but it will be a long commute and if you're going to east Bedford probably even longer. Knowing what I know of public transportation I wouldn't attempt to use public transportation in that area at all to get to work. Is this job closer to Harlem Ave or Cicero Ave?

Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 12,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Commuter trains in general will not be a good option to get to Bedfprd Park, the specific lines closest to Bedfrod Park are unlikely to have schedules that would work for any kind of work schedule.

As to commute distance from Naperville the short answer is that while "possible" it is far from ideal -- if you were to be in a portion of southern Naperville it is probably least likely to be far from I-55 and would result travel times of about 45 minutes to and hour. If you were coming from a home closer to the desirability core of Naperville which is farther north you would extend your travel time signficantly... I would recommend choosing other towns closer to try our work site.
This makes sense. Thanks you for pointing out the areas that are more desirable would be a longer commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Speaking of winter months.......do most people have 4wd vehicles for driving in the snow? We are coming from Seattle and when there is even a possibility of snow people here stay home. No doubt the Chicago area, by necessity, is more prepared and experienced in dealing with snow removal and clearing roads. Just wondering if 4wd or snow tires are necessary for getting around during the winter months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The travel time of trying to combine multiple methods of public transit would almost certainly be untenable -- I can't imagine that anyone would seriously consider upwards of two hours of each way a viable alternative...
I agree, a 2 hour commute (each way) would not be an option for us.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 12,856 times
Would Hinsdale be within a 40 min commute?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If I had to make an estimate of what percentage of folks have 4wd I would guess maybe 20%… FWD is fine for most people. The roads are salted like pretzels and generally very safe, though cars rot out fast...

Hinsdale is just a little bit further from Bedford Park than Western Springs but the difficulty is going to be budget -- most homes under $600k are being sold for "land value" -- expectation is builders will be tearing down & rebuilding for about triple...

Old 12-27-2012, 05:48 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Most drivers have two-wheel drive and is not a problem. The only day in the last 20 years I can remember when everyone stayed home was Groundhog Day 2011. Traffic moves slower after heavy snow, perhaps three hours to go 20 miles, but you will get there eventually.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 PM

22 posts, read 52,783 times
Look at Darien, Willowbrook, Woodridge, Hinsdale, Western Springs. Or if you want to look south of Bedford Park--check out Oak Lawn, Palos Hills, etc.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM

22 posts, read 52,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2201 View Post
Would Hinsdale be within a 40 min commute?
That's around 12-15 miles from Hinsdale to Bedford Park and Hinsdale is a really nice area. Houses are pricy, it's a good school district. A good upscale area IMO.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I would focus on Palos Hills, Palos Heights and Palos Park. A decent commute, nice homes well within the price range, very low crime, good schools. A very attractive area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs