Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM

306 posts, read 480,210 times

Advertisements

I have not been up to Libertyville in a long time, did its downtown explode during the housing boom? Last time I was there, there were a few restaraunts/bars on Milwaukee Ave. I gotta get up there and check it out!
Libertyville is very middle american as I remember, a great place to raise a family, with great schools, long trip to the loop though via metra or car. But if staying in Lake county, a great place to live for you are halfway to Chicago and Milwaukee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
It sure did. Some places closed down but were quickly replaced. Library rebuilt. Parking was always a problem, but eased a bit with new parking garage.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM

174 posts, read 524,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclink View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Ideally Libertyville would be our choice. We like the real downtown area and the sense of a community.

Questions:
Is there another community within a reasonable commute (>30min) that comes close to Libertyville in terms of community but more value priced? Looking at $400k roughly.

What about Crystal Lake? Lived there before but what about commute?

Lastly, my wife is a SLP (Speech Language Pathologist) and has been in Illinois schools before. Are there any school districts within a 20minute commute of Libertyville she should pursue, or avoid?

Thanks!
The area just south of the High School is perfect for what you are looking for. Home prices are right around $375k and the drive to Metra is about ten minutes. Here is a home that has been on the market for awhile. Very close to where I am from and just a lovely neighborhood.

1009 Dawes St, Libertyville, IL 60048 - MLS# 08242861 | CENTURY 21

And some others:

http://www.bairdwarner.com/property/...VILLE-Il-60048

http://www.homes.com/listing/168603631

For your wife, the Libertyville schools are awesome. They pay well and are very well funded. Next door, Vernon Hills' school system is great as well. The only place I would say she might want to avoid in her search is Grayslake. They have had funding problems since before I can remember and many of my Libertyville neighbors moved here to escape the Grayslake school system. Their teachers also just got over a strike. Other than that, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Mundelein are fine districts, with the first four named being best.

Last edited by ChicagoBurbs; 03-13-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs