Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,950 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I just returned from a trip to Chicago to look for some homes. We found a couple we liked and wanted to find out some additional information.

Anyone have any opinions on Aurora with Naperville schools in Oakhurst community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,831 times
Elementary schools in Oakhurst are Steck and Young. At greatschools "dot" net, Steck is rated 10, Young is rated 8.
Middle school is Granger. Rated 9 on greatschools "dot" net
High School is Waubonsie. Rated 9 on greatschools "dot" net

Isn't your Realtor helping you with school info? I'm an agent in the area and normally help any relo clients with this info.

Hope that you get some personal opinions from folks whose kids are in these schools. Just keep in mind that it will be their opinoin.

Also, since you're a first time buyer you would be eligible for the Illinois Assist Bond mortgage. Be sure to ask your agent about this program which is like getting free money for help with down payment if you qualify.

Best wishes with your house hunt!
Marlene

Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 AM

356 posts, read 542,855 times
great community

Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 PM

102 posts, read 163,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene815 View Post
Elementary schools in Oakhurst are Steck and Young. At greatschools "dot" net, Steck is rated 10, Young is rated 8.
Middle school is Granger. Rated 9 on greatschools "dot" net
High School is Waubonsie. Rated 9 on greatschools "dot" net

Isn't your Realtor helping you with school info? I'm an agent in the area and normally help any relo clients with this info.

Hope that you get some personal opinions from folks whose kids are in these schools. Just keep in mind that it will be their opinoin.

Also, since you're a first time buyer you would be eligible for the Illinois Assist Bond mortgage. Be sure to ask your agent about this program which is like getting free money for help with down payment if you qualify.

Best wishes with your house hunt!
Marlene
I live in Oakhurst east of Eola.

If you live in Oakhurst and you live WEST of Eola Rd your kids would go to Steck and Granger up to New York, Past New York your kids would go to Young.

If you live in Oakhurst and you live East of Eola your kids would go to McCarty and Still

I personally didn't care for McCarty and Still. When my 5th grader who went to McCarty got promoted to 6th we opted to get an attendance boundary exemption for her to attend Granger Middle School instead of Still. We didn't like the experience our other daughter had at Still. Granger is way better. Their programs are excellent. My daughter who is a junior didn't receive the same attention at Still than what my 8th grader is getting at Granger. The teachers are caring and the adminstration would go out of their way to help families. Of course we have to drive her there and back, but the education she is receiving is worth it.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to PM me

Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,716 times
i don't have a realtor yet--we are relocating and have never been to chicago! i have been looking for rental homes because our transition is moving rather quickly! i would love any information you have, considering you are a realtor. we have also been concentrating our search near aurora, but our two main concerns are safety and schools. my daughter is in kindegarten and I have a 3 year old son. i appreciate any help you could give my family.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
Default School D 204 vs School D 54

I have the same question as firsttimebuyer. We are looking at homes in Fronteac area (Aurora/Eola) community. D204 schools serve this area. How bad is the spill over from east Aurora into this area, like crime, drugs @ school , property vandalism??
I have a 3 yeard old and a 7 month @ home. So get really paranoid, to hear that Aurora has high crime rate.
The other option we have is to look at homes in Schaumburg, with D54 schools. Can any one compare D204 vs D54?? Which schools are better and which is more safe area to raise kids??

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 03:00 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
There is pretty much no real movement of crime from the East Aurora schools portion of Aurora into the nicer parts served by D204. Funny thing too, Aurora PD is really do well with their anti-violence and crime prevention initiatives -- they are seeing their best numbers in years...

D54 is similar in size to D204, the mix of families is a little different and some of the funding issues are rather different. Either area is similar in safety. Where do you work? I can't help but thing that is biggest factor separating these areas...

Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Oakhurst is really nice I have family that lives there. I used to live not far from there. Pretty much any of aurora that filtes into disctrict 204 is going to be an nice area however your area is even nicer than most. I used to live in some duplexes over by montgomery and ogden. Don't get me wron its nice and safe but people didnt really take care of their yards, some sketchy people, etc. Your are of oakhurst is very nice people take care of properties and yards, i believe they have a pool. Plenty of shopping and stuff nearby, not too far from expressways, good schools.

Sounds like you may not be from Chicagoland area. Some people hear Aurora ad are like do you really wanna live there but they generally know nothing about aurora but the repuation it had back in the 90s and even back then downtown and parts of the east side were like a completely different area than like stonebridge and oakhurst and the npaerville schools part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs