Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 02:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,867 times

Advertisements

Ok so my Fiance and I potentially are both looking into job offers in Merrillville, Indiana (me) and Melrose Park. We currently live several thousand miles away and the move may be pretty sudden. I was looking on craigslist and couldn't find much with the info I have.
So, where would be good places to look online for place, and what areas would be a good place to start? We are looking for suburbs, about halfway between each, at least a small yard for our dogs, homes (no apts) and definitely nice neighborhood. We make a good salary so can easily afford $1500 or so but would also like to save some money if possible. We are moving from one of the highest cost of living areas in the country so don't really know what is considered good pricing for housing.
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,963,361 times
Maybe Oak Park if you want something kind of urban. Its quite close to Melrose not close to Merrilville but it is near the expressway system. Some of the south suburbs would be closer to Merrilville but if you are from out of state, there are many south suburbs that are crime ridden. Other suggestions would be Tinley Park, Orland Park, La grange, Oak Forest, Palos Park. Its going to be a difficult commute because these places are not near one another.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:33 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,834,003 times
Both of those cities are far apart, so being near the highway would be your best bet to make it a little less tedious. $1,500 to rent a house won't get you anything fancy, but I think palos hills would fit the bill.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,867 times
Definite thanks! It's a start!

Old 05-26-2013, 03:21 PM

198 posts, read 823,077 times
There are a number of investors that have bought single family homes in and around Oak Lawn and are both renting and selling. Oak Lawn is another mid point location off the expressway that would work, Palos would also work and would be cheap but most of what I've seen there lately are condos and traditional apartments and it sounds like single family is your first choice due to the dog. The prices I have seen recently for these smaller rehabbed homes for rent in Oak Lawn that accept pets are 1500-1600/month. Just like some of the others, I would recommend staying in the southwest burbs off of the expressway, specifically 294.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs