Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 PM

408 posts, read 997,921 times

Advertisements

It's SPRING and time to go outside and weed, garden, and grow vegetables and all that stuff! (except without the cold lately...)
Could anyone suggest a decent, recommendable garden store? (or a tree farm/nursery)

I have searched on Google, and came up with a few good places around me (in Arlington Heights) through Yelp and Google Maps; in fact, I have visited the Mt. Prospect Menards, as well as Pesche's in Des Plaines and found pretty decent stuff. The latter had a better variety of flowers and plants, as well as a wonderful array of flowerpots and holders. However, is there a garden center that you always come back to?

In particular, I am looking for decorative flowerpots for an apartment setting -- can anyone recommend a store that they like (anywhere in Chicagoland) that's worth a visit? I plan on visiting more places, as this is to help my mom with her balcony actually; she was thinking of something like World Market or Pier One Imports, though I hope through these stores I can let her find something a little cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
If you're looking for pots and other outdoor accessories then Garden Ridge on Golf & Meacham in Schaumburg (and there's one on Rt. 59 in Naperville) is worth a visit. The prices are very reasonable there and they have a ton of stuff. The store is about the size of a Home Depot but it is all home stuff. I go there a lot.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Here are two I enjoy going to. Gethsemane is far away on the N. side of Chicago but I love going there once a year its unique. I also have enjoyed Pasquesi.

Pasquesi Home and Gardens

Gethsemane Garden Center in Chicago - Annuals, Perennials, Greenhouse, Trees and Shrubs, Roses, Herbs and Vegetables, Lawn Care, Gardening Tools and Accessories, Fertilizer, Statuary, Fountains, Outdoor Furniture, Wild Pansy, Gifts, Garden and Home D

Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,778 times
Since you live in Arlington Heights, these places should be worth visiting as they are not that far away:

Knupper Nursery & Landscape - 1801 N Rand Rd, Palatine, IL
Atrium Garden Center - 21481 N Rand Rd Kildeer, IL 60047 (Rand Rd & Cuba Rd)
Escazu Nursery - 20820 N Rand Rd Lake Zurich, IL 60047

Of all three, I think Atrium will have the most things you need, but it will be the most expensive too. I go to Escazu once in a while. Its huge, more like a wholesale place and they are priced reasonable.

http://www.atriumgardencenter.com/
http://www.knuppernursery.com/
http://www.escazunursery.com/

Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
If you are into a road trip, Milaegers in Racine is well worth the ride.

Plant Guides

You will not be disappointed.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Planters Pallet in Winfield IL on Rte 38 is really nice.
It is a drive, but Hornbaker Gardens in Princeton, IL is worth the destination.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
If you are in northern AH near Lake Cook Road, try Leiders. It is off Aptakistic in Buffalo Grove. Only place we go - for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs