Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times

Advertisements

About 40% of the houses in Will and Dupage Counties have "elevated" radon levels. I've read several recommendations for mitigation of radon levels higher than 2 ppm in basements, but the EPA only considers levels "dangerous" if they are over 4 ppm. I am purchasing a house that has an existing radon mitigation system, and instead of seeing it as a warning sign, I considered it a bonus. It's never a bad thing to have in a finished basement area, especially if there are bedrooms below grade.

With 40% of homes having this problem across most of Chicagoland, we all have probably been exposed to radon. Outdoor radon levels are almost always higher than 4 ppg inches above the ground, but we still allow our kids to play outside. This is one of those risks that's tricky to evaluate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM

306 posts, read 479,860 times
Follow up question to Chet or anyone with experience with radon. My friends kids got their results and sent them to me for I said I asked individuals on this forum. Told them I was on this forum with a lot of knowledgeable individuals in real estate. Looks like they had 2 devise placed, one in gravel crawl and one in finished part of basement. If reading it right, says over crawl result 1 2.0, detector 2 result 2.0, average 2.0.

Then below it says testing devise continuous radon monitor in basement measured 2.8.

Well, as I said they are getting calls from radon companies saying should be under 2 and the other thing, in which I never heard of is that instead of using carpet to cover gravel crawl, it must be sealed? That seems overkill and a lot of money to me! Thing is they have 2 young kids and the people at the companies said you don't want your kids to have a high risk of lung cancer and the husband used to smoke in college, but quit, they said he is at risk to?
To me lots of red flags and I know there are good and bad people in business, but to me sounds like these people are kinda jerks and using scare tactics since all in all, it passed? Thoughts? Thank you.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM

306 posts, read 479,860 times
One last thing that also got them paranoid is company said radon changes daily and that the two day test is not reliable, correct or incorrect? Thanks again!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
The whole radon business is a scam, you know.

Radon: Risk and Reality

Quote:
A large portion of the general population is under the impression that the scientific community has concluded that exposure to indoor radon conclusively causes cancer, and that there is scientific consensus of this "fact." Most people are not aware of the fact that there are actually no conclusive studies that have ever demonstrated that exposure to indoor radon, as commonly seen in the overwhelming vast majority of houses, increases the risk of cancer by any amount, and in fact, in the larger and better studies, what we see is that the risk of cancer actually goes down with increasing radon concentrations; to a critical elevated level (not seen in houses) wherein the risk then begins to rise. But those kinds of radon levels where risk increases is virtually never seen in houses.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
There is a science-y basis to the desire to reduce exposure to radon, I would not call the whole thing a money making sideshow.
There is also truth to the fact that radon levels do change daily, in fact as radon itself decays into various substances it is worthwhile to understand both the halflife of those decay products and the mechanism that effect radon production:

Radon decay chain -- half lives -- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Influence of indoor air conditions on rad... [J Environ Radioact. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

As a matter of principle I recommend against doing business with anyone that uses scare tactics to further their sales... Appeal to fear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs