Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,013 times

Advertisements

Guys-

Thanks for all of the help. Its been awesome!

So I looked at Evanston, but rentals there for me (2+ bedrooms with big yard for dogs) are nonexistent under $2300.00. The houses Im looking at now are right at $2000 which is good for me.

I'm trying to decide on a place in Glenview right off of Golf and the highway and a place in Vernon Hills. It seems like Vernon Hills is cookie cutter but has everything and is only 3-4 miles from work. Realistically, I don't see myself getting out to the city during the week- I'm a workaholic, so I am leaning towards this place. The Glenview location is definitely closer to the city, but I wonder if I'll get sick of the commute (Lake Forest).

I'm torn because Glenview seems great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:51 AM

369 posts, read 759,718 times
I'm voting for Vernon Hills. It doesn't sound like you'll be in the city enough to make living in Glenview worth the commute. Plus, Glenview is in Cook County which has higher taxes. Vernon Hills has a fair share of 20-somethings thanks to several condo developments that have gone up in the past 5 years. I'm the same age as you and while I no longer live in the area I was raised there and have a few friends who still do. A great and popular hangout place for people our age is the Beer Market, it's on the border of Vernon Hills and Lincolnshire so I'm not sure which one it's technically in. It's a giant bar with an outdoor patio, and they allow you to bring in your food or have one of the several restaurants nearby deliver. Down the road from the Beer Market is Viper Alley, a small concert venue. I've never been there but one of my friends has. I think it caters to a slightly older demographic, as my dad & uncle have been there too, but it depends on what act is playing. Across the street is Cubby Bear North, another very popular hangout for people our age. So you can definitely get some nightlife in without making the trip to the city. An important thing to note when you do take the train into Chicago is that the line the Vernon Hills station is on, North Central Service, has a limited schedule. It's primarily meant for those who commute into the city for work. For a long time they only had weekday service, that may have changed since I moved away, I'm not sure. You'll be much better off driving east and getting on at the West Lake Forest or Deerfield stations which are on the MD-N line. I lived within walking distance of the Buffalo Grove station (also on the NCS) and I drove to the Deerfield station.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 12,013 times
Is there significant traffic on 294 and 94 between Glenview to Lake Forest in the AM and vice versa in the PM? Basically, is the reverse commute bad? If the Glenview location is 17 miles away from work (both work and place right off 294), what does my expected commute time look like?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:10 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
Sorry, but Cubby Bear North is an absolute joke compared to nightlife venues in the city including the original Cubby Bear in Wrigleyville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
Across the street is Cubby Bear North, another very popular hangout for people our age. So you can definitely get some nightlife in without making the trip to the city.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 PM

523 posts, read 840,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Sorry, but Cubby Bear North is an absolute joke compared to nightlife venues in the city including the original Cubby Bear in Wrigleyville.
so true. I have lived here all my life and definitely a burbs woman, but the nightlife is not good for 20 somethings. I would probably prefer Schaumburg or Oak Brook over Lincolnshire, but nothing close to what the city can offer.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:33 PM

523 posts, read 840,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLOVE86 View Post
Is there significant traffic on 294 and 94 between Glenview to Lake Forest in the AM and vice versa in the PM? Basically, is the reverse commute bad? If the Glenview location is 17 miles away from work (both work and place right off 294), what does my expected commute time look like?
I am sure the traffic would be fairly light since it's reverse commute and you aren't near the city. I am guessing 30 mins max? Honestly though I think Glenview would be a mistake. You are making your daily commute worse and I don't think it will make much difference in your weekend trip to the city.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 AM

I beg to differ a little bit on this one. I almost got involved with a commission-based mortgage banking gig at a company in the West Loop. I decided to part ways for various reasons, but the young gentleman (probably early to mid-30's now) who would've been my manager actually lived in Glenview. Turns out he grew up in Glenview as well. Needless to say, he commuted daily (via CAR, not the train) into that West Loop office. On top of that, he had SEASON TICKETS to the Chicago Blackhawks. How bad-ass right? I bet you anything he was at that Triple OT Stanley Cup classic earlier tonight against Boston. The weekend trip to the city has to be better. Just look at the sheer mileage from Glenview to the United Center:

Glenview to United Center: 18.1 miles or 29 minutes without traffic
Vernon Hills (Hawthorn Center Mall) to United Center: 35 miles or 44 minutes without traffic

So with traffic, picture Glenview to the United Center taking a bit over an hour and Vernon Hills to the United Center taking about 1 hour and 40 minutes (maybe even more), plus way more gas being burned on both ends. I'd say it's still way easier to get to the city when you look at it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
You are making your daily commute worse and I don't think it will make much difference in your weekend trip to the city.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM

166 posts, read 357,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
It would be the longest suggested commute, but why not look at Evanston?
I disagree with that. If youre 26 with no kids/family, Go Big or Go Home!!. Move to a N Side community or live as close as possible to work. Libertyville, Vernon Hills and Glenview are all very boring if you like going to bars, concerts, restaurants etc. None of those exist in quantity and quality you will get in Chicago.

I've commuted from Lincoln Park to Lake Forest on a daily basis. It was a bear at times, however I don't regret doing it.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM

Also from Lincoln Park you could potentially hop on the Union Pacific North Metra line via the Ravenswood or Clybourn stops. From Bucktown / Wicker Park, you're not too far from the Clybourn stop either. Just depends where in Lake Forest your office is. If it's in downtown Lake Forest, you're golden with the train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Series View Post
I disagree with that. If youre 26 with no kids/family, Go Big or Go Home!!. Move to a N Side community or live as close as possible to work. Libertyville, Vernon Hills and Glenview are all very boring if you like going to bars, concerts, restaurants etc. None of those exist in quantity and quality you will get in Chicago.

I've commuted from Lincoln Park to Lake Forest on a daily basis. It was a bear at times, however I don't regret doing it.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Series View Post

The poster seemed worried about the commute so I didn't want to suggest something too much further. I personally would rather live in Chicago than Evanston from a single standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs