Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 15,487 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from Des Moines, IA to the Chicago area for his job. This will be our second move with his company...we are originally from Atlanta, GA. Just looking for some advice on places to live!

His job involves him working some from home and visiting several dealers on the south side of Chicagoland...as far west as Ottawa and as far east as Michigan City, IN. Most of the dealers are between Joliet and Merrillville, IN. His territory is much larger now so he is very used to driving long distances, although I think it will be a perk for him if he's relatively close to the majority of the dealers.

Also, our son competes in gymnastics! I know Chicago is known for men's gymnastics, but I'm having a hard time finding gyms with boys teams on the south side. I would commute up to an hour or so if needed. This is very important in our decision.

I have been told to choose Indiana due to the taxes, but again, hard to find a gym there. I would prefer a small town...I am drawn to Beecher, IL. We really don't have a need to commute into downtown other than for weekend entertainment...unless its for the gym.

Here's what we need/want:
3-4 bedroom house under 250k
Excellent school district
Near boys team gymnastics (any suggestions?)
In and around south of Chicago or NWI

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I would focus on NW Indiana given the territory he has to cover and your budget.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
There are many boys gymnasium clubs in the Chicago area. Your area is not in the 2i7, 309, or 618 telephone area code. You most likely will find what you seek in the 815 and 845 telephone area codes.

I found towns in the south and west that could conceivably work as your husband also drives to Ottawa more likely via I-80. My dad did the same as your husband in IA, IL and IN for 40 years. I would not buy anything, anywhere until my husband was familiar with his territory, where each target company is located, how often he is required to visit each, and how quicky he learns surface routes. Chicago area travel is not by measured by mileage, it is measured by minutes and surface routes. In lousy weather 8 miles can mean 45 minutes through city streets and stoplights. It would serve no purpose, for instance, to live an hour West if the manority of his time is spent East near the lake.

Cook County is 1000 square miles. The City of Chicago is nearly 100 square miles, You can find 90 hospitals and probably a 1000 schools. He probably won't want must farther south or west than these places where I found gyms: Flossmore, Homewood, Joliet, Romeoville, Naperville, Aurora and Plano. Of these the most rural is Plano. It is WSW of Aurora and near Sandwich. Rural areas in Illinois are *not* customarily served by AT&T or Comcast (if Internet is important), plus cell phone service can be spotty.

Gymnastics in IL. Here is a phone number and email for nearly every listing. Information on Indiana gymnastic clubs is scattered with no cohesive list of clubs or contacts. The Illinois list is provided below.

Gymnastics in Illinois USA

Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Homewood and Flossmoor are both right by 1-80 and about a half hour east of Joliet and a half hour west of Merrillville. Focusing on NWI doesn't make any sense because Joliet is pretty west. Flossmoor isn't even THAT close to Indiana (compared to places like Lansing and South Holland) but living in Flossmoor, I'd say I'm pretty central located in the area you've defined.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You most likely will find what you seek in the 815 and 845 telephone area codes.
No.

Driving east on I-80: From about Ottawa to New Lenox it will be 815. From about Orland Park to Calumet City, it will be 708. And from Hammond to Michigan City it will be 219.

Last edited by urza216; 07-18-2013 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 08:20 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,693 times
You may want to look into the Munster school district and the Lake Central schools in Indiana... out of anywhere in NW Indiana, those would be the areas where you might find either a school program or a gym.

Homewood/Floosmoor sounds like it would also be a good choice, location-wise.

Romeoville is much farther west; Naperville and Aurora are much farther north and west and would make for a difficult commute for your husband.

I noticed there are many New Lenox, Mokena, Plainfield and Tinley Park gyms on the link that Linicx posted... I wonder if Tinley would work as a location for you to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs