Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times

Advertisements

So you basically spent an hour on the train looking at the backs of buildings and decided the city is decrepit?

Brilliant.

It goes without saying the built environment here is very different from any city in California. If it's not to your taste, then it's not to your taste. But riding on train lines that basically roll through the industrial parts of town and down alleyways is no way to judge a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,998,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So you basically spent an hour on the train looking at the backs of buildings and decided the city is decrepit?

Brilliant.

It goes without saying the built environment here is very different from any city in California. If it's not to your taste, then it's not to your taste. But riding on train lines that basically roll through the industrial parts of town and down alleyways is no way to judge a city.
Exactly the point I was trying to make, though Drover said it better.

OP, if you want to see well maintained yards and new roads and all that, then I really think the suburbs are a better fit. The architecture is less interesting by many standards, but it sounds like the cleanness is more important to you. I am somewhat the same way; while I appreciate the architectural beauty found in many Chicago neighborhoods, the unkempt yards really detract from things for me. I much prefer the downtown cores of the suburbs. If it wasn't so far from Chicago (my job) I would love to live in downtown Geneva. Downtown Naperville and Glen Ellyn (among many others) are also nice, IMO. You really should check some of the suburbs out, I think.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,834,536 times
Skokie and the neighborhoods around Midway aren't exactly known for their physical beauty. Just sayin'!

Most people who compare Chicago to New York say that Chicago appears cleaner and better maintained. But no northern cold-climate city will have the lush landscaping and sunny look that California cities have. Though I find much of Los Angeles and cities like Fresno very depressing, so it's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,256,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I felt the same way when I moved from N. Georgia back to Chicago and I lived here all my life except for 1 year. N. Georgia has beautiful forested hills and lovely farm lands, with well paved roads, and a much milder climate.

When I came back to Chicago all I saw was ugly broken up concrete roads, parking lots, and buildings with half dead grass. I wanted and really still do want to move back there but I am taking care of an ailing mother and there were no decent job prospects down there after I got laid off.
Yeah, I understand your point of view. My wife and I were driving on a recent trip in georgia and I said how beautiful it was and that it reminded me of parts of Wisconsin...she said she agreed (but more rolling) and we talked about how pretty things were...but then she said, "but I wouldn't want to live here." I agreed.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:40 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,256,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Skokie and the neighborhoods around Midway aren't exactly known for their physical beauty. Just sayin'!

Most people who compare Chicago to New York say that Chicago appears cleaner and better maintained. But no northern cold-climate city will have the lush landscaping and sunny look that California cities have. Though I find much of Los Angeles and cities like Fresno very depressing, so it's in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
I lived in SoCal for about a decade and loved my time there, but I personally don't find much beauty there unless I am at the ocean or in the mountains. The rest is visually pretty sad to me.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:23 PM

26 posts, read 39,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

I'm moving away from Socal, so no need to convince me LA is depressing. = ) Also, I don't really find Southern California very beautiful, but Northern certainly is.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Brilliant.

Points taken, but I did spend a few days in Chicago and got around by train/bus and car. Granted not enough to make an accurate assessment, that's why I've taken to the forum so that people can fill in the gaps in my understanding of the city.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 PM

223 posts, read 663,235 times
So your only real exposure to the city was walking around Navy Pier??

Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
And staring at industrial areas and the backs of buildings from the L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanY View Post
Points taken, but I did spend a few days in Chicago and got around by train/bus and car. Granted not enough to make an accurate assessment, that's why I've taken to the forum so that people can fill in the gaps in my understanding of the city.
I don't know what to tell you. If you expect a tidy, sanitized environment, you're never going to find it in a weathered, old-school legacy city like Chicago. Which, by the way, is generally considered freakishly clean compared to east coast cities like NYC (which curiously you found more aesthetically pleasant), Philly, Baltimore, etc. If you think Chicago's decrepit, you'd probably think Philly or Baltimore were landfills with buildings sticking out of them.

You want lush green hills and bountiful forests? You're not going to find them around here. This place got scraped flat by glaciers the last time they came down this way. They also deposited lots of minerals as they retreated that made this some of the best farmland on planet Earth, so what forests there were (much of this was prairie/grassland anyway) got cleared away to feed people. Then some of that farmland turned into homes to house people. To use a tired phrase, "it is what it is." Take it or leave it.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doglover5 View Post
You have very poor reading comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs