Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times

Advertisements

10 students charged in Rich South High School fight | abc7chicago.com

"Students call it crazy. Police call it a major disturbance."

I'm sorry but I laughed at that part. You know they're calling it crazy because it's an unusual occurrence, right? Just checking.

Kids these days.. Whatever happened to the good old days. When I was at Rich East, some girl sliced the hell out of another girl with a razor blade. But... Bomb threats? A whole bunch kids and one teacher getting the crap beat out of them in one incident? Man, these south suburban teenagers are really out-doing us. LMAO

Have the far south suburbs "changed"? Honestly, I'm not so sure they've changed so much in the past ten years. 20 years maybe.

End rant. Thoughts?

Last edited by urza216; 10-02-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
I read that they no longer allow night football games because of potential violence. I'm class of '97 from South and things sure have changed. When I went there a few years ago to get a transcript, they had armed guards and metal detectors at the visitor entrance. Sure didn't have that when I was there.

The school has gone downhill dramatically, sure glad my kids won't be going there.

Also read that some kids are charged with felonies. Kids these days don't seem to understand the concept that there are certain things you do in life that will follow you around: felonies, DUI's, dishonorable discharge from the military, etc. that can always be held against you. The sooner they learn, the better.

I just loved, on FB, how adults were trying to blame the administration for busing kids to a "rival" school when they were just trying to keep accountability of the kids. Okay, so they let the kids go home early, what about the kids who don't have rides? What if they get hit by a car or get hurt some other way? Is the school responsible for that? If a kid gets into a car accident, who gets blamed? When I went there, a rivalry meant sports and maybe a fistfight but that was it, not bomb threats or fire alarms being pulled.

As long as adults continue to blame everyone but the kids for this type of animalistic behavior, our future is screwed.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 PM

I found these comments on the interwebz interesting:
Attached Thumbnails
There was a mini riot at Rich South High School in south suburban Richton Park-image.jpg  

Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM

144 posts, read 182,845 times
And in other news, a security guard was killed at Thornwood while he tried breaking up a fight.
Cops: Thornwood security guard dies after being hurt breaking up fight - Chicago Tribune

Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra<3 View Post
And in other news, a security guard was killed at Thornwood while he tried breaking up a fight.
Cops: Thornwood security guard dies after being hurt breaking up fight - Chicago Tribune
By "security gaurd," you mean a cop, right? Or is it different in that district?

I know it's nice and sensationalistic but I can't help but think there's a little bit more to the story than that. So the security gaurd was killed by one of the fighting students but NOT the other fighting student?

Besides, that area (read: Harvey) has for a long time had a much nastier reputation than the southern edge of Cook County. It's a lot more shocking to me that something like this happened in Rich Township. If you make no distinction between Richton Park and Harvey, there is a problem..

Somewhere out there, Allen2323 has something to say about this...

Old 10-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
By "security gaurd," you mean a cop, right? Or is it different in that district?

I know it's nice and sensationalistic but I can't help but think there's a little bit more to the story than that. So the security gaurd was killed by one of the fighting students but NOT the other fighting student?

Besides, that area (read: Harvey) has for a long time had a much nastier reputation than the southern edge of Cook County. It's a lot more shocking to me that something like this happened in Rich Township. If you make no distinction between Richton Park and Harvey, there is a problem..

Somewhere out there, Allen2323 has something to say about this...
I meant school security officer. Not an actual cop. Just for kicks, I posted these two events in the PO&C section. Can't wait to see those anti Chicago conservatives take off. LOL.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra<3 View Post
I meant school security officer. Not an actual cop. Just for kicks, I posted these two events in the PO&C section. Can't wait to see those anti Chicago conservatives take off. LOL.
The school security officers at Rich Township high schools ARE cops (or "police liaisons"). You're tellin me that in Harvey and South Holland, they have wimpy rent-a-cops?

Last edited by urza216; 10-03-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.Dee View Post
dee dee cee cee hee hee DEECHEE!!!!!
Deechee hasn't even posted in years. Am I not hated enough to have my own troll?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Deechee hasn't even posted in years. Am I not hated enough to have my own troll?
Lol. They trolled my thread on the Politics Forum. Everyone thinks they're really a teacher representing Rich South.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:18 PM

151 posts, read 413,694 times
Class of '98, Rich East here. Depressing to see, Rich Township schools were already getting rougher by the late 90's, but something like this was still unfeasible back then. If I ever move back to Chicagoland I still wouldn't mind living in the area because I'm single, but if I had a family? No way unless I could afford to pay for 12 years of private schools..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs