Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 05:45 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

I have a job in the western burbs, and was thinking of moving out there around Naperville/Lisles, but am afraid I would not like it and regret it. The rent would be about the same for the complex I'm looking at (four lakes), but it seems to be a good complex for young professionals. My main issue isn't necessarily the commute, its just I'm getting tired of living in the city. I'm ready for a more natural setting and more laid back atmosphere and people. I would definitely make the move if I had a girlfriend, but being single I am more hesitant. I'm just afraid I might have a case of the "grass is greener", and I might not like it. Anyone else been through a similar situation?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
As long as you rent you can move wherever you want when the lease is up...

Old 12-01-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As long as you rent you can move wherever you want when the lease is up...
Yes mr obvious. The point is that I don't want to spend a year of my life in an area I'm not happy in and then move back again.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:11 PM

How important is the fact that you "don't have a girlfriend"? There are plenty of singles in their 20s / 30s that live in the suburbs, specifically at / near the Four Lakes complex in Lisle. They almost certainiy do not believe living there is wasting a year of their life...

Maybe if you take some time to figure out what about living in the city has made you long for a more natural setting / laid back atmosphere / people you would be better off than worrying about moving back to someplace you are not happy with but you have not even left yet...

Moving within the region is generally pretty easy and if you already drive to work I bet the shorter commute by itself would help your overall mood.

I got to tell you that I have known kids your age that even worked downtown and when they really thought about what they wanted out of their life some choose to live in places like LaGrange where the short commute via Metra made it easy for them to do things they enjoyed like taking a bike ride through the Forest Preserve or fishing in the DesPlaines River...

Old 12-01-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
How important is the fact that you "don't have a girlfriend"? There are plenty of singles in their 20s / 30s that live in the suburbs, specifically at / near the Four Lakes complex in Lisle. They almost certainiy do not believe living there is wasting a year of their life...

Maybe if you take some time to figure out what about living in the city has made you long for a more natural setting / laid back atmosphere / people you would be better off than worrying about moving back to someplace you are not happy with but you have not even left yet...

Moving within the region is generally pretty easy and if you already drive to work I bet the shorter commute by itself would help your overall mood.

I got to tell you that I have known kids your age that even worked downtown and when they really thought about what they wanted out of their life some choose to live in places like LaGrange where the short commute via Metra made it easy for them to do things they enjoyed like taking a bike ride through the Forest Preserve or fishing in the DesPlaines River...
Thanks

Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
it really depends on what your looking for. alot of people will say anything besides the city sucks. naperville really isn't too bad for nightlife, if your gonna be anywhere but the city id say its about the best. 20 bars or so wthin walking distance, plenty of shopping and restaurants. id recommend being somewhat close to an expressway as if your at the far southend of naperville it can be 30 or 40 minutes just to get to 88.

four lakes is nice, lots of young people, a bar within their community you can walk to, you can go skiing in hte winter, rent boats in the summer, lots of volleyball leagues and other activities. i beliee they have a free shuttle that goes to train station everymornign and i know they used to have complimentary coffee and breakfast over in the lodge or community center or whatever it is.

if you like the city and want to be in the city obvoiusly naperville and lisle is not that but if you wanna kinda get away from the hustle and bustle, wanna be able to drive places, park your car, etc its very nice

Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,991 times
The only people under 40 I know of that moved from the city to the suburbs are long-term/married couples, and people with roots in the suburbs. I'm a transplant and I've been in the northwest suburbs for a few years now. As a young man from the east coast, the dating situation is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Based on my experience the "bad" is the lack of opportunities/singles, and more reliance on online dating... the "good" is that people are more realistic and less picky/casual... many of the people in this area I've met that have been here their whole entire life agree with me. If you want to live at a slower pace with an easier commute and lower cost of living in exchange for a lack of amenities and entertainment, then knock yourself out.

Last edited by ASOT; 12-07-2013 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 AM

So much depends on simple life priorities -- as I said when I worked in the Loop there were very few ( if any) single co-workers in their 20s / 30s living in the burbs. Working in the suburbs I have met a good number of folks that have made the move. For most yet biggest factor was access to the kinds of activities that they considered a priority. Mostly this included things that are "outdoor focused" like competitive bicycling, fishing, or outdoor activity. Sports like hockey and certain endurance running, and to a lesser extent shooting sports...

Old 12-08-2013, 09:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
So much depends on simple life priorities -- as I said when I worked in the Loop there were very few ( if any) single co-workers in their 20s / 30s living in the burbs. Working in the suburbs I have met a good number of folks that have made the move. For most yet biggest factor was access to the kinds of activities that they considered a priority. Mostly this included things that are "outdoor focused" like competitive bicycling, fishing, or outdoor activity. Sports like hockey and certain endurance running, and to a lesser extent shooting sports...
I'll bet that the biggest factor is still education....once they get married, and the kids start to come, then the exodus continues, right on schedue..

Old 12-08-2013, 06:10 PM

Well yeah, but there are sane people that have devoted time to "learning how to jump through the hoops" that manage to live inside Chicago with school aged kids too. It is not really getting all that much easier because even though CPS has announced expansion of schools like Coonley (that have been "over utilized", a CPS euphemism for "packed to the gills"...) and Payton (which has probably more stringent selection criteria than some Ivy League schools) the housing costs in these areas are insane -- Op-Ed: Gentrification's Impact on Neighborhood Schools' Success - The Chicago Bureau

The OP / thread title do however specifically mention SINGLES and the fact remains that even for those without school aged children Chicago is not universally attractive to those without kids -- various employment situations and recreational pursuits clearly are easier in some suburbs than the city itself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs