Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 AM

356 posts, read 542,855 times

Advertisements

I gave you the link to CTA above-- did you not see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 AM

162 posts, read 803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qw3rty View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am working within city limits, the very southern end, 122nd. I'll be taking a closer look at the South Loop... I am also considering the Lincoln Park neighborhood as well, a few friends have given me that recommendation too. Though, I am concerned about the commute, what kind of rough time estimate would the commute from Lincoln to the south side in rush hour be? Much appreciated everyone.
For public transportation, check WCJ's link, but if you drive and you live in the South Loop - maybe 25-40 min, depending on traffic and weather. Not a bad commute at all - unless it snows, then every commute is a nightmare.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,755 times
The drive from Lincoln Park could be pretty bad - you'd have to plan for at least an hour, maybe 75 minutes. Assuming you were in the DePaul area, you'd need 15 minutes to get to the expressway, then you will be slow going on the expressway into downtown, and then you should do better southbound after Roosevelt Road.

As for South Loop, you'd want to stay in the area between Jackson and Roosevelt east of the river; farther south (I, like an earlier poster, live in the South Loop south of Roosevelt) is outside the collegiate area. The added benefit of a South Loop location is that you're walking distance to downtown and all the cultural amenities that you'll want to soak up in your time here.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:33 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
If you move to Lincoln Park you need to factor in the cost of renting a parking space or the time in finding a space. It would be best to practice arriving home each day at 5:45 when the "no parking 6am to 6pm" spaces open up.

Or, you could consider Hyde Park which does have on-street parking.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
If you move to Lincoln Park you need to factor in the cost of renting a parking space or the time in finding a space. It would be best to practice arriving home each day at 5:45 when the "no parking 6am to 6pm" spaces open up.

Or, you could consider Hyde Park which does have on-street parking.
Excellent points. A parking spot would be a MUST in the South Loop as well.

Hyde Park is one of my favorite neighborhoods, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a 20-year-old spending a few months in the city. The U. of C. social scene is pretty sedate and you're a little remote from all the attractions downtown that you'd want to take advantage of during your stay in the city. If the commute thing is hugely important, however, I'd definitely suggest Hyde Park over the south suburbs or, for that matter, any city neighborhood farther south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs