Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,463 times

Advertisements

Grayslake has gotten very trashy over the past 3-4 years. Significant increase in crime, nothing really to do other than drive in your car somewhere else. Taxes are very high for what you get... Not sure of the reason for this...crime increase- influx of navy folks, or what..but we are looking to move...maybe libertyville, Deerfield or glen view...which all have better schools and proportional taxes. Waukegan/gurnee-itis has definitely spread west to Grayslake. We've had 2 vehicle break ins in the past 2 years us and our neighbors and other crimes on increase. Time to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 PM

337 posts, read 930,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by De atta View Post
Grayslake has gotten very trashy over the past 3-4 years. Significant increase in crime,
The crime stats for Grayslake here on City Data show that crime has been at the same low level (100-150) from 1999 to 2011. Unless there's been a sudden spike in the last year or so, I'm skeptical of your statement.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:26 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
The crime stats for Grayslake here on City Data show that crime has been at the same low level (100-150) from 1999 to 2011. Unless there's been a sudden spike in the last year or so, I'm skeptical of your statement.
It seems many people don't understand statistics on city data.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It seems many people don't understand statistics on city data.
Here's how their thought process works: I, or someone I know, was the victim of a crime. Therefore, crime is going up.

Using that logic, the City of Chicago must be one of the safest places in the world, since I lived there for over a decade and had very little trouble with crime.

It's important to not get caught up in anecdotal evidence when talking about crime levels. Most people are eventually a victim of some sort of crime in their lifetime.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 AM

158 posts, read 302,337 times
One think I have never understood about Lake County is the taxes. They are just off the wall! They are worse than Cook County. In the nice part of Zion for example the rural part where all the new homes are Taxes are over 5 Grand a year for homes that are worth less 150K. These homes have all been built over the last 20 to 25 years. My Cousin lives on the West End of Zion near 173 & 131 and his home is less than 10 years old and he is paying almost 6 Grand a year in taxes for a home that is worth less than 150K. Homes may be cheaper in so parts of Lake County but Taxes are much worse.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
Grayslake does not have a crime problem. Neither does Gurnee. If anything the standard of living has improved since 2000. As for something to do in Grayslake? To the east of Grayslake is a theme park, indoor water park, mega mall with a new upscale wing, trampoline park, ice rink, Lake Michigan beaches (Illinois State or Lake Bluff), plus Grayslake itself is not bad with a town lake (Jones Island) and plenty of other things to do.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
One think I have never understood about Lake County is the taxes. They are just off the wall! They are worse than Cook County. In the nice part of Zion for example the rural part where all the new homes are Taxes are over 5 Grand a year for homes that are worth less 150K. These homes have all been built over the last 20 to 25 years. My Cousin lives on the West End of Zion near 173 & 131 and his home is less than 10 years old and he is paying almost 6 Grand a year in taxes for a home that is worth less than 150K. Homes may be cheaper in so parts of Lake County but Taxes are much worse.
Probably a good thing or there would be far more people escaping C(r)ook Co and then Lake would have far worse traffic problems. probably so bad that even the Long Grove/Hawthorn Woods NIMBYS wouldn't be able to stop the Rte 53 extension!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Here's how their thought process works: I, or someone I know, was the victim of a crime. Therefore, crime is going up.

Using that logic, the City of Chicago must be one of the safest places in the world, since I lived there for over a decade and had very little trouble with crime.

It's important to not get caught up in anecdotal evidence when talking about crime levels. Most people are eventually a victim of some sort of crime in their lifetime.
Just saw this, I absolutely agree.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Cook County has a much lower assessment rate for residential than commercial property. There is no discount for older homes as there is in some States. In some districts they also built new schools which adds to that. Cook County has built just about all the schools it needs, renovations are their only capital need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs