Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 AM

321 posts, read 1,213,735 times

Advertisements

Hi! I searched the forum and didn't see another thread regarding this, so I hope this isn't a repeat. I apologize, if it is.

My son is in boot camp at GL. His PIR (graduation) is in October, and we're coming up from Eastern Kansas. Not knowing anything at all about the greater Chicago area, could I get information on which areas to avoid and which ones are safe, family friendly locations, for the short amount of time we'll be there?

Last edited by quesera; 09-09-2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: added content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Please respond... we need to book our hotel soon, and we don't want to do it as uninformed consumers.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,787 times
Are you looking to stay in a hotel in the city or up by GL in the suburbs? Also, how long are you going to be in town and what types of activities are you planning?

Some of the silence is no doubt people confused about where in "Chicagoland" you're asking about.

That said, a VERY GENERAL rule of thumb is the further south you go in the City of Chicago, the less safe. I'm going to catch all kinds of flack for saying it, but it's a guideline. Hotels in the north end of downtown will be in the "safer" section (and more expensive). Once you get south of Congress, the safe/family friendly is less assured.

There are pockets of good and bad everywhere. Some would say the West side is no great shakes, either.

Lastly an explanation: Chicago is laid out in a N/S/E/W grid. (It looks like graph paper from the sky.) Eight blocks equals one mile. Every eighth block is a "major" street. For east-west streets, zero is Madison. For north-south streets, zero is State. Most Chicagoans will laugh at anyone who says they are on the "East Side" of Chicago. That's the Lake.

If you really want to get specific answers, throw out the addresses of a few hotels you're considering and let people chime in.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
OK OK I know what the OP poster is asking about. On holidays and weekends Gurnee is over run by sailors. These music thumping vans with loud music go back and forth between Gurnee Mills, chain restaurants and the Six Flags/Golden Corral/Key lime cove area transporting the sailors back and forth to the base. I am proud and grateful of our strong military, but sometimes Gurnee takes a hit by Sailors gone wild. A few months ago we even had two sailors from Great Lakes hijack a cab, kidnap the driver (who escaped) and the two sailors set the cab on fire to cover their tracks.

This being said, to the OP, you don't want to stay in a hotel near the base in North Chicago (too dangerous). Many navy famillies visiting stay in Gurnee (Hampton, Country Inn, etc. etc.) and like I said above---their are plenty of attractions here that will satisfy you and your family. Try not to drive tentatively around town so you won't cause an accident (Just kidding but it does happen)....

Old 09-09-2008, 06:33 PM

We're going to try to stay as close to the base as possible, for convenience. We're thinking about Waukegan. Should we change our location, and opt to drive further, for safety's sake? We're coming from Topeka, and are completely unfamiliar with Chicago. Any input would be much appreciated!

Also, it's good to know the city is layed out grid style. That helps!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,787 times
I'd avoid Waukegan entirely. The unfamiliar with the area/nervous about safety is a bad combination with Waukegan. Won't comment further on that.

The poster who mentioned Gurnee had a good idea. It's got LOTS of family style attractions without the hazards of dangerous pocket neighborhoods. Depending on the age of any kids travelling with you and your budget, you might want to check out Key Lime Cove. It's a hotel with an indoor water park attached. If you're there midweek, you'll probably get a break on the rates.

Also, for sheer convenience, take a look at Libertyville and the area surrounding it. It doesn't have as many activities as Gurnee, but it's directly west of the base and has a mall, restaurants and the other usual suburban suspects.

Not sure which area is cheaper.

Good luck to you and your son! OOO-RAH!

Last edited by cohdane; 09-09-2008 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Mistake

Old 09-09-2008, 06:50 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,903 times
Most of South Side is rough (especially for a non-native) the base isn't near here anyway. West Side is also patchy, but once again you have no reason to venture into this area. North Side, is generally safe with a few exceptions.

Are you driving or flying?
If flying keep in mind that there are 2 major airports that serve the city, along with Milwaukee. If you are driving make sure to check traffic, so you don't have to exit into an area unfamiliar to you.

Where to stay?
As someone else reccomended the Gurnee, area has many hotels/motels available for use.

Consider these:
Hotel - Gurnee-Chicago, Illinois - IL - Hampton Inn Hotels
Gurnee IL hotels, Comfort Inn hotel near Gurnee Mills, Gurnee Illinois 60031
QUALITY INN WAUKEGAN ILLINOIS HOTEL Waukegan Hotels Waukegan Illinois

They seem to be in your general area, hope any of this helps.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesera View Post
We're going to try to stay as close to the base as possible, for convenience. We're thinking about Waukegan. Should we change our location, and opt to drive further, for safety's sake? We're coming from Topeka, and are completely unfamiliar with Chicago. Any input would be much appreciated!

Also, it's good to know the city is layed out grid style. That helps!
Gurnee is close. 15 minutes to the base. The fountain square area of Waukegan is a good area of waukegan and there is a court yard and a new marriott residence inn. This area is 10 minutes from the base. The only terrible area is the town of north chicago which includes the base.

The grid area of Chicago is irrelevant as it sounds like your just coming to the base and staying in the immediate area. The base and surrounding area is 40 miles north of downtown Chicago, don't get all caught up in the references on this thread about navigating Chicago. You don't have to go into the city unless you specifically want too.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM

Okay, my husband booked a room, while he was at work, at the Super 8 in Mundelein/Libertyville. He can change his reservation, without a problem.

I don't mean to sound like a complete wuss, but being in an unfamiliar area just makes me nervous.

Last edited by quesera; 09-09-2008 at 08:13 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesera View Post
Okay, my husband booked a room, while he was at work, at the Super 8 in Mundelein/Libertyville. He can change his reservation, without a problem.

I don't mean to sound like a complete wuss, but being in an unfamiliar area just makes me nervous.
You should be fine in that area, and assuming your driving, you will most likley avoid rough spots in and around chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs