Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,480 times

Advertisements

My husband & I will be moving to IL for a job in Naperville. We are empty nesters in mid 50's with grown children in mid 20's. We are happy to be leaving a 5000 SF, 5 bedroom home very close to downtown Atlanta. Everything I read about Naperville boasts about the family friendly city with young families and very large homes. We are very interested in living in a walkable / bike friendly area with nearby shops and dining and train access to the city but do not want a huge home with a large lawn to care for. We understand living in Chicago is not a smart commuting option: One son moved to Lincoln Park and says the traffic is horrendous, particularly in snow.

Are there areas in Naperville to look at or are there communities east of Naperville (closer to Chicago) that we should look at? I appreciate any information you can provide so that I can hit the ground running with a real estate agent next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,944,003 times
Naperville is a wonderful place and has a vibrant downtown area. I recommend looking for smaller houses in the older section of town that are near shops and train access. The horrendous traffic will not exist around Naperville. There will be a rush hour of course but most of the horrendous traffic is encountered by those that get on a highway or expressway and try to go into the city. If you are not doing that you should be fine. If you have a job in Naperville, there is no reason to look anywhere else. Its the best of the lot. Don't be sucked in by anyone telling you to look at Oak Park, its too far away and there's no reason to look there.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
There is a wide range of housing available in Naperville. Some of the more charming homes that are more compact are closer to the downtown core / near North Central College. These would likely to ideal for your situation. There is no shortage of folks in the same situation as the OP -- empty nesters that no longer need / want a huge home. Of course the demand for these homes means that they are not particualrly inexpensive and may be wise to cross shop other towns such as Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, Lombard, Villa Park, Elmhurst, Westmont, Clarendon Hills... These all offer good access efficient Metra rail service to Chicago, nice mix of local shopping / dining options and a very pleasant commute to work in Naperville.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
OP, if you are in need of a realtor I'd be more then happy to help. Let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs