Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times

Advertisements

I think I asked a simlar question a few weeks back but finally bought a little sailboat, just 11'. I saw there's a small lake on the border of Naperville/Bolingbrook off Royce Road but only allow rowboats so I could row my boat jst not sail. I've read of Waubonsie Lake and Jericho Lake in Aurora but seem pretty small. Had Busse lake in Schaumburg suggested as well as another in Dekalb. I aso heard there's a small lake in a forest preserve in Wheaton. Looking for some smaller lakes in the west burbs Naperville, Aurora, Lisle, area or a bit further that have lakes that allow sailboats. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 PM

4 posts, read 7,188 times
I grew up in Crystal Lake and there were always small sailboat on the lake. Additionally, in the last 10 years or so they have filled in a huge gravel pit to create 2 new lakes and the park district has taken them over as additional recreational lakes. I believe one or both of those also allow sailing.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 PM

217 posts, read 581,334 times
Hey, just wanna know what kind of sailboat you bought? I have been sailing for a long time and the one thing about forrest preserve lakes or any smaller lake that is surrounded by trees is that you get a large wind shadow so when you do go out try to go when there is a good breeze. Do you know how to sail or right a boat useing the daggerboard?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:57 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
Hey, just wanna know what kind of sailboat you bought? I have been sailing for a long time and the one thing about forrest preserve lakes or any smaller lake that is surrounded by trees is that you get a large wind shadow so when you do go out try to go when there is a good breeze. Do you know how to sail or right a boat useing the daggerboard?
I bought a homemade Arch Davis Sand Dollar design. Guy I bought it from actually built it. It's a really cool boat all wood, very nice wood detailing and stains on the interior, it has a sprit sail for the sail. Small boat just 11'. You bring up a good point about forest preserve lakes being surrounded by trees. I still wouldn't mind getting out on one my first time or two as I imagine its less crowded and maybe less wind wouldn't be bad for my first time out.

There's a website that lists all the forest preserve lakes but all the data doesn't seem to be 100% accurate as far as which allows boats and more specifically sailboats. There's an old quary filled in, pretty small but in Bolingbrook/Napervile border by royce road. I guess they dont allow sailboats though so I could take it out rowing but not sailing. I had people recommend busse lake near schaumburg or shabonna lake in deklab. The guy I bought it from mentioned when he first finished it he took it to a small lake in a forest preserve in wheaton black something. I also see there's a waubonsie lkae which in aurora which i think is more a pond and jericho lake in aurora which I havnt seen but I think may be a little bigger.

I'm not opposed to going to crystal lake or even driving to mihcigan or wisconsin on a weekend but would love to find someplace local where i could get out more, dont necessarily have to make a whole day of it but take the boat out for just a few hours or even just after work.

I'd love to get into sailing some bigger boats. My family recently moved down to charleston sc so may wind up down there in the next year or two so figured would be fun to learn to sail and maybe if i wind up down there getting a bigger boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs