Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 AM

12 posts, read 32,145 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to the Chicago area form Scarsdale, NY. My son is a seventh grader and has an IEP in place for ADD. He is in regular classes with a small group he attends in place of foreign languages. The schools in Scarsdale have been excellent in giving him the help he needs. Not only was it easy to establish the IEP, but they are very hands on in making sure it is implemented and keep us informed.

Is there anyone in the New Trier district that can give me some information as to New Trier's willingness to assist students who need extra help? My concern is that the school may be too big and he may not get the attention he needs.

Also, which middle schools that feed into New Trier would be the best for those in my son's situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
Although NT is among the region's larger high schools they are also among the most committed to seeing that all students get appropriate levels of educational support. For entering freshman there is separate campus that most folks agree is an excellent transition for the various feeder schools to help adjust to a bigger environment.

Middle schools are trickier.

Assuming your son would be entering 8th grade the majority of kids will have well established social circle. Depending on what specific needs necessitate an IEP it would be wise to plan some time to meet with the special ed staff at the various schools and try to get a sense for "best fit". Fortunately most towns do have some inventory but a lot of the well priced units in good condition get snapped up very quickly. If you are in a position to make a non-contingent offer that is a big factor. Rentals are in very short supply...

Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 AM

34 posts, read 55,163 times
Not to pick on your post, but he must have something else besides ADD because he would not qualify for an IEP with JUST ADD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs