Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
..when it comes to raising a family the career aspirations of many of the children there are interesting. It is one of those communities where it seems the kids all are going to be doctors, lawyers, wall street power brokers, veterinarians, and a small handful aspire to be CPAs. So I tend to think the attitude carries weight.

As for schools, I have yet to see any school in IL that impressed me that was not privatively run. I think if education matters to you the last place you would seek it is in a public school in IL. Even if the academic performance is acceptable you have to deal with the social-liberal agenda. A while back I visited district 204 and was appalled at what passes for education. But then they are your kids I could not care less about what happens to them. I can always hire immigrants who were properly educated. Russia seems to do an exceptional job producing students that are well rounded in math, science, and the arts.
This is the quite possibly the weirdest post I've ever seen by someone allegedly recommending a place to live in the Chicago Suburbs!

I hesitate to even try to unravel this logic but...

So all the kids in Bartlett (?!?) have aspirations to be "doctors, lawyers, wall street power brokers , veterinarians and a small handful aspire to be CPA's" -- not a single firemen, ballerina, or dolphin trainer among 'em , eh?

But when I comes to schools no school "that impressed me was not privately run impressed me." -- I take it there is special pocket of well run private schools in Barlett??

And then this master piece: "...your kids I could not care less about what happens to them. I can always hire immigrants who were properly educated. Russia seems to do an exceptional job producing students that are well rounded...".

So is Bartlett is hotspot of kids from Russia that go to private schools?

So many mysteries ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balkh1994 View Post
I am Asian and you can go ahead call me a "white washed" "racist" or what ever name you want it doesn't bother me. I personally believe that it would be best for my family if we would live in a predominantly White neighborhood as opposed to a Black neighborhood. I'll give you a few reasons why. 1. I believe Whites are more socially conservative, they believe in family values. 2. Education is the most important thing in our family and I believe that my younger siblings will receive a higher quality of education at a predominantly White school. 3. Lower crime rates, No gangs, no drugs and other negativity that could potentially harm members of my family.

Those are the main reasons why. I do not believe that any race is superior to others. I do not "want" to be white as some of you might think, i am happy to be Asian but I just believe that Whites are more similar to me than Blacks are. That's my personal belief.

So, what neighborhoods/suburbs in Chicago area would you recommend for me, thank you.
I can see your reasoning, but you need to also remember that being a minority yourself (yes, even though most Asians are seen as "model minorities"), you may run into issues in predominantly white areas as well.

With that being said, your best bet is to stick to the north, northwest, or west suburbs as they have the fewest Blacks in general and it is not really much of a destination for Black families. Black families often tend to stick to the South Suburbs and believe it or not, most do share the same values you have and also look for predominantly black areas so they do not have to deal with issues that arise from being in a predominantly white area - aka, people like you assuming that they would cause issues when they may want the same things and strive for the same goals as your family. I would also avoid the southwest suburbs or northwest indiana because while they are predominantly white areas (filled with people that moved out 10-15 miles every generation to escape Blacks), those are the top areas that Blacks tend to look at next to the south suburbs.

Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Lake Forest, Western Springs, and many other north and west (but especially north) suburbs are predominantly white. There are many exceptions in the west 'burbs though, like Cicero, Berwyn, Maywood, Bellwood, Broadview, and some others, but most are predominantly white. If non-predominant white suburbs is what you are against, then I would generally not recommend looking in any south suburbs. If those haven't become largely black now, they will in the future.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:34 AM

366 posts, read 493,672 times
Chet wrote:

So all the kids in Bartlett (?!?) have aspirations to be "doctors, lawyers, wall street power brokers , veterinarians and a small handful aspire to be CPA's" -- not a single firemen, ballerina, or dolphin trainer among 'em , eh?

I actually wrote:

“many of the children”…
“where it seems the kids all are going to be doctors”…

Note the word all is not in there, nor is it implied.

Chet quips:

I take it there is special pocket of well run private schools in Barlett??

My comment:

I was not being clear. In all the states I have been in (42 I think) I have never seen a public school system I was impressed by. And no, I am not claiming I have seen every school, I just have made it a point to visit the local schools in every community I could when traveling. Just as I attend city council meetings, attend local political events, and visit local libraries and museums for special collections in every community I visit, time permitting.

Chet writes:

So is Bartlett is hotspot of kids from Russia that go to private schools?

My comment:

Nope. The comment was general in nature.
Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 AM

376 posts, read 489,424 times
Quote:
As for schools, I have yet to see any school in IL that impressed me that was not privatively run. I think if education matters to you the last place you would seek it is in a public school in IL. Even if the academic performance is acceptable you have to deal with the social-liberal agenda. A while back I visited district 204 and was appalled at what passes for education.

What specifically did you object to with 204's curriculum / practice? This is a serious question, as I have kids who will be in 203, and am wary of the values that the public schools may attempt to inculcate.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
I suggested it because of the blend of whites and Asians. Also when it comes to raising a family the career aspirations of many of the children there are interesting. It is one of those communities where it seems the kids all are going to be doctors, lawyers, wall street power brokers, veterinarians, and a small handful aspire to be CPAs. So I tend to think the attitude carries weight.

As for schools, I have yet to see any school in IL that impressed me that was not privatively run. I think if education matters to you the last place you would seek it is in a public school in IL. Even if the academic performance is acceptable you have to deal with the social-liberal agenda. A while back I visited district 204 and was appalled at what passes for education. But then they are your kids I could not care less about what happens to them. I can always hire immigrants who were properly educated. Russia seems to do an exceptional job producing students that are well rounded in math, science, and the arts.
Bartlett is a nice area, but no one with credibility is saying, "I'm moving to Bartlett becasue it has the best schools in the area!" And as far as mix of whites and Asians go, you will find it at Stevenson!! And you are criticizing D204 and then say Bartlett (U-46) is better?!? Riiiiight
Oh, and by the way, Stevenson has a lot of Russian-American kids, Jewish kids, Asian Kids; kids whose parents are willing to pay the sky-high property taxes because a top notch college prep education is their top priority.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Because of the school system in the Lake county portion of Buffalo Grove, particularly due to Stevenson H.S., and the value placed on education among the Asian culture, BG attracts a larger population of Asians than many of the other suburbs. I'm going to be selling my home next year and have been watching the sales since last year and see many of the people moving in have Asian last names.

These demographic numbers for BG are from 2010, and I'm sure the Asian percentage is higher at this point:

White33,15779.8 Black or African American4161.0 American Indian and Alaska Native670.2 American Indian, specified [1]260.1 Alaska Native, specified [1]00.0 Both American Indian and Alaska Native, specified [1]00.0 American Indian or Alaska Native, not specified410.1 Asian6,65116.0 Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander180.0 Some Other Race5761.4 Two or More Races6481.6 Two races with Some Other Race1690.4 Two races without Some Other Race4391.1 Three or more races with Some Other Race70.0 Three or more races without Some Other Race330.1 HISPANIC OR LATINO Total population41,533100.0 Hispanic or Latino (of any race)2,0304.9 Mexican1,3493.2 Puerto Rican1420.3 Cuban750.2 Other Hispanic or Latino [2]4641.1 Not Hispanic or Latino39,50395.1

What a mess! That didn't translate well, so let me provide you with a link:

http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...EC_10_SF1_QTP3

Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Bartlett is a nice area, but no one with credibility is saying, "I'm moving to Bartlett becasue it has the best schools in the area!" And as far as mix of whites and Asians go, you will find it at Stevenson!! And you are criticizing D204 and then say Bartlett (U-46) is better?!? Riiiiight
Oh, and by the way, Stevenson has a lot of Russian-American kids, Jewish kids, Asian Kids; kids whose parents are willing to pay the sky-high property taxes because a top notch college prep education is their top priority.

Missed your post because I started my post and then let the window sit open for twenty minutes, but what you wrote is spot on!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM

36 posts, read 75,642 times
I think this poster is just a troll. He wants a nice area with good schools and low crime. That is all he has to say. I mean if white is his only criteria would canaryville work?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 PM

9 posts, read 14,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
While I can only speak of Bartlett, not knowing much of 204, bartlett high is actually doing pretty good, after u-46 actually got themselves out of a $50 million deficit due to new schools in the 2000s, and bartlett park district bought villa olivia a few years ago and now has a fantastic park district

Several elementary schools such as Bartlett, Centennial, Prairie View
and Wayne were named to the Illinois Honor Roll Schools list during the 2012-13 school
year for academic excellence. Bartlett High School was named to
Newsweek magazine’s list of America’s best high schools for 2013, and about the Science and
Engineering academy at Bartlett High School, two students
designed a liquid medicine bottle during their junior year as academy students and have
been contacted by Blue Cross/Blue Shield about their product and the potential of a
patent for their work.

Seems impressive to me????

Inconvenient for employment? It's right next to the golden corridor and not too far from the technology corridor or o'hare....???

And their police night out is promising: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/712179753/

Last edited by johndoe780; 07-23-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs