Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 14,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I work with dozens (really even more than that...) of folks that went to the engineering schools in India. They are first ones to tell me that they had terrible teachers and if it weren't for parents that literally would remind them everyday that in country with 1.25 BILLION people with average income of under $2000 the odds of living a better life somewhere else where much better than sticking around. There are lots of coinsultanrs that gladly put up with ridiculous conditions to stay in the US!

More broadly there is a whole lot about the best US colleges that is rarely imititsted in other countries. I will list that later..
Lol, there's a strong presence of first generation immigrants who come from very poor countries within Chicago, south states like Texas, arizonia, etc (whether legal or illegal cough cough) How come they don't have the same notion of higher education, but rather corrupt morals like gang banging, drugs, guns etc. etc.

I mean, why is it usually the Indian, chinese, and african first generation immigrants that have a strong belief of higher education compared to the other immigrants we tend to get

I agree with everyone else here, big difference of hatred of trashy people and being racist. I don't think there's anything wrong with a dislike of trashy people. But then again, I have a belief that whatever you do in your own house is your problem, so long as it doesn't negatively influence the community (i.e. don't take care of your house, weed filled, dead grass, bad neighbor, have a dozen kids and overburden the school district etc. etc.) But hey, you shoot up coke in your living room for kicks, I have no problem against that.

with that said, i have no problem with first generation immigrants who have a strong preference for higher education, are well-mannered, and are very job/career oriented. I can say the opposite about first generation immigrants who end up being gang bangers and don't follow our laws (i.e. being illegal)

Last edited by johndoe780; 08-04-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe780 View Post
with that said, i have no problem with first generation immigrants who have a strong preference for higher education, are well-mannered, and are very job/career oriented. I can say the opposite about first generation immigrants who end up being gang bangers and don't follow our laws (i.e. being illegal)
I saw a statistic recently that recent immigrants from Africa go to college and graduate at statistically higher levels than whites, Asians, and most immigrant groups. So clearly the issues facing urban America are not purely RACE, but other socio-economic and cultural factors that are deep-rooted in our country's history (or in the origin countries of immigrants). But when we reduce people to race alone, we fail to recognize each individual on his or her own merits.

I don't care what race my neighbors are, as long as they are nice people who take care of their property and act in a neighborly fashion. Honestly, anyone moving on to my block has already achieved a certain degree of economic success, so it's unlikely that we will have gang-bangers or trouble makers. We did recently have a high school kid get caught breaking in to cars, but he was white and had a drug problem. Those issues cut across race and economics.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 14,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I saw a statistic recently that recent immigrants from Africa go to college and graduate at statistically higher levels than whites, Asians, and most immigrant groups. So clearly the issues facing urban America are not purely RACE, but other socio-economic and cultural factors that are deep-rooted in our country's history (or in the origin countries of immigrants). But when we reduce people to race alone, we fail to recognize each individual on his or her own merits.

I don't care what race my neighbors are, as long as they are nice people who take care of their property and act in a neighborly fashion. Honestly, anyone moving on to my block has already achieved a certain degree of economic success, so it's unlikely that we will have gang-bangers or trouble makers. We did recently have a high school kid get caught breaking in to cars, but he was white and had a drug problem. Those issues cut across race and economics.
Using the race card is one of the dumbest things anyone can do. It's 2014 already, regardless of your political affiliation, look at our president. Obama just finished paying off his student loans a few years ago, and is undoubtedly good at public speaking.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Default you can't have it all

The OP has never replied since his post. may I suggest moving to Kenilworth or Winnetka or maybe Glencoe, but keep in mind all schools have kids that do drugs, get into fights, swear, bully other kids.

All 3 of those cities kids go to New Trier High School. I am sure many of their parents are liberal or conservative. some maybe fighting addiction to alcohol or pain pills. going through a divorce. So, no matter where you live, your kids will be influenced by the others around them.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Everybody has their own axe to grind Robert Reich: The Ivy Leagues are a ludicrous waste of resources - Salon.com

Old 08-05-2014, 03:12 PM

166 posts, read 357,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Honestly, anyone moving on to my block has already achieved a certain degree of economic success, so it's unlikely that we will have gang-bangers or trouble makers.
Unless your new neigbhor is Chief Keef. LOL

Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
Just out of curiosity, would it be considered racist to say that 'I don't want to live around ghetto blacks, but living neat professional blacks would be just fine'?

Man, I really went on a rant that day. haha. but I get sick of people accusing others of being a racist or whatever label you want to insert on that person.. I should be up to me to determine what I want or not want,, there are 100 factors in deciding on where to live. If another person wants to jump to accusations, that is their problem that they are stuck in their little rut. and frankly the person throwing stones at me is a hypocrite because they see my decision as being racist, when it is far from it.

many things go into deciding on where to live. I might not like the kind of restaurants near by. It might not be easy to get to and from home to work commuting. I might not like the people hanging out looking shady - for example, Broadway and Wilson compared to Belmont & lake Shore Drive - if I had to pick it would be Belmont & LSD. Broaday and Wilson is not the greatest safest area. so someone if they want to call me a racist for not wanting to live in Uptown, that's their problem. So Im going to submit myself vulnerably in a bad area just to make some kind of point? Yeah right. I will look for Lookout Kid to come rescue me from when I get robbed.

So in my old age, I prefer to live where I feel I can relax. If Lookout Kid wants to pay my rent, then he can decide where I will live. until then, he can think all he wants, it wont change my mind.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 PM

366 posts, read 493,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Man, I really went on a rant that day. haha. but I get sick of people accusing others of being a racist or whatever label you want to insert on that person.. I should be up to me to determine what I want or not want,, there are 100 factors in deciding on where to live. If another person wants to jump to accusations, that is their problem that they are stuck in their little rut. and frankly the person throwing stones at me is a hypocrite because they see my decision as being racist, when it is far from it.

many things go into deciding on where to live. I might not like the kind of restaurants near by. It might not be easy to get to and from home to work commuting. I might not like the people hanging out looking shady - for example, Broadway and Wilson compared to Belmont & lake Shore Drive - if I had to pick it would be Belmont & LSD. Broaday and Wilson is not the greatest safest area. so someone if they want to call me a racist for not wanting to live in Uptown, that's their problem. So Im going to submit myself vulnerably in a bad area just to make some kind of point? Yeah right. I will look for Lookout Kid to come rescue me from when I get robbed.

So in my old age, I prefer to live where I feel I can relax. If Lookout Kid wants to pay my rent, then he can decide where I will live. until then, he can think all he wants, it wont change my mind.
Well I have a MA in anthropology(cultural); all anthropologists are vehement racist. We find a few artifacts, come up with a theory and ascribe those theories to an entire group of people without regard for the individual.

In the end there is nothing wrong with being a racist. What is wrong is acting on racist beliefs in a way that physically harms another individual. If you want to live around purple-polka-dotted zebras and can find other purple-polka-dotted zebras who want to live around you then so be it. If you don't want to socialize with those weird black and white zebras or the gazelles, then that is your business.

Personally I don't care about what color a person's skin is as long as they are conservative. I despise all liberals without regard to the race or color. I am an equal opportunity hater.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Well I have a MA in anthropology(cultural); all anthropologists are vehement racist. We find a few artifacts, come up with a theory and ascribe those theories to an entire group of people without regard for the individual.

In the end there is nothing wrong with being a racist. What is wrong is acting on racist beliefs in a way that physically harms another individual. If you want to live around purple-polka-dotted zebras and can find other purple-polka-dotted zebras who want to live around you then so be it. If you don't want to socialize with those weird black and white zebras or the gazelles, then that is your business.

Personally I don't care about what color a person's skin is as long as they are conservative. I despise all liberals without regard to the race or color. I am an equal opportunity hater.
I usually live in buildings with a wide variety of kinds of people groups. Never had a problem, its when people start behaving low class and trashy that makes that person the kind of neighbor no one likes - like what you read in the Renters forum here for example. I try to choose buildings with professional types and that seems to work out best. I lived with seniors too, that was a good building. The place I'm in is wonderful, all kinds of people, everyone is cool.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Question:

Why is it if someone wants to live in a predominantly white area, they're branded racist and a troll yet if someone wanted to live in a area that is not predominantly white then it's okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs