Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 350,434 times

Advertisements

We are looking in the suburbs of Yorkville and Aurora - are these good places to live with a family? How about the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 08:27 AM

102 posts, read 163,567 times
I would say stay with Aurora but only these portions of Aurora: DuPage with Naperville Schools and/or Batavia Schools, Will County with Oswego Schools. Go to Aurora on the DuPage or Will County side.

Stay away from the Kane County Side--the schools are terrible and because people refuse to approve any referendums for the betterment of the school districts.

The school district in Yorkville according to my research, is not that great.

I hope this helps. I live in the Dupage portion of Aurora, where my kids are in the Naperville school district.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:29 AM

102 posts, read 163,567 times
The portion I live in is close to the Park District and Library and my portion is very family friendly. Also, you are close enough to stroll to Naperville and go to the River Walk.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:28 PM
ejh

5 posts, read 14,831 times
Default What is 'good neighborhood'?

I would say that you need to define what 'good neighborhood' means to you. Who is to say that one is better than the other? People live all over the world, in all sorts of places. What is most important to you? The lack of crime, poverty, or child molesters? They live in all neighborhoods too. Now if you mean housing values or the number of apartments vs single family homes, this website can provide that information.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:01 PM

64 posts, read 710,185 times
Anyone here ever eat at Portillo's? Best dog I have ever had!!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 04:31 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Southwestern suburbs have that prairie feel to them. The northwestern suburbs are like living in Wisconsin, with hills and trees.

Chicagoland does have some variety, I will give it that.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 15,787 times
Default Yorkville

I have lived in Yorkville for the past 11 years and it is far safer than most of Aurora, where my husband grew up and lived for 20 years. There are a few safer places in Aurora, such as North Aurora and West Aurora. The school system in Yorkville has improved quite a bit.

In addition to that, there are several great businesses here. We have an AWESOME coffee shop just downtown. The coffee is incredible and the muffins and chocolates they have are delicious!!!

Hope I helped.

Jolie

Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrik2714 View Post
Stay away from the Kane County Side--the schools are terrible and because people refuse to approve any referendums for the betterment of the school districts.
I'd say maybe you have the cause-and-effect backwards. In the Aurora East district in particular, people refuse to approve referendums because the schools are terrible and the district has very little to show for any of the previous tax hikes they begged for and the ample funding they already receive, which is as much or more per pupil as Geneva, Batavia and St. Charles school districts.

Meanwhile, Aurora West spends considerably less but still manages to get better results than East, and they've actually made an effort to cut bureaucratic costs before asking the taxpayers for more money. What a novel concept -- maybe the taxpayers will be more willing to open up their wallets next time.

In either case, while we might quibble about the premise, the conclusion is the same: stay away from the Aurora school districts 129 and especially 131.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 AM

8 posts, read 26,882 times
If you choose Aurora you want to avoid the East Aurora School District. The Naperville/Aurora 204 district is fine, the Oswego district is fine and the West Aurora district is ok. I don't know much about Yorkville. I used to live in Aurora near Eola Road (204 school district).

Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Two children educated in Oswego schools. Living in a house built by Oswego HS Building Trades class. Stop by and check it out.
fsbo home in Oswego IL @ For Sale By Owner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs