Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

I've actually been to Hinckley, as I have relatives who once farmed in the general area generations ago... Here are my impressions today:

1. There are still some really nice, well-kept historic houses in town. In most small rural communities, the historic houses are in terrible shape. There's a general sense in small towns that you only stay in the center of town until you can afford a newer house on the periphery (like the newer houses in northern Hinckley), and people tend to let historic houses go. Of course this is reversed in Chicago suburbs with Metra service, where people once again want to be near walkable downtowns and Metra rail stations. It's kind of ironic... People in fast-paced Chicago suburbs are searching for this idealized "Mayberry" small-town experience, but people in rural America are mostly not interested in it any more. So in suburbs like Glen Ellyn, we are creating this "boutique small town experience" that is sort of a Disneyland version of something that doesn't exist any more in rural America.

2. There is very little employment in the general Hinckley vicinity. But the Fox Valley has jobs, and that might be a manageable commute if you worked in Aurora or Batavia.

3. Downtown Hinckley is pretty much dead. You almost feel like you could see tumbleweeds blowing down the street. Many of the nice old commercial buildings have bricked up facades or bad 20th century facade renovations with corrugated metal. BUT there are some attempts to keep it going apart from the "towny bars" and dentists offices--which makes me realize there must be some of that Chicagoland money starting to filter in for people willing to commute east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:08 PM

936 posts, read 2,201,963 times
Hinckley represents a classic case of gentrification. Fortunately, the increase in housing values due to the new construction has helped raised the values of the housing in the older downtown section. That has allowed those homeowners to invest money in their houses without having to worry about pricing themselves out of the market.

Nonetheless, there are residents who simply can't afford to remodel those older houses, but the potential to do so exists, and that's a good thing. You can contrast that situation to a place like Aurora where housing values in the downtown are so depressed that it doesn't make financial sense to put any additional money into houses. Hence, the terrible state of housing and values in that community.

My guess is that there aren't too many people in Hinckley who work in Chicago. I've sold lots of houses there over the years and even people who are working in the far west suburbs had a concern over the commute times. Chicago could easily be a two-hour trip on bad days during the winter.

Hinckley is sort of a bedroom community in that it's never really had a vibrant downtown. The residents mostly shop elsewhere, and that's not too difficult considering that most of them work in the more urban areas where they can pick up what they need prior to driving home.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 985 times
Truly, Hinckley is lovely.
I am from Downers, and have lived in suburbs such as Naperville, Darien, Lisle, and even Chicago.
Small town living that is quiet and close knit, with a great variety of activities and small, navigable community activities, and absolutely excellent school districts. I do not judge my children's education on the opportunity to play a sport amongst a giant throng of other competitors. My children are thriving academically and socially in the school district, and I stay home with them.
Shopping is not a key attraction to Hinckley, we just travel our quiet country roads with no stoplights or traffic jams and head to Sandwich, Plano, Yorkville, Sugar Grove, DeKalb… you get the idea.
Ugh. Don't listen to this ridiculous debate. Rt. 30 gets snowed and nearly impassable once a year, maybe twice. Otherwise, it's clear sailing.
Oh yeah, and my husband commutes daily to Darien. We have no problem integrating to the community. We involve ourselves and are welcomed.
Best wishes!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 690 times
How long is the drive from Hinckley to Bensenville would you say?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Too long for any sane daily commute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie1207 View Post
How long is the drive from Hinckley to Bensenville would you say?
It is a minimum of 50 miles. Though maps might make it seem manageable, the traffic volumes along the major roads, including US-30, I-88, and Rt. 83 or any alternatives mean that even "off peak" you will have to deal with stoplights / slowdowns. Figure about an hour and quarter to ninety minutes with dry roads / no collisions blocking lanes. Add at least 40 minutes when there is an active rain / snow event. In the worst conditions, where multiple accidents have restricted lanes and plows have not cleared the roadways figure about THREE TIMES that commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs