Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,173 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I recently accepted an offer to work in the suburb, North Chicago. From reading previous forum threads, it does not sound very appealing to live there. Does anyone have suggestions about where to live? These are my interests/criteria:

- I am a 25 single female and while I don't want to be living across from frat houses, I would still enjoy living in a hip area. Preferably with fun things to do, restaurants, and low-key nightlife places.

- I highly dislike commuting over 45 minutes. A short commute to North Chicago and access to Chicago via the trains is ideal.

- Does an apartment exist within these parameters under $900?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsty1089 View Post
Hello!

I recently accepted an offer to work in the suburb, North Chicago. From reading previous forum threads, it does not sound very appealing to live there. Does anyone have suggestions about where to live? These are my interests/criteria:

- I am a 25 single female and while I don't want to be living across from frat houses, I would still enjoy living in a hip area. Preferably with fun things to do, restaurants, and low-key nightlife places.

- I highly dislike commuting over 45 minutes. A short commute to North Chicago and access to Chicago via the trains is ideal.

- Does an apartment exist within these parameters under $900?

Thanks!
Do you mean the city OF "North Chicago" or do you just mean the northern Chicago area?

Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
she said in her OP "the suburb, North Chicago" pretty clear to me. Sorry OP, I have no idea. I've heard Lincolnshire has a fairly lively downtown, I dunno.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
she said in her OP "the suburb, North Chicago" pretty clear to me. Sorry OP, I have no idea. I've heard Lincolnshire has a fairly lively downtown, I dunno.
Thank you for your lovely contribution to this thread, if only to correct my post.

OP, I've hear Zion, Gurnee, Wintrhop Harbor, and Grayslake are all nice.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
In the opinion of most folks that have standards for good schools / stable housing values towns like Zion and Winthrop Harbor would not be on their list.

Gurnee and Grayslake are more affordable than other towns in Lake Co like Libertyville or Highland Park, but a signficant step down in school quality and housing price stability.

If you don't mind a little longer commute you might find housing prices in place like Nile or Morton Grove compare faviorably and give access to better schools...

Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In the opinion of most folks that have standards for good schools / stable housing values towns like Zion and Winthrop Harbor would not be on their list.

Gurnee and Grayslake are more affordable than other towns in Lake Co like Libertyville or Highland Park, but a signficant step down in school quality and housing price stability.

If you don't mind a little longer commute you might find housing prices in place like Nile or Morton Grove compare faviorably and give access to better schools...
OP is a 25 yr old single female looking to rent. Don't think schools come into play on this one.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:32 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Regardless of the OP's situation in regard to her own lack of need for schools the overwhelming pattern of development in the region shows a strong association between higher performing schools and more desirable neighborhoods. Even inside Chicago itself there are few areas that attract the kinds of residential development associated with stable / increasing property values if the schools are not desirable. From Hyde Park to the traditional near-to-the-lake northside areas to the parts of Chicago favored by city workers along its suburban borders good school and stable property values move in lock-step...

Even when it comes to towns that have developed attractive nightlife there is strong association among those towns that attract folks who value quality schools. The simple fact is that areas that lack people with the kinds of jobs that give them disposable income to spend on dining / nightlife / entertainment will also not have any businesses that would appeal to folks with professional type careers.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:48 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
If it were me, I would probably target something near downtown highland park since it wouldn't be a bad drive to North Chicago and is a nice town with train access to Chicago.

Maybe something like this:
Fabulous Units for YOU! Call TODAY! 730 Judson Ave
2nd Floor, 1 BEDROOM w/ BALCONY & COURTYARD VIEWS! Avail NOVEMBER!!!

If you can increase your budget a little there seem to be many options.

Another area I would consider would be Libertyville. In either case, I would personally want to be near the downtown core and train station, since that is going to be the most walkable and urban-feeling part of the towns.

North Chicago is a tough location for night life. I can tell you what you probably don't want to do is work in North Chicago and commute there from Bucktown the way my friend did. She was always calling me from the expressway where she was stopped/stuck. She has commutes of over 3 hours more than once due to weather issues. Not fun at all.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,345,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
If it were me, I would probably target something near downtown highland park since it wouldn't be a bad drive to North Chicago and is a nice town with train access to Chicago.

Maybe something like this:
Fabulous Units for YOU! Call TODAY! 730 Judson Ave
2nd Floor, 1 BEDROOM w/ BALCONY & COURTYARD VIEWS! Avail NOVEMBER!!!

If you can increase your budget a little there seem to be many options.

Another area I would consider would be Libertyville. In either case, I would personally want to be near the downtown core and train station, since that is going to be the most walkable and urban-feeling part of the towns.

North Chicago is a tough location for night life. I can tell you what you probably don't want to do is work in North Chicago and commute there from Bucktown the way my friend did. She was always calling me from the expressway where she was stopped/stuck. She has commutes of over 3 hours more than once due to weather issues. Not fun at all.
+1 for all of this...

Old 10-24-2014, 10:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
I would also suggest Libertyville, maybe Highland park. And it may be right on the edge of a 45 minute commute, but Arlington Heights is worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs