Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM

25 posts, read 29,566 times

Advertisements

oakparkdude

Thanks a ton for those links and the downtown suggestion. Will surely check them out. Appreciate all your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:34 PM

@ nikitakolata

Thank you for that link. There also seem to be some apartments communities in that vicinity. Need to check those out as well. Is north of or south of Park Avenue a better option in terms of safety and maybe not being too close to a college crowd ?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Had a followup question on Arlington Heights. How is the neighborhood around W Kirchhoff Rd / W Central Rd right behind the north west community hospital. There are some rental condos that fit right in my budget. Is it a safe neighborhood ?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,892 times
Yes it's safe.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilkas View Post
@ nikitakolata

Thank you for that link. There also seem to be some apartments communities in that vicinity. Need to check those out as well. Is north of or south of Park Avenue a better option in terms of safety and maybe not being too close to a college crowd ?
I don't think it matters at all. There is a college in Elmhurst, but I've never noticed any noise or anything from it. It's pretty tame as far as colleges go and I think a lot of the students commute.

Crime in Elmhurst is pretty much non-existant in my experience. I've lived in Elmhurst for 2 years now without an incident. By the 2 year mark living in Chicago we had had our house broken into, our garage broken into, and our cars each broken into once while parked on the street. So, in comparison to that, there's no crime to think about in Elmhurst.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:16 PM

@ 4122 Thanks
@nikitakolata That's good to know. So I guess can widen my search in Elmhurst. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 AM

I will be in the Chicago this weekend. Plan on checking out some rentals in the following locations.

1) Elmhurst: A) Elm creek apartments & town homes. B) couple of rentals on N.York st - Fremont. 3) 136 N.Haven st in downtown Elmhurst.

2) La grange: A) Villa venice condominiums on 8th and 52nd close to east plainfield B) Rental on N.Sawyer st (east side, close to Lincoln - Tilden st)

3) Arlington Heights: Brittany Place and Evergreen condos. Both locations are on South Goebbert Road, not far from Algonquin Road and Yaohan Plaza.

Looking for feedback mostly in terms of safety. Maybe some knowledge of the properties (mostly the condos & apartment complexes).

As always a big thank you to everyone who has posted. Your responses have been invaluable.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 AM

768 posts, read 1,103,190 times
My advice is to do the walk while visiting these towns... Explore both town core and neighborhood just outside town core... You will walk them ALOT in the summer... While in LG grab lunch at either Wild Monk or Nicksons or Prasino...

Rental on N.Sawyer is easy walk to station and core, maybe 10min via Lincoln/Bluff. Your wife will luv that public transportation element, no driving just walking to do commute... its about as far east of LG as you want to go. Definitely a less desirable (only questionable area) of LaGrange and probably the classic "if your ok with the other side of the tracks" case...

Preferably you want to be on the other side of 47th (Villa venice condominiums) but location not bad... you will need to drive to station every day for city/Metra commute. but town core still walkable.

Again If you choose LG, i would advise keeping finger on pulse of the luxury apartments i mentioned... Brand new aimed at your demographic... They will be in town core with an awesome 2 minute walk to Metra. With no kids, I would jump into 317 calendar APTs at 995/month until the luxury ones are ready around the corner. Calendar apts puts you in town core next to metra and in super safe/vibrant area.

Last edited by JJski; 01-29-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 01-29-2015, 03:09 PM

@JJski Thank you for that information. Had no knowledge about 317 calender APT.Will definitely give it a look when I am in Lagrange

Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 AM

768 posts, read 1,103,190 times
Nik, I would also advise (if possible) feeling out the town cores later… try to come back at 8PM and feel its vibe then. We fell in love with Highland Park (daytime, 11AM) in the NS – then when we came back at night 830PM it was a ghost town and this was on a sunny summer Saturday… You will spend alot of time in the cores, especially if walkable...

Last edited by JJski; 01-30-2015 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs