Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:50 PM

19 posts, read 33,078 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I had earlier posted on this forum reg. our upcoming move to Lake County. It is finally taking shape and I am currently trying to make a ranked list of schools. My daughter will be going to Grade 5 in August. Thanks in advance for any inputs.

It is a company relocation from Singapore and we would want to be in a 30 minute commute radius of Waukegan.

Some schools that we are considering are:

South Park Elementary (SD 109)
Walden Elementary (SD 109)

Deer Path Middle School East (SD 67)

Butterfield Elementary (SD 70)
Adler Park School (SD 70)

Lake Bluff Elementary School (SD 65)

Daniel Wright Jr High School (Lincolnshire-Priarieview SD 103)

Kildeer Countryside Elementary School (CCSD 96)

The above list is in no particular order. I understand Kildeer may be a little away from our specified area.

Can anyone give me a bit more insight into these schools, or even how one stacks up against another. We will have a look-see trip in May, but time is going to be very tight and I don't see how effectively we can cover everything. Would be great if anyone can message me as well.

We are also prepared to be a little flexible on the commute, if the school is absolutely top-notch. What we are primarily looking for in the school is great academics (I know, staying true to the Indian stereotype ), good tech integration in learning, access to good after-school activities.

We would have a rental budget of around 4000-4200 dollars. If I have missed any other great schools/ areas that are to be considered, please do let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,086,523 times
How about Oak Grove? Oak Grove is an excellent k-8 school in Green Oaks (unincorporated Libertyville). Oak Grove is also a feeder school of Libertyville HS just like Adler Park and Butterfield.

Since your daughter will be in 5th grade, she will only be going to the same school for one year, then she'll have to go to a different school after just coming to a new school., whereas in Oak Grove, it will be an easier transition for since she'll be settled in the same school for 4 years. I've always been a fan of k-8 schools because studies have shown that students middle school aged in k-8 do better academically overall than middle schools. Also, I'm just not a fan of middle schools in general.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:41 PM

Hi 4122

Thanks for putting that perspective of K-8 vs. K-5! in all the prep, that was not forefront on my mind...One more thing, I just was checking illinoisreportcard.com, and it does not show Oak Grove offering any foreign language. Would you have any idea if that is the case?

I will surely check out Oak Grove, any idea on commute times for my husband?

Tks!

Old 03-02-2015, 09:40 PM

Oak Grove offers Spanish from kindergarten on and French from 6th-8th grade. Green Oaks is only 10-15 minutes away from Waukegan and is very convenient to the expressway.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,861 times
Kildeer District 96 extends all the way to northern Buffalo Grove which would be just within your travel radius. It is very highly rated and feeds into Stevenson HS which itself is consistently rated as one of the best public high schools in Illinois. The junior high is Twin Groves which is in Buffalo Grove at Buffalo Grove Road and Half Day Road. Stevenson is about 2 miles east of there on Half Day Road in Lincolnshire. Daniel Wright feeds into Stevenson as well, but is on the opposite side of the district and closer to Waukegan.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 AM

Unlike most middle schools, Daniel Wright is a 5-8 school, so your daughter won't be the only new student to the school. There's pros and cons to this however. The pro would be that she has more time to adjust to the school and will remain in the school for 4 years just like other students. The con to this though is that your daughter may have a harder time making new friends because nobody will know that she's new to the district so they'll be less likely to branch out and befriend her.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 PM

Great! Something to chew on for a few days...looks like we will be narrowing down on one of these areas. Do schools let parents of prospective students take a tour of the school or not?

One other thing on my mind:

My son, aged 4, is very asthmatic and is severely allergic to dust mites. Hence, we would prefer not to have carpeting in the place we eventually rent. Is that something that is difficult to find?

Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 PM

No. Especially with your budget, there's a wide range of rental homes available.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:34 AM

Tks, 4122!

Anyone know if schools allow parents to go and see them prior to the child getting in?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
No. Especially with your budget, there's a wide range of rental homes available.
Actually, I think it will be very difficult to find a house in this area that has no carpet at all. In other parts of the country, you do see it, but not here. For example, we have a second home in SWFL that is entirely tile. Not unusual down there. Up here, we have a 2 story home that is mostly hardwood floors (and tile in the bathrooms), but there is still carpet in some places. I think it would be very rare to find a house for rent in this area with no carpet at all, regardless of budget.

As for visiting schools, you would have to call and see. Most schools in this area are pretty accommodating, but, of course, due to security concerns will not just let you wander around. All would be happy to sit down and talk to you about their school and programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs