Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 AM

19 posts, read 14,379 times

Advertisements

Howdy everyone! I have been reading a lot of the threads on here and there are a lot of cool people and info on this site...so it has already helped. But I figured I would post my specific situation to get your feedback.

-Will be starting new job at U of Illinois-Chicago in 4-6 weeks (which I believe has two Blue Line train stops, a Metra stop, and one Pink Line stop).

-I will be keeping my car (just bought last year and love it too much to sell).

-Regarding my home, safety is the number one priority. I know crime can and does happen everywhere...but obviously there are better places than others in this regard. I don't want my home or car broken into and I certainly don't want to worry about violent crime where I live.

-I am looking to rent an apartment, condo, etc. Would like to keep rent at $1,500 max.

-I am single male, 45, and don't have any kids so I don't really care about school districts.

-I have a cat...where I go, he goes.

-Would it be too much of a pain to have to switch train lines to get to and from work? Should I only be looking at burbs that are on the Blue Line or Metra line? Or is a daily train switch like that not a big deal?

-Commute wise, it would be nice to keep to 45 mins or under...but if there is a place that is too good to pass up and is more towards an hour, I would consider.

-I already have a lengthy list of suburb candidates that I need to narrow down...but I wanted to get your feedback.

Those are the main details...let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 08:22 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,231,480 times
If you're looking to live near the Blue line, avoid living on the West Side.

I used to live on the SW side, and drove to UIC - commute was about 30-45 minutes. Garfield Ridge, Clearing were decent parts of the city. If driving is not an option for you, try Brighton Park (Orange Line, connect to Blue/Pink to UIC)

Old 06-18-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If you're looking to live near the Blue line, avoid living on the West Side.

I used to live on the SW side, and drove to UIC - commute was about 30-45 minutes. Garfield Ridge, Clearing were decent parts of the city. If driving is not an option for you, try Brighton Park (Orange Line, connect to Blue/Pink to UIC)
The west end of the blue line is Forest Park, Harlem, and Oak Park correct? Have seen some folks say these areas are ok...is that not accurate now or maybe things have gotten worse there?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,186,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisblue View Post
The west end of the blue line is Forest Park, Harlem, and Oak Park correct? Have seen some folks say these areas are ok...is that not accurate now or maybe things have gotten worse there?

Thanks.
If you plan on living in the suburbs, these would meet your requirements more than most other burbs.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:59 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,987 times
stlouisblue --

You may want to consider using an Apartment Broker to assist you in finding an apartment. They can be helpful when you are relocating and are new to the area. They often have some inside information about the market. Just Google and you will find a number of them to choose from.

Congratulations on your new job!

Old 06-20-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
stlouisblue --

You may want to consider using an Apartment Broker to assist you in finding an apartment. They can be helpful when you are relocating and are new to the area. They often have some inside information about the market. Just Google and you will find a number of them to choose from.

Congratulations on your new job!
Thank you Hollyhockgarden!

I might just do that. I have already done a ton of research and looked at many listings. A number of folks have also suggested neighborhoods on the north Blue Line...or I guess it kind of goes northwest. So if anyone has recommendations please advise.

Also flirting with North Center area but am running into $80/month for parking space. Feel like if I am living in the city I would be better off selling the car...but again, that's not an option for me.

Thanks for again for the input!

Old 06-20-2018, 02:25 PM

748 posts, read 834,297 times
You might find something in Wicker Park for that price range, right off of the Blue Line. Street parking, but parking is pretty easy. Logan Square is also an option.

Try CL now for apartments. 4-6 weeks is usually the ideal lead time.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:54 PM

188 posts, read 210,017 times
For clarification, would you like to live in the city or suburbs?

Old 06-24-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
For clarification, would you like to live in the city or suburbs?
Initially was open to either...but quickly found out some of the hassles of having/keeping a car in the city. Some of the apartments want $250 per month for a reserved spot...not interested in that. Also seems to be I can get more square footage in a place for the $ in the city outskirts or suburbs. So I am currently focusing on places near the Blue Line (north-northwest from the city).

Old 06-26-2018, 01:48 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,756 times
Forest Park is an easy commute to UIC and would be easier to have a car there as opposed to the city. Oak Park is nice too, just more expensive.

keep in mind though that the Forest Park blue line isnt as easy to walk to as lots of the Oak Park stops and theres less housing directly near it, so if you want to park/ride, then you'll have to factor in paying for that.

if youre interested in being walking distance to the blue line, then id focus on apartments in Oak Park.

for example, heres a place within walking distance within your budget that has included parking/private deck (unfortunately says they prefer no pets, but you get the idea)

https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...-il-60302#warm

keep in mind the "downtown" part of Oak Park is more served by the Green Line, so youd want to focus your efforts on the southern end near the Eisenhower Expressway.

Last edited by via chicago; 06-26-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs