Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
SBD SBD started this thread

52 posts, read 205,795 times

Advertisements

Of the list of suburbs below that are considered north shore - but with no shoreline, which one(s) would you say are the most appealing? You can rank all of them, just pick one - whatever you like. Also, I'm not looking for anything particular - just whatever you happen to like best - and any personal reasons if you care to share. Thanks

1) Skokie
2) Morton Grove
3) Glenview
4) Northbrook
5) Deerfield
6) Lincolnshire
7) Riverwoods
8) Libertyville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Sorry, in my book lack of being ON Lake Michigan == NOT North Shore!

I would simply refer to these towns as in Lake Co. or to those north eastern Cook Co. -- and your list leaves off a heckuva lot of towns! Bannockburn, Vernon Hills, Buffalo Grove, Long Grove, Kildeer, Golf, Lincolnwood, Niles, Park Ridge all equally as "shoreless" as Libertyville!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

I would simply refer to these towns as in Lake Co. or to those north eastern Cook Co. -- and your list leaves off a heckuva lot of towns! Bannockburn, Vernon Hills, Buffalo Grove, Long Grove, Kildeer, Golf, Lincolnwood, Niles, Park Ridge all equally as "shoreless" as Libertyville!
You seem to be getting defensive over what is really just meant as a fun discussion.
#1) These towns usually are considered part of the 'north shore' but seriously - who cares?? I wasn't trying to debate what is considered technically 'North Shore.'
#2) I left off those other towns because I was not interested in an opinion on those towns. I am well aware there are other north suburban, north shore, shoreless eastern Cook county/Lake county suburbs or whatever you want to refer to them as. Again...as to my original point - I was only looking for opinion on the towns listed - not for a correction on semantics

But hey - thanks for the input

Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I think it matters a whole lot.

For one, whenever some one googles "Chicago Suburbs North Shore" and they get a thread at City-Data talking about towns that are NOT on the shore of Lake Michigan it is not a valid search result.

Additionally the "why one town is more appealing than another" aspect has a great deal to do with with the prices that some one will be willing to pay to purchase a home in one of these towns.

While I understand that your purpose in starting the thread may seem harmless, and is even kinda fun on some level, it also has a aspect of misdirection associated with it that I do not think is helpful.

It would be as though I said "what is the most "DuPage Countyish town in the Fox Valley?" or "which is the most Southside town in McHenry Co?" or "which town is Southern Wisconsin is most like Michigan's Harbor Country?" -- while some interesting discussion MIGHT take place I would think an EVEN BETTER discussion is possible when the TOPIC is more focused. Think: "best schools and transit to Loop from Fox Valley?" or "most White ethnic work class town in McHenry Co" or "best boating-vacation driven town in Southern Wisconsion"...

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 PM

Chet - I get it - the post topic could have said something like 'Which north suburban suburb do you like most and for whatever reason in the world - PURELY FUN!'

But it didn't say that and I can't change the post topic. I suggest we just let it go what the post was called. I'm sure as you mentioned, it is harlmess and that no one will be offended. If you are reading this and live on the true north shore - my apologies. But seriously, this was also in good fun I don't think we needs to argue about what is or is not north shore. You see - any one who can rank these towns already must be very familar with the area and thus is completely aware of where they are geographically. So there is no need to get nit picky about the thread title. Also, as far as specifics on why someone likes a suburb - I did specify that in the title - it does not matter. I simply posted this as an open discussion to see what people say. I did not want to limit it to schools, retail, commercial activity, diversity etc. Its simply an open forum to say whatever you think about the listed towns. I hope that clarifies and we can get on with the discussion. Now Chet - which of the towns do you like and why (any reasons at all) if you would like to share. Thanks

Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD View Post
Chet - I get it - the post topic could have said something like 'Which north suburban suburb do you like most and for whatever reason in the world - PURELY FUN!'...
Well maybe you should ask a mod to change the title or change it yourself?

I think the title you just suggested is WAY more fitting than the one you initially chose.

It is misleading to people that do not know the difference between North Shore burbs and North burbs.

I do not think people need to be mislead on here anymore than some people already have been in these forums because of unscrupulous posters.

I am not saying you are trying to mislead people, but your post is misleading to people that do not know any better.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:37 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

I've heard that the cut off line is being East of Waukegan Road. So Northbrook, Deerfield and maybe Glenview are North Shore.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I've heard that the cut off line is being East of Waukegan Road. So Northbrook, Deerfield and maybe Glenview are North Shore.
Even if some consider them to be I would say 98 out of a hundred do not count
Libertyville to be the "North Shore"

This thread is totally titled incorrectly.

We have already been through debates on what is and what is not the "North Shore."

Here are two examples:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...rth-shore.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...recommend.html

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-15-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM

if you really want to debate the title of the post more - it could be construed this way North Shore without 'The Shore' actually means North suburbs. However, I am amazed that people are so defiant of the north shore. I am well aware people use this board to help research for homes, schools etc. However, by saying these suburbs are without a shoreline in the title, that signifies to anyone contemplating moving to these areas that they are are not actually on the lakefront. So if anyone with half a brain saw the post totle, they would understand that these suburbs on not on the lake. If people who were considering moving to the area saw the post and knew they wanted a lakefront suburb - it would be extremely clear from this title that these suburbs are not for them. Are you people professors or just some of thr most anal peopel around. I mean I feel like I am being dragged right in to this thing - but I have to say please stop beating the dead horse and can't this thread move more toward its original intention. Even another poster said this debate has been carried on too much in other posts. Please let thjis be the end of the post title debate and get back to the original question. Thanks in advance for participating.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,209 times
Since none of those are North Shore, but north suburban, and there really aren't any North Shore suburbs without a "shore", the question cannot be answered, and is just misleading to people who would want an actual North Shore suburb. Sorry. Have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs