Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times

Advertisements

Sorry to say, and no offense, but I find them all less then appealing. Parts of the town of L'ville and some of the 'hoods are ok. But in comparison to the ACTUAL north shore (see above discussion) I would say not so appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,964 times
As a North Shore native and current resident, it is clear to me that the most "North Shore" suburb without a shore is Barrington Hills. Hinsdale is a close second.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
If the "real" North Shore runs from Evanston to Lake Bluff, I'd say the unofficial parts that most people include would mainly be Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, and Deerfield.

Northfield is mostly in New Trier Township which would make it hard to deny it North Shore status. Deerfield's close relationship with Highland Park draws it in, too. And the eastern portions of Northfield Twp (Glenview and Northbrook) come across as a real extension of the North Shore.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 18,232 times
I don't personally get offended by what is or is not called North Shore so here are my notes on these suburbs...curious as to others opinions as well! My opinions are largely based on ease of commuting into city via Metra, sense of community, and shopping/dining nearby. Schools are also important to us but they all have good schools in my opinion.

1) Skokie - no Metra, but nice community, beautiful parks, Old Orchard Mall. Mostly go here for the mall.

2) Morton Grove - MG doesn't have a lot of shopping/dining itself, but has proximity to so much (shopping on Touhy, Old Orchard mall, 94, O'Hare, etc.). Nice town, nice parks, affordable. Close train ride to downtown.

3) Glenview - love some of the Glenview areas. Beautiful suburb. Still close to downtown with 2 Metra stops and more suburban compared to MG. Lots of shopping and dining.

4) Northbrook - cute small downtown area, pretty suburb, not as familiar with it but good location and nice community

5) Deerfield - pretty area, a bit further of a train ride but still reasonable, lots of nice shopping areas and communities.

6) Lincolnshire - not familiar at all
7) Riverwoods - not familiar at all
8) Libertyville - too far for me :-)

Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
Libertyville isn't really the north shore. Casting that village aside, the best bargains to be had are in Skokie, Morton Grove, and Deerfield if you want a own a home. They have the most "affordable" home prices.

Of course there are variations among all of those North Shore villages.

What happened to Wilmette, Winnetka, Glencoe, and Kenilworth? Of those, only Wilmette is "affordable" for the average working bear.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Please disregard the poster above. They are pretending to be me. I wish the moderators would do something about it, but for now I'm trying to repair my reputation on this forum.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
yeah, maybe once.....but so many children of the North Shore are now raising kids in the inland North Shore places like Northfield, Glenview, etc. that it's been expanded.
I see a bit differently. The areas you are talking about have traditionally been considered North Shore. I'd put an area that attends New Trier as being North Shore, so I definitely would include Northfield.

The North Shore has a certain look and feel and that feel definitely "bleeds" into neighboring communities. For example, eastern Glenview feels very North Shore, certainly as far west as Waukegan Road and differs from areas westward like the more modest central Glenview and the world of its own that is The Glen and at the west end of town an area that looks more like parts of NW suburbia.

Eastern Northbook feels "North Shore" while Highland Park blends into Deerfield, taking the North Shore atmosphere with it.

Municipal borders are tricky to deal with when discussing the North Shore. Indeed the western portions of both Wilmette and Highland Park share more with the towns to their west in lack of "northshoreness" than the eastern portions of their own towns

I've said it before:

Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff are the "real" North Shore (you can't be "real" North Shore unless people can gawk at your gigantic, elegant, expensive home as they follow the yellow brick road that is Sheridan Road after entering from Rogers Park and exiting into North Chicago. For the NS, this is the mother road).

Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff are the essence of North Shore

Anything east of the UP/N Metra tracks: elite North Shore

Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, Deerfield, and Riverwoods earn proximity North Shore status. Skokie doesn't, but, then again, western Evanston has none to pass on to it. OK, Skokie gets one piece of NS status: Old Orchard.

I haven't figured out what to do with Highwood. Don't know how to place it, but it is definitely not NS. Any suggestions? a speed bump? North Shore's italian and beer doggie bag and carry out?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
"North Shore" without the shore is just "North". Mr. Mappy summed it up best.

Evanston
Wilmette
Kenilworth
Winnetka
Glencoe
Highland Park
Highwood
Lake Forest

If your town is not on this list, you do not live in the "North Shore". Okay, maybe we can add Lake Bluff too.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Northwest, there is a community that changed its name from Fox River Gardens to Port Barrington in an attempt to be perceived a part of the greater Barrington area. This community does not feed into Barrington schools or recreation. The name is misleading to people looking to buy in the so called greater Barrington area.

Over the years, I have lived in several of the communities on the OP's list and am well aware that some of the municipalities and residents tend to create the perception that they are a part of the North Shore.

This is the first time, I have seen Morton Grove on such a list.

Each of these areas have strengths and weaknesses as does the northshore itself.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Absolutely anal. I can't believe the OP was accused of misleading and chastised by some for the title of this thread. Some people have too much time on their hands. Sorry, but most people consider Deerfield/Northbrook "north shore". Maybe not the TECHNICAL crowd who love to comment every day in these forums----who spend their time reviewing maps and boundaries. AVERAGE people (i.e. not the folks who comment here every day) consider SOME towns west of those ACTUALLY on the lake front as "north shore communities" The north shore is a region---not a technical boundary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs