Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:08 PM

137 posts, read 202,298 times

Advertisements

Oak Park's rougher areas are much rougher than Evanston's. Evanston has an amazing, though sometimes, racist and agressive, Police Department. Evanston crime is going down. It is very quiet, there is so much new upscale development, which is bringing in new money. Evanston does not have all the problems that Oak Park does. Schools in Evanston are better, crime is a bit lower, housing is more valuable, etc. I just really wish that people would consider places on the North Shore as to the Western Suburbs. There is so much development out there and a lot here but not as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty View Post
Oak Park's rougher areas are much rougher than Evanston's. Evanston has an amazing, though sometimes, racist and agressive, Police Department. Evanston crime is going down. It is very quiet, there is so much new upscale development, which is bringing in new money. Evanston does not have all the problems that Oak Park does. Schools in Evanston are better, crime is a bit lower, housing is more valuable, etc. I just really wish that people would consider places on the North Shore as to the Western Suburbs. There is so much development out there and a lot here but not as much.
Looking at the crime data on city-data, I don't see any real significant difference in the level of crime in OP versus Evanston. What are these problems you mention, that OP has that Evanston does not?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:33 PM

It is so close to the worst areas in the city. To get to the nice areas of Oak Park you have to go through some rough areas. As in Evanston you do not have to go through any to get where you want to go. Evanston is just more prestigous. Home to Jay Pritzker, Nancy Cusack, the Pivens, etc. Oak Park is not a part of a major affluent area. It also has not seen the development like Evanston has. Oak Park also has a major stigma to overcome. Evanston does not have terrible schools, it is not close to a terrible area of the city. Rogers Park is coming along. Evanston is just more desirable, mainly we have a lakefront, Oak Park's major front is an expressway.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
So my child is being deprived because we don't live next to the Cusacks? WTF? Seriously, kids don't need prestige growing up. Clearly you're not a parent as you know little about what family-friendly means.

Yeah, Austin is rough. Still our crime stats are similar to Evanston. We have aggressive police too. RF is even safer.

You say Evanston schools are not horrible. Are you implying that OP schools are? Do you have data to back that up?

I'm not saying the north shore isn't nice. Its a great area to raise a family. But so is Oak Park/River Forest.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM

Oak Park schools are not as good as Evanston public schools. I know families that are moving to Evanston from Oak Park because of the schools and safety. In Evanston your kid can go walk around town and play in the middle of the street. Evanston has family friendly cul-de-sacs unlike Oak Park. Evanston has a little more of a suburban feel than Oak Park. Oak Park and River Forest do not have schools that could even compare to Willard Elementary or Rhodes Elementary. If Oak Park is such a wonderful place to raise a family why do so many decide to add onto their commute and go live in Hinsdale?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Sukwoo,

Here is an example of a home on a neat Cul-De-Sac street. There are a lot of kids on this street. They walk to school together everyday, swim at their private beaches on the east side, play basketball, etc. That is my idea of a family friendly community. I don't think there is anything like this in Oak Park. Possibly in River Forest. Here is an example of a home on this Cul-De-Sac that is lower end for the street.
Single Family Home - 930 EDGEMERE CT, EVANSTON, IL, 60202 - Realtor.com

VHT - Photography, 360 Degree Virtual Panoramic Tours, Video Production

Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 4,214 times
Brenty you have no idea what you are talking about, Evanston and Wilmette are both very nice areas but so are Oak Park and River Forest. The grade and middle schools in oak park and river forest constantly rank among the top in the state and crime is not a problem. All the kids walk to school by themselves. There may be some bad areas in Oak Park but there are some in Evanston too. Your hinsdale arguement is absolutely ridiculous, people have different tastes, why do people commute further to live in Lake Forest and Glencoe when they can live in Evanston? its the same thing.

Heres some houses in Oak Park:
Chicago Tribune Home Search - Property Details

and River Forest:

Check out those links, you'll notice that they are very nice homes that are as nice if not nicer than the one you showed from Evanston. I do not know why why you are so anti- Oak Park and River Forest but stop making ridiculous claims that you can't back up.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM

I am not anti-Oak Park and River Forest. But, I think that most people would choose the Northern Suburbs over the Western Suburbs. It is just so many are misled into believing than the North Shore is stuck up and is overated. We have the lake the west doesn't. Especially being from Florida they probably like the water. By the way that house is not even close to being one of the top in Evanston. There are $10,000,000 homes in Evanston. They rarely ever are for sale because they are handed down. Many choose to live in Glencoe and those suburbs further because they have even better schools, less crime, better housing, more beauty, etc. I don't think Evanston is the greatest place on earth. But it is ceratiantly prettier than Oak Park. If Frank Lloyd Wright had homes in Evanston they would be worth far more than in Oak Park. By the way your links do not work.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,531 times
Quote:
I am not anti-Oak Park and River Forest. But, I think that most people would choose the Northern Suburbs over the Western Suburbs. It is just so many are misled into believing than the North Shore is stuck up and is overated. We have the lake the west doesn't. Especially being from Florida they probably like the water. By the way that house is not even close to being one of the top in Evanston. There are $10,000,000 homes in Evanston. They rarely ever are for sale because they are handed down. Many choose to live in Glencoe and those suburbs further because they have even better schools, less crime, better housing, more beauty, etc. I don't think Evanston is the greatest place on earth. But it is ceratiantly prettier than Oak Park. If Frank Lloyd Wright had homes in Evanston they would be worth far more than in Oak Park. By the way your links do not work.
I don't live anywhere near Evanston OR Oak Park, and have no ties to either city. But if your goal is to promote the North Shore and prove that it isn't "stuck up" your posts don't do a very good job of it. Your posts come across as extremely stuck up. How about this, for example:
Quote:
People are just jealous of North Shore people because we by far have the most wealthy people in one area.
I'm sure there are plenty of down-to-earth people in the North Shore, but your posts are doing nothing to change the stereotypes.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Okay, I realize saying the thing about people are jealous of the North Shore was not great way to get this person to change their mind. I want people to understand that the North Shore is the most ideal and desirable place for a city commuter to live and that there are affordable places. I understand it is a great sacrafice to settle for something smaller on the North Shore when you can have something larger in the western suburbs. The North Shore is an excellent place to live and is the best decision you could ever make. I have heard people say that they would go out and sleep in a tent to have their kids attend Evanston or New Trier. People think North Shore people are stuck up because of the enormous sence of pride we have of our gracious homes, vehicles, schools, communities, and personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs