Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 5,284 times

Advertisements

My husband may take a job in Chicago so I'm already researching some things. I guess my first question would be do most people live in suburbs and commute to work? He'll be working about 10 min S of downtown. We are in Wichita and have the luxury of no traffic and little commute...somedays he makes it home in 15 min and that's at 5 pm! What is an average commute time in Chicago?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 PM

35 posts, read 71,328 times
There are a jillion different places to live, so there are no easy answers. Really depends on your budget, where exactly you work (and therefore public transit options), and other lifestyle preferences/needs (eg, kids, city/suburb preferences, etc.)

We'll need more info on your specifics to provide any useful answers. By 10 min S of downtown do you mean Hyde Park / UChicago?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:10 AM

17 posts, read 21,771 times
yea say good bye to that luxury commute forever lol. unless you're wealthy enough to live that close to downtown you'll be okay. I live in the southwest suburbs and commutes during rush hour are a pain. It literally can take half hour or more to travel 2 miles. Now imagine commuting during rush hour from a suburb into downtown.... I'm sure many other members would happily describe that joyous experience

but as gelert said, we need more info to help you out.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:46 AM

768 posts, read 1,108,356 times
depending on your town desires (fun core, historic district, schools, parks, vibrancy, lake) + Budget you can still have it all here. it just can be pricey, really pricey - it is chicago...

Old 06-03-2015, 08:22 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,966,160 times
Kiss goodbye that commute. Mostly it will be at least an hour if not a little more unless you live in the city quite close. Most people don't necessarily live in the suburbs. Some like in the burbs, some city. Generally the suburbs have better schools that are public. Many city dwellers move from the city when they have school age children. Sounds like you should investigate the suburbs to live in with a train line to the city. Need to know more info to really help.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 5,284 times
Not familiar with the neighborhoods at all, but a google map search shows the location to be around South Lawndale? Maybe that's not even close to downtown?? I have no idea. This is our situation: we are in our late 30's, early 40's. Two young children, only one will be school age, so good school district is ideal. Wichita homes are very affordable: our home is almost 3000 sqft (including basement), 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, huge backyard, and was 200k. Is that even possible to buy a home for that much in/near Chicago?
I'm assuming it's more affordable to live in the burbs so that's what I've been looking at. I would prefer to live in the city, but I don't think we can afford it based on what I've seen. We definitely will not move unless his offer is significantly more than what his salary is now b/c I know Chicago will be much more expensive than Wichita KS. So, hopefully, our house budget will be more than what it would be here.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:08 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,091,835 times
The suburbs are expensive too. Even in further out suburbs, you won't be able to get what you have for $200k. The most you could get would be between 2000-2500 and that's the more affordable suburbs that are still safe, which many of them are over an hour from the city. In a lot of suburbs, you might only be able to get a townhome or a condo.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:14 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,954,017 times
Unless you can get on the same Metra line as your office, stay within ten miles. If the job is downtown you have it made, you can live anywhere within 40-50 miles, though service from the southwest suburbs isn't as good. In the city if you really want to live close, some neighborhoods are good.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 5,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifie050804 View Post
Two young children, only one will be school age, so good school district is ideal. Wichita homes are very affordable: our home is almost 3000 sqft (including basement), 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, huge backyard, and was 200k. Is that even possible to buy a home for that much in/near Chicago?
Just to give you some rough numbers: an average middle class Northwest Suburb with schools ranked 8-10, a median house will cost $150-200/sq ft. So a 3000 sq. ft. house will be approx. $450-600k. Obviously this is a generalization but should give you some idea.

By the way, we don't count basements in the square footage - so that should save you some money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs