Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 11,433 times

Advertisements

hello!

My husband and I are a week away from moving to Bloomingdale. I am so nervous and getting cold feet about the move!! (Currently live in the city). I love the house we bought but I don't know as much as I should about the neighborhood. Anyone out there live in Bloomingdale and love it?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 11:06 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
No but I go through it a lot and it seems to be a nice place. Lots of good shops around and some restaurants. YOu can easily get to a bunch of other places too just by going on a short drive. NOthing to worry about.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choosey View Post
hello!

My husband and I are a week away from moving to Bloomingdale. I am so nervous and getting cold feet about the move!! (Currently live in the city). I love the house we bought but I don't know as much as I should about the neighborhood. Anyone out there live in Bloomingdale and love it?

Thank you!!
You worry me. Why would you move to a town you admittedly don't know enough about?

TOWN IMPORTANCE > HOUSE IMPORTANCE

Old 07-26-2015, 12:19 PM

I know about the town. I don't think I can personally feel like I know enough about it until I actually live in it. So, I was hoping for some insiders point of view.

Thank you so much for worrying about me though. I really appreciate it!

Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
I lived in Bloomingdale for all of elementary and middle school in the Indian Lakes subdivision. It was a fun neighborhood to grow up in and I have good memories of living there. It was a good location for getting around the region and there is a lot of shopping, which was convenient. I can't really think of anything bad to say about Bloomingdale.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
There are certainly LOTS of places that are not as safe, do not have as much shopping, are more expensive, and generally not as good as value as Bloomingdale. That said, it is among the more car centric towns in DuPage Co and is not really as desirable as more traditionally styled towns that have an aesthetic and layout more evocative of quaint areas like one finds in New England villages.

It is entirely common to have feelings of "cold feet" and the name that is often associated with this is called "buyers remorse". So long as you and your spouse have done your homework and understand what sorts of value specific towns represent not just in terms of the specific home, but the neighborhood and the schools you will probably be fine. There are several larger employment centers accessible from Bloomingdale and if the move means a shorter commute that should be a real plus. Similarly, if you are coming from the city the relative amount of space you'll be getting and the significant increase in quiet could be literally life changing.

Every real estate decision involves many trade offs; I urge you to assess the positives as well as identify the negatives to reassure yourself that you, like thousands of home buyers before you, will experience some doubts but will ultimately very likely come to really treasure your new home.

There are all kinds of ways to come to term with your feelings. I recommend something similar to this:"
Quote:
...it’s an issue, because we allow ourselves to fall victim to the comparison game.

Love something, not because someone else has it. Not because of influential trends. Not because we feel pressured to please our mother in law’s sister’s mom…. We need to love our home as we learn to create, edit and appreciate it for what it is… made of what we love. In the present. Being happily content with what we have in the meantime.

Our choices, and our current, real life struggles are sometimes reflected quite clearly in our homes. Do you find it easy to get a bad case of ‘the inadequacies’ and sucked in to the comparison game? How can this play out in our homes, if we’re not careful?
buyer's remorse anony : the comparison gamethe handmade home

I further know many excellent salespeople that rely on a simple exercise to keep buyers from going off the rails --
Quote:
Practice countering negative opinions about your product with facts and highlights.
3 Ways to Overcome Buyer's Remorse - Maximizer Blog

Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That said, it is among the more car centric towns in DuPage Co and is not really as desirable as more traditionally styled towns that have an aesthetic and layout more evocative of quaint areas like one finds in New England villages.
I don't disagree, but have you seen that weird little "Old Town Bloomingdale" at Lake Street and Bloomingdale Road? It seems like they tried to create this old downtown feel, but it just didn't quite work out. After all, Bloomingdale's roots were as a farming village before the march of suburbia swallowed it up in the 20th Century. But it still provides some space for small festivals, and they do seem to use that gazebo for things. It's certainly better than nothing, and provides at least a small gathering point for the community.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Oh yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I don't disagree, but have you seen that weird little "Old Town Bloomingdale" at Lake Street and Bloomingdale Road? It seems like they tried to create this old downtown feel, but it just didn't quite work out. After all, Bloomingdale's roots were as a farming village before the march of suburbia swallowed it up in the 20th Century. But it still provides some space for small festivals, and they do seem to use that gazebo for things. It's certainly better than nothing, and provides at least a small gathering point for the community.
I imagine that some firm that specializes in municipal land use and such considers this a "win" in their PR materials but the overall impact it has on Bloomingdale is minimal.

Even towns along the route of the North Central rail line simply have not been able to capitalize on their stations to the same degree that towns with deeper historical ties to railways.

It is almost hard not to sound a little like an architecture professor (or wine snob) but there really is no substitute for "organic growth".

In the context of the OP's concerns, there are plenty of people that probably do not care about such things and might even make fun of those us who do notice how the evolution of "public spaces" is dictated by transportation needs and as long as they are comfortable with how their new home fits in with needs like getting to work and interactions socially things likely will work out fine. The efforts to program event at Bloomingdale's Old Town are a plus -- Summer Concert Series | Bloomingdale, IL - Official Website

Old 07-27-2015, 06:13 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's better than nothing, but when we lived there it wasn't an area we went to with any regularity. Of course, maybe that's because my parents were just busy with their jobs and 3 kids close in age. I always thought old town was odd.

We did use the park district pool, library and Stratford Square and Bloomingdale Court ALL the time though.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far! ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs