Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 25,571 times

Advertisements

We are moving to McHenry county this summer to be closer to family in the woodstock area. I have a potential job opportunity in the village of Spring Grove which I know is in the county but on the other side. What can you tell me about it? Any help, advice, or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 02:30 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
on the other side of? Oh yes the county. I live in Richmond, Spring Grove is very nice!! Its not really "the country" not like Woodstock is anyway. Its closer to Chicago and more of a "suburb" though on the edge of that. It is close to Wisconsin and close to the Chain o Lakes area (great, if you like recreation and water). I could live closer to work (Barrington) or closer to the city but I am from the Chain area and well, put it this way -- I had a choice but I moved all the way out to Richmond....its unique for Illinois because we have some very nice state parks (Glacial Park and Chain o Lakes State Park) both are great for hiking and biking and just relaxing. The traffic is not so bad and you have all the amenties nearby in Mchenry. The bigger malls and shopping are a short drive away....its just a nice area where you have still have lots of space, green, low crime, and its close to all that you need. I dont know where you are coming from so I cant do a comparison for you. Overall, its a great place, cant go wrong....it doesn't have a big downtown or lots of restaraunts, but they are not far away.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:32 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
Well... let's see. it's been along time since i was up that way....

my mom used to live in unincorporated Richmond, which was actually closer to Spring Grove.

I always loved being up there. nice, quiet, clean....

here is the C-D.com link to it Spring Grove, Illinois (IL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

what specifically are you looking for, info-wise?

Old 01-27-2008, 06:24 AM

Default General Info

I just wanted to make sure that it was a nice clean space. A small atmosphere but close enough to things that we need restraunts, stores ect . with a short drive. I just want a nice safe place to live and eventually have kids. Any infomration just to give me a feel for what people think of the area is great! I just want to make sure it isnt one of those places that people say -oh dont go there! Thanks for the help.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:09 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
>>I just want to make sure it isnt one of those places that people say -oh dont go there!

I think it would be a great place to live and start a family.

you're far enough away, but not too far from what you are looking for in shops and restaurants.

I know my mother LOVED it up there. opposed the here [western burbs]

Old 01-27-2008, 02:00 PM

I think its an excellent place to raise a family, I am moving to California soon but if I were married and having kids I would happily settle in the Spring Grove area...I grew up not too far away so I do consider myself an expert!! Spring Grove is just a bit nicer than where I grew up.

There is a brand new Jewel grocery store in Spring Grove (I love it, right on my way home...used to have to go to Mchenry or Fox Lake...or the small store in Richmond). All of your regular needs can be met in Mchenry (About 10 miles, easy drive no traffic) or Fox Lake in the other direction (less than 10 miles). McHenry has more in the way of restaraunts and big box stores (and mostly brand new developments). For the bigger malls you will be in easy driving distance to Gurnee for Gurnee Mills, Hawthorne Mall in Vernon Hills and Woodfield in Schaumburg, not to mention outlet malls over the border in Kenosha and Pleasant Prairie in Wisconsin.....oh and not to forget Lake Geneva, WI -- great in the summer, more speciality shops and unique restaraunts....beautiful lake and recreation area, very touristy lots of people there in the summer.
The only people that would warn you against Spring Grove would be people that need to live in an area with a bigger downtown, and more excitment. It is a small town, but its not in the middle of nowhere. Richmond (Where I live) is also very quaint with lots of antique shops. Very safe area. I dont know about the schools but I think they are better than the ones to the south in Fox Lake (where I went!)

Where are you coming from? that would help us to give you some comparisons.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 AM

We're actually comming from Flordia! It's quite the move I know. But all of our family is up there and we just want to be there. We live in Tallahassee which isn't a huge city but it's big enough to have all of the city things that we dont love to make us not want to live in the heart of the city. We really are just looking forward to living in a safe place in a small town where there is a nice community atmosphere.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 AM

okay, well yeah the biggest change will definitley be the weather!!!!! Other than that, you should be happy and comfortable, and safe. It's a nice community. Though, if you work in spring grove you don't have to live in the same town. If you get here and look around a little you might find a neighboring suburb you like even better. Most people live in a different town than the one they work in. So keep an open mind and just do your research, I think you will be just fine.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:41 PM

36 posts, read 116,363 times
I know this is late, but I wanted to say that I live in SG and it's a great place to live. We have excellent schools, and the town has a real small town feel without being too small. We have been here for 3 years now and have been extremely happy with everything. Housing prices have dropped due to the economy but they will eventually head back up. It's a really nice place to live. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
HEre is a link to the official Village home page Home Page for Village of Spring Grove, Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs