Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 PM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Elmhurst, but now live in Northern California away from my family and my husband's. It appears as if I'm headed for divorce against my wishes. If this happens, I want to move back to Chicago so my kids can be around family.

I don't particularly want to move back to Elmhurst. Can anyone give me advice on good elementary schools (one will be in K or 1st and one in 2nd) in areas where apartments are nice but not extremely pricey? (I know, a dream shot.)

I have no idea where I'd be working. First comes good schools for my kids and a good area in which they could live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:40 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Arlington Heights, the west edge of Wheeling, Buffalo Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Itasca, Downers Grove, Oakbrook Terrace, Elmwood Park, Bartlett (DuPage side), South Elgin, St. Charles, Barrington, Cary, Crystal Lake, Glenview, Naperville, Plainfield.

There's a lot of areas here. You should try to narrow it down to how far from the city you want to live in, how close to your family in Elmhurst, etc.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Again like the other reply said there are a ton of areas to look in, so its hard to narrow it down. If you are looking for a nice apartment for under $1000 a mo. with 2 bedrooms then I would suggest Palos Hills right off 88th Ave. and 107th Street. The area is bordered by forest preserves so it really gives the area a rustic feel, not to mention the area is also very hilly so it really doesn't feel like you are in IL. Schools in the area are good and the area is very safe. Palos Hills PD is nothing to mess with and scoundrals know it.

Other areas that I know of and you as well as many others wouldn't believe is affordable as the rents are under $1000 a mo. and heat is usually included is right in Orland Park which is known to be a very prestigous area. There is an area of aparments in town that is bordered by La Grange Road on the west, 143rd St. on the north, West Ave on the west, and Centenial Park on the south. This area has plenty to do for kids as the village has numerous programs for youths such as the soccer team (leaving you a soccer mom ) as well as many other organizations. Schools are rated very high and if you are in that area I believe that it would put you into High Point Elemetary's district. High Point Elementary School - Orland Park, Illinois - IL - school overview And Metra has three stations in town two of which are right in this neighborhood having trains going to Union Station downtown.

Here are some listings for you. :: Classifieds ::

Old 01-27-2008, 09:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Arlington Heights, the west edge of Wheeling, Buffalo Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Itasca, Downers Grove, Oakbrook Terrace, Elmwood Park, Bartlett (DuPage side), South Elgin, St. Charles, Barrington, Cary, Crystal Lake, Glenview, Naperville, Plainfield.

There's a lot of areas here. You should try to narrow it down to how far from the city you want to live in, how close to your family in Elmhurst, etc.
I am going to give Arlington Heights an edge here. Schools are good. There are at least 5 public swimming pools and people tend to idtentify themselves by the closest park. The Park District does an outstanding job with programs for children. Peopel actually walk, in Arlington Heights.

It's is central to the entire NW suburban area, including Schaumburg -a major employment base. The express train to Chicago is about 35 minutes.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 AM

10 posts, read 25,431 times
Next time you're in town check out The Commons of Palos Park. Very protected from the congestion of the city, yet very close in. Adjacent to Metra trains if you need to work downtown...in an excellent school district with elementary schools very nearby. Close to Orland Park shopping and Palos Community Hospital across the street. Price range would be about $400 and up. Also, huge forest preserves all around...great for hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs