Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 PM

72 posts, read 262,894 times

Advertisements

Anyone have anyone they know in the joliet/plainfield area that finishes basements for a good price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 07:52 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giazma View Post
Anyone have anyone they know in the joliet/plainfield area that finishes basements for a good price?
Funny you ask that, because I'm looking to finish my basement in the Joliet/Plainfield area as well. I got a quote from the basement finishing company associated with the pink panther (not sure if I can post their name) and their quote seemed EXTREMELY high to me. To finish about 700 sq. feet of my basement, they quoted me $41,000! If I had signed up right away they would give me some discounts for flexible installation times and allowing my home to be shown to other prospective customers, then it would be $36,000 after these discounts! Needless to say, I'm looking into more affordable options now. And that quote was only for a large rec room; no multiple rooms, no bathroom, etc.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 AM

68 posts, read 300,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Funny you ask that, because I'm looking to finish my basement in the Joliet/Plainfield area as well. I got a quote from the basement finishing company associated with the pink panther (not sure if I can post their name) and their quote seemed EXTREMELY high to me. To finish about 700 sq. feet of my basement, they quoted me $41,000! If I had signed up right away they would give me some discounts for flexible installation times and allowing my home to be shown to other prospective customers, then it would be $36,000 after these discounts! Needless to say, I'm looking into more affordable options now. And that quote was only for a large rec room; no multiple rooms, no bathroom, etc.

Um, KEEP SHOPPING!

Faithfully,

G.A.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Do you have any family/friends that do that sort of thing, that saves you big $$$? And what are you looking to do? Drywall ceilings? Cabinetry? Showers? That info needs to be given to help you in your search.

My friend was a carpenter and helped us finish our basement. We just did the walls, ceiling (drop), carpet (berber), paint, can lighting, etc. Ran us 2K for the whole project.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Do you have any family/friends that do that sort of thing, that saves you big $$$? And what are you looking to do? Drywall ceilings? Cabinetry? Showers? That info needs to be given to help you in your search.

My friend was a carpenter and helped us finish our basement. We just did the walls, ceiling (drop), carpet (berber), paint, can lighting, etc. Ran us 2K for the whole project.
The company who gave us that outrageous quote has their own walls that they use, they are supposed to be mold resistant and are removable. One of their sales pitches is how they can be installed much quicker than drywall, so I thought it might be cheaper than doing it the old fasioned way with drywall, since less labor usually means less cost. Apparently not in this case! But yes, we are just interested in drywall, drop ceiling, berber, like you described. Nothing fancy, we don't need a bathroom or cabinetry or anything. We just want to make a large rec room to use as a T.V. area/playroom. We will need closets built around the water heater and furnace. For the most part our family is not that handy, although I do have an uncle who is in the remodeling business so I am going to ask him if that is something he could do.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
The company who gave us that outrageous quote has their own walls that they use, they are supposed to be mold resistant and are removable. One of their sales pitches is how they can be installed much quicker than drywall, so I thought it might be cheaper than doing it the old fasioned way with drywall, since less labor usually means less cost. Apparently not in this case! But yes, we are just interested in drywall, drop ceiling, berber, like you described. Nothing fancy, we don't need a bathroom or cabinetry or anything. We just want to make a large rec room to use as a T.V. area/playroom. We will need closets built around the water heater and furnace. For the most part our family is not that handy, although I do have an uncle who is in the remodeling business so I am going to ask him if that is something he could do.
In that case, 14K is outrageous. We went cheap (but sturdy) in our construction, using metal studs/framing, drywall, cheap (but nice) berber from Menards, can lighting, drop ceiling. I believe our total bill was a little over 2K, Ill have to check with the wife on that. Anyways, what saved us was labor costs. All we had to do was supply the beer, food and tunes for my friend and he worked for free. Total time to finish was 4 weekends, which isnt bad at all.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:42 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
i wouldn't think that it should be any more than 6 or 7k even with labor. That sounds like the biggest rip off of all time.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:51 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,541 times
My friend did her basement for 35k and it has a limestone fireplace, custom molding and book cases and a beautiful all wood wet bar. I certainly think 41k is too much for the pink people system. Keep shopping. I would think there are a lot of carpenters out there who are looking for work since the builders they work for a slow. I just had a union electrician out to upgrade my service panel and he said he is always looking for side jobs because the national builder he works for can't keep him busy. I got a great deal. Good luck to you!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,578 times
Try Westcon Builders for any home additions and remodeling. They do an excellent job! 630-953-1878

Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,578 times
You can Also try Jim he does just about anything for home improvements. 630-690-7991 He is a handy man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs