Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM

35 posts, read 218,270 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving to Chicago in May and are concentrating on these suburbs. We've found plenty of great properties for sale but the "micro" location question is still torturing me! For example, I keep reading that proximity to the Lake is most desirable. Does this mean "within walking distance"? We've found some nice properties that fit the description, but the down side is rather small lots (under .5 acres, mostly in Highland Park and Glencoe). On the other hand, we've found other very nice properties (ex. along Green Bay Road and E. Deerpath Rd in Lake Forest) that have considerably more land (1+ acres), which in an ideal world, would be my preference. While my husband and I are largely private people, I want to make sure that we're not isolated for our children's sake (HS age). In the final analysis, we would like to be in a setting within any of these communities that offers the fullest lifestyle options (not sure what that means to us quite frankly, but I guess it would be some area where the kids could easily access the trains/ downtown areas and there's things for them to do without going too far). We'd like a "pseudo-city/suburb" feel as opposed to a "country" feel. We'd like to be relatively close to shopping and restaurants, but activities like golf and tennis are just occasional so no value placed there. I kind of like the idea of being close to Ravinia, and also love the area around the Deerpath Inn, but don't know much about any of the areas to commit. Since we don't know how long we'll end up staying in Chicago, we'd want to buy in a desirable location for future resale purposes.

Therefore, I would appreciate your thoughts on the following:

1) What are the perceived advantages of being close to the Lake? How far from the Lake is still considered "East" location? (It would be great if you could offer road markers). Also, are dogs allowed on the lake? Would there be a lot of foot traffic on the streets closest to the lake? And does being "on a lake street" necessarily mean you can access the lake by walking there? What I mean is, some of it seems deceptive because I've looked on "live maps" and I don't see how homes "steps from the lake" can actually access the lake without going through the lakefront property, which of course is not an option, lol!

2) Can you offer any insight regarding the microcommunities within each of these towns? I see descriptions like "Braeside" and others, but it doesn't mean much to me, but it seems that there are differences... any insight there? We're very laid back and down to earth people and would prefer not to be in the "blue blood" neighborhoods, but at the end of the day, we don't live with our neighbors so whatever. The important thing is to be in a place where people respect each other's privacy but are cordial and sincere. Oh, and some place where the occasional barking dogs (2 big ones) will be tolerated!

3) What streets comprise the "downtown" areas of these towns??? Can't seem to find that information anywhere on the comminities' websites!

Thanks to eveyone for your help, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
I can tell you all these towns are greatly desirable with wonderful neighborhoods, good schools, very nice 'towns' and an easy metra train to Chicago. Lake Forest has a beautiful 'downtown', beach,some of the most stunnning homes in the city and top notch schools.Its the furthest from Chicago. However, I can say pretty much the same for the other towns. Beautiful,upscale communities. Walking distance to the lake/local beaches and parks would definitly be desirable. The New Trier school district of Highland Park is tops. Glencoe would be closest to Evanston/and downtown chicago.I hope you will also do the "SEARCH" on this forum for alot of info and and discussions on these towns. I would not consider any of these areas "country" and all have golf courses,clubs as well as nice restaraunts. I am sure all the towns have laid back people as well as blue bloods. Its up to you who you wish to associate with. I think all in all, you have great choices.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:46 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,307 times
I'll try my best. It's just my opinion or perception...

1) What are the perceived advantages of being close to the Lake? How far from the Lake is still considered "East" location? (It would be great if you could offer road markers). Also, are dogs allowed on the lake? Would there be a lot of foot traffic on the streets closest to the lake? And does being "on a lake street" necessarily mean you can access the lake by walking there? What I mean is, some of it seems deceptive because I've looked on "live maps" and I don't see how homes "steps from the lake" can actually access the lake without going through the lakefront property, which of course is not an option, lol!

The advantages of being close to the Lake are the ability to walk there (or be a short drive from it) and enjoy it on a regular basis. Property values are higher, even for smaller homes that are .5 miles from the Lake. No, there isn't alot of noticeable foot traffic on the streets closer to the Lake. I would say that most people would say anything East of Green Bay Road would be east, but it depends upon the town. Some areas west of GBR are still considered "east" in terms of location. On the Lake means precisely that. You actually have lakefront property. If you live on some of the streets that are along the lake, there are access points/private beaches for the residents of those particular streets. Lakewood Place (name of street) in Highland Park is one such example. Dogs are usually only allowed off leash on some beaches. However, there are walking paths at some of the beaches and dogs on leash are allowed. Highland Park has a beach specifically for dogs (Morraine beach on the north end of town).

2) Can you offer any insight regarding the microcommunities within each of these towns? I see descriptions like "Braeside" and others, but it doesn't mean much to me, but it seems that there are differences... any insight there? We're very laid back and down to earth people and would prefer not to be in the "blue blood" neighborhoods, but at the end of the day, we don't live with our neighbors so whatever. The important thing is to be in a place where people respect each other's privacy but are cordial and sincere. Oh, and some place where the occasional barking dogs (2 big ones) will be tolerated!

There aren't that many differences except for housing stock and lot size in these "microcommunities". Highland Park is a healthy mix of Jewish and Christian population. There are a couple of fairly large synagogues and about a handful of churches. I think the most "blue blood" suburb is probably Kenilworth, with Lake Forest and Winnetka runners up. Glencoe also has more of a jewish/christian mix. Lake Forest High School serves Lake Forest. Highland Park High School serves Highland Park and New Trier serves Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe and parts or all of Northfield.

I couldn't say specifically where people would respect your privacy. I would imagine that's very block to block specific, but overall, almost anywhere you go. Now if you are talking about being in a social versus less social neighborhood, that might be difficult to determine beforemand. In my neighborhood, we're all cordial and sincere, down to earth people, but we're very social and welcoming, maybe a little much for you! I think there are lots of neighborhoods like this, especially those where the houses are on smaller lots. Most people on my block have lived here over ten years, many 15-20 years. My husband and I moved here when we were 28, didn't know a soul. We liked it so much we added on to our little house and are still around 14 years later. If you want a little more privacy, a bigger lot is probably a better option.

3) What streets comprise the "downtown" areas of these towns??? Can't seem to find that information anywhere on the comminities' websites!

The downtown area of Highland Park is generally, on the west, Green Bay Road, on the South, Laurel Avenue, on the North, Elm Place and to the east, Linden Avenue. Highland Park also has the Ravinia business district, which is the corrider along Roger Williams from Green Bay Road to Dean Avenue.

In Glencoe, it's Green Bay to the East, Vernon, or a little west of Vernon Avenue, south border is Hazel, and north border is Park Avenue.

In Lake Forest, Woodland on north bounday, Western is east, Oakwood is west boundary and Illinois is south boundary.

Obviously, there are business outside of all of these areas mentioned, but the bulk of the downtown merchants are within those boundaries.

Hope this helped. Feel free to ask more questions if I didn't cover something fully.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 PM

35 posts, read 218,270 times
Smile Thanks!

Thank you both for your help! Another question is: is there another train line in these areas besides the Metra? And how disturbing is the noise from the train tracks for homes located reasonably close to it? I've seen some properties that seem to be rather close (ie, a couple of acres away from a train track) and am surprised that they would build such expensive homes in those areas...

PS -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I couldn't say specifically where people would respect your privacy. I would imagine that's very block to block specific, but overall, almost anywhere you go. Now if you are talking about being in a social versus less social neighborhood, that might be difficult to determine beforemand. In my neighborhood, we're all cordial and sincere, down to earth people, but we're very social and welcoming, maybe a little much for you!
Lol, Paige65! We actually 'like' people and would welcome a few friends; we just haven't been very lucky in that regard in our previous neighborhoods, but we'll be pleasantly surprised if it actually happens! Still, we have very demanding careers and limited time, so socializing is more of an added bonus than a necessity. In fact, I've been reading the characterization of the type of people that comprise these neighborhoods (according to the good people sharing in this forum), so I'm a bit wary if you would re: 'acceptance into the fold', but more so for my kids than ourselves. This move is going to be difficult for them so I just hope that they find a group they can fit into to make it a bit easier for them.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 PM

66 posts, read 150,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITend2XL View Post
Thank you both for your help! Another question is: is there another train line in these areas besides the Metra? And how disturbing is the noise from the train tracks for homes located reasonably close to it? I've seen some properties that seem to be rather close (ie, a couple of acres away from a train track) and am surprised that they would build such expensive homes in those areas...

The Metra is pretty much it. You can drive to the Southern edge of Wilmette (Linden stop) or Northern edge of Evanston (Central stop) and catch the Purple Line of the 'L' (or take the Metra to the Evanston Davis stop and switch to the L).

I live in a condo in downtown Evanston directly across the street from the Metra stop. A train "passing by" is not too noticeable, and passes very quickly. Trains that stop will be a bit louder, for about 30 seconds. Outside of the weekday rush hour times, a train will only pass in each direction roughly once an hour. If you will be commuting to downtown Chicago, I think the slight noise is a small price to pay for easy access to the Metra.

edit:

I might also ask if you considered houses in East Evanston? Along the lake, and a few streets in, feature some quite amazing homes that feel sufficiently "suburban" yet you are only a handful of blocks from downtown Evanston, the most "city-like" of the North Shore.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:02 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
I just want to say, I can only imagine how much pain you must be in. What could be a worse fate in life then having to decide how close to the lake you want to live on the North Shore.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:43 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,307 times
Hey ITend2XL,

WRT the train... I live, as the crow flies, less than 1,000 feet from the tracks, and it's never been an issue. I'm a street away, so I do have the buffer of other houses. My house isn't directly on the street where the tracks are, but one street in from that. I think you eventually get used to it if you notice it at first. If one's house or yard actually abuts the rail right of way, the value would most likely be somewhat lower, but otherwise, being close to one of the stations is considered a selling point. You are right in that there are plenty of $1mil-$2mil homes within close proximity to the Metra rail line. If you could see the area, you would be able to tell that they all "blend together" (train, houses, small businesses, etc.) well. The other thing to know is that it's only a commuter line, no freight trains. The schedule begins around 5:30 a.m. and ends around 1:00 a.m. During the non-commute hours (from about 7:30 p.m. on), the trains will stop once an hour.

I feel for your kids having to make this move! I can't imagine many teenagers love moving mid high school.

Good luck. Feel free to ask additional questions.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:25 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,743 times
My suggestion is to spend some time in these communities to determine which is the best fit. We lived in Winnetka for a while in the Hubbard Woods area and loved the amenities. We wound up moving because although we loved the location, we tired of the competitive and self absorbed nature of the people who lived around us. This doesn't mean all people in the community are like that, we did meet some very nice people too, but after a while enough was enough. We moved to another community and found a really nice pocket where we know our neighbors and everyone is really nice, but respectful of each other's privacy.

BTW - having lake access from your property on the Northshore will be quite costly - I remember seeing a lot on the lake in Lake Forest with an asking price of 7M. That was a few years ago.

Take your time, visit, talk to people in the neighborhood. Go to local shopping areas and see what you think. From a resale perspective I don't think you can go wrong in any of these areas. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 24,827 times
Calidreemer, I am really curious as to which community you moved to after leaving Winnetka. We are trying to figure out where to live (we've settled on the North Shore), coming from SF, this summer. I seem to gravitate towards Glencoe or Wilmette but frankly don't have any particular reason why. We have two small kids (and another on the way) and are regular people. I worry about the competition I've heard about, but want a safe, small town to live in w/great public schools and a well-educated, interesting community. (And coming from SF, we can afford a small home on the North Shore...) Is it true that Wilmette is just a little more down-to-earth than, say, Kenilworth or Winnetka...even Glencoe?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:55 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Why dont you come and visit and see whats right for YOU. Everyone will have their own opinion based on their own experience. You are the one who needs to feel out the towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs