Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:16 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

I appreciate what the author of the Vox article was trying to convey but I suspect that it works better in towns that are so small as to have a single more tightly defined commercial district. (though when the co-op was the only place for groceries in Hyde Park I remember co-workers down their going out their way to find alternatives, so nothing is perfect..).

I like LaGrange quite a lot and have many friends / business associates that call it home but it really is large enough for several different sections of town that do not necessarily guarantee bumping into your neighbors. Folks can shop at the Mariano's in the Garden Market center west of Willow Springs Rd on 47th St, though folks north of the tracks might trek up to the "big" Mariano's at Wolf & 31st. Folks in the northeast part of town might shop at the Jewel on Woodlawn, east of LaGrange Rd, or the Trader Joe's or the little Devries. Folks in the southern part of town probably head to the Jewel at 55th St, if you are "value shopper" maybe you down to the Sam's Club or Costco...

There are no suburbs in the whole region that really have the kind of "isolation" that they can rely on just their own town's shopping district(s). There is still a lot of "sprawliness" in where the various chains stores are located throughout the region...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
I do like La Grange and glen Ellyn. Wheaton also has some great amenities, even if you live in GE, Wheaton is a big town with beautiful parks and green space as well as great shopping.

Keep in mind its not apparent to the person driving down Roosevelt Road what all is out there. Some of the stuff you have to know the lay of the land more to find, the shops, the restaurants, the parks, etc.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 10,899 times
Thanks for these great posts. We are all in the debate of living in La Grange or Glen Ellyn. My husband is there now searching for us!

Old 11-07-2015, 05:51 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,365 times
Tell your husband to grab kama for dinner in LG if he likes good indian food. It is the absolute best around! If he is more traditional then go to nicksons which is american with a twist...

Old 11-08-2015, 09:59 AM

I went to Vie last night in Western Springs. It was good. Western Springs is another nice town near La Grange and Hinsdale. Lots of nice non cookie cutter houses and a small town center.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,365 times
Vie in western springs is a great award winning dining recommendation by toria - its really (really) good but a bit more on the expensive side. Its in the heart of downtown western springs. For breakfest do prasino (la grange) or eclipse (western springs)... Chicago has a way of turning people into foodies...

La Grange, Western Springs and Hinsdale cores are very close proximity - no freeways, neighboring towns... From LG, It takes us 5 minutes to drive to WS or 10 to drive to HD. Its definitely a good idea to checkout all 3 while here. On the flip side do go see wheaton with GE...

Good Luck.

Last edited by JJski; 11-08-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-08-2015, 02:28 PM

Yes Vie is expensive. I recommend Vie, Autre Monde in Berwyn, and the Chew Chew in Riverside. All nice restaurants on the expensive side.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:33 AM

418 posts, read 906,639 times
You all are making me hungry. I will be scouting a place for dinner on Wednesday after checking out the area. Angmcd, let me know your husband's perspective. I'm looking forward to exploring a bit.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 AM

8 posts, read 10,899 times
Hi WannaBeInBoston......my husband loved the energy and vibe of la grange. But, he preferred the schools in Glen Ellyn! Decisions, decisions, decisions! Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:37 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angmcd View Post
Hi WannaBeInBoston......my husband loved the energy and vibe of la grange. But, he preferred the schools in Glen Ellyn! Decisions, decisions, decisions! Will be interested to hear your thoughts.
I'd say Hinsdale probably has nearly as much "energy" as La Grange with schools that are even more preferred to Glen Ellyn, but honestly it would be hard to make a mistake with any of these. The right "fit" will include the specifics of each home, weighed with factors like proximity to both work and the amenities of the town you choose. Right now there are a surprisingly good number of options in Hinsdale that are well located and well priced, sometimes things just "come together" as you really can't predict which sellers might be downsizing or moving within town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs