Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times

Advertisements

No offense, but Downers Grove is one of the least European places I've ever been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:18 PM

376 posts, read 488,988 times
I'd certainly add Lemont to the list: large Polish and Lithuanian population, a fairly nice downtown (and the Slovenian and Lithuanian World Centers). Not sure what the price range is; Lemont can be procey in areas. Good restaurants (though not ehtnic groceries) are light.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,120 times
I would check out Park Ridge, DesPlaines, Morton Grove area. Large polish population in that area. My parents who are from Poland live in Park Ridge. When I visit them--my mom has taken me to the TJ Maxx Harlem & Dempster. Almost all the people there speak polish--in the store & customers. There is a store called Shop N Save in Golf Mill Shopping Center in DesPlaines--in the deli they all speak polish--a lot of polish customers as well. Also, Andy's Deli on Milwaukee Ave--they all speak polish there as well the Red Apple Rest. on Milwaukee down the street form Eagle Rest. Another suburb to check out is Schaumburg--they also have a Shop N Save there--again tons of polish people along with tons of polish delicasies in the store along with most people working in the store speak Polish.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepolishgirl View Post
I would check out Park Ridge, DesPlaines, Morton Grove area. Large polish population in that area. My parents who are from Poland live in Park Ridge. When I visit them--my mom has taken me to the TJ Maxx Harlem & Dempster. Almost all the people there speak polish--in the store & customers. There is a store called Shop N Save in Golf Mill Shopping Center in DesPlaines--in the deli they all speak polish--a lot of polish customers as well. Also, Andy's Deli on Milwaukee Ave--they all speak polish there as well the Red Apple Rest. on Milwaukee down the street form Eagle Rest. Another suburb to check out is Schaumburg--they also have a Shop N Save there--again tons of polish people along with tons of polish delicasies in the store along with most people working in the store speak Polish.
Did you notice that this post is from 2008?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Believe it or not, I think Riverside is one of the top contenders.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
You should check out Elk Grove Village. I went to Busse Woods and I felt I was the only one that wasn't from Europe.
I think the OP was referring to more of the built-commercial environment.

Meaning, walkable, compact downtown, non-chain places, access to trains, and safety. All things that are characteristic of European communities.

Yes, Busse Woods does have a very high % foreign born taking advantage of the forest preserve, including many polish and eastern Europeans. Thats very true. However, Elk Grove Village and surrounding communities are the epitome of American-style urban sprawl.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Believe it or not, I think Riverside is one of the top contenders.
I agree. It feels a bit like an english village.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepolishgirl View Post
Yes, you are very right.

However, I like I mentioned, the OP was referring more to the built environment. Meaning, more historic (quaint), walkable compact downtown, non-chain places and easy access to trains.

Schaumburg is the polar opposite of this. The other places mentioned do have that a little, however, it depends on where from Europe this person is coming from.

If Polish or other eastern Europe then yes all the places they would fit right in. If England or even another western European country, it may not matter, as much, as the culture is different, and some of the previously mentioned western suburbs might be a bit better.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
I'd certainly add Lemont to the list: large Polish and Lithuanian population, a fairly nice downtown (and the Slovenian and Lithuanian World Centers). Not sure what the price range is; Lemont can be procey in areas. Good restaurants (though not ehtnic groceries) are light.
I think the downtown area with older, smaller homes that need a bit of work is not as pricey. Although the larger subdivision homes that border on "mcmansion" maybe more so.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,454 times
Having just moved here I'm of no help whatsoever; however, I'm happy to jump on the "there's nothing European" in the midwest bandwagon! We love Oswego so far. It's smallish, there's a real community feeling, and it doesn't seem overwrought by chains. (except on 34, which is chain heaven or hell depending upon your perspective!) I hear you on the uppity thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs