Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:52 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The future for education and frankly all government services in Illinois IS GRIM. There is literally NO WAY that things will not face more cuts AND more tax increases. If you are shopping for towns that are least likely to reduce things like gifted education and art and music you need to seek out the towns with sufficient tax base to support these "cuttable" things...
Or at least a willingness to pay for them. Well-off districts that value these programs will continue to support them with their property tax dollars regardless of what happens with state funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:49 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I can't disagree more. I live in Glen Ellyn and rarely deal with troublesome traffic unless I'm taking the Ike in to the city. It's not bad at all out here, except for a few arterials at rush hour peak periods. But you quickly learn alternate routes if you live in the area.

There's certainly very little traffic between Wheaton residential areas and any of the nature spots I identified.
I used to shop at McChesney's before they closed, lived on Pennsylvania Ave. Even with shortcuts traffic is a nightmare once the buses start rolling at 2PM lasting until 6PM. I still go to Alfie's regularly and love Barones. But if given the choice, I'd take Barrington over Glen Ellyn in a heart beat.

The whole town is literally surrounded by miles of forest preserve.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:56 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
I think the OP's choices are all excellent. Barrington, Tower Lakes, and parts of Inverness feed into the same school district. Other areas of Inverness feed into Fremd district which is good. And I've always heard good things about Wheaton schools and love that area.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:58 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
From District 220 website...

"At this time there is no mandate for gifted education in the state of Illinois. The current Illinois law regarding gifted education states that the requirement for gifted services is incumbent upon state funding. Since there is no state or federal funding available for gifted education, districts must use their own funds if they decide to have gifted programs. Many Illinois school districts have drastically reduced or totally cut their gifted programs. Barrington has a long history of supporting high ability learners. In a state that offers no funding or requirement for trained teachers of gifted students, 220’s Extended teachers stand out with strong backgrounds in gifted education and frequent professional development experiences. These teachers often host visitors from other school districts who see 220 as a well-developed model to explore as they attempt to expand or revise their gifted programs. Extended teachers are also popular presenters at the Illinois Association for Gifted Children conventions. The continuum of gifted services is regularly cited by families as their primary reason for moving to Barrington. These services are periodically reviewed and revised to reflect current best practice in gifted education.

In an era in which much attention is focused on students reaching minimal benchmarks, gifted students as a group are being overlooked. Lawmakers need to hear individual stories of how challenging curriculum taught by trained instructors can engage and motivate our strongest learners; the students who could become our nation’s greatest problem solvers. Parents whose children have had successful experiences in District 220’s Extended Program are encouraged to contact their legislators to help them understand the crucial need for statewide expansion of services for gifted students. To truly make a difference in what is made available for all gifted children, parents and teachers need to make lawmakers aware of the unique needs of high ability students."

http://barrington220.org/site/defaul...6&PageID=10948

Old 12-31-2015, 04:30 AM

29 posts, read 29,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Have you found a job yet? If so, where will it be? None of the areas you are looking at are diverse. Libertyville is less diverse than any of the towns you mentioned so I would skip out on it especially if you're concerned with it's distance from Chicago. Barrington is a little bit because it's school district serve parts if Hoffman Estates and Carpentersville.

I know Wheaton's special education program is very good, not sure about their gifted program. And I know Barrington has a very good gifted program, but not sure about their special education program. Half of Inverness is in the Palatine school district and the other half is in the Barrington school district. Fremd HS the HS that would be assigned to your home if you live on the Palatine side of Inverness has a very good special education program.
We will be self employed. Thanks for the information!

Old 12-31-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
What??

The Wheaton Park District manages 800 acres of green space, including the 146-acre Lincoln Marsh and even a free zoo.

Lincoln Marsh Natural Area
Cosley Zoo

Downtown Wheaton is the terminus for all three branches of the Illinois Prairie Path, providing easy access to a staggering 60+ miles of green trails.

Illinois Prairie Path. North America's first successful rails-to-trails conversion.

Wheaton contains or borders Danada Farm and Preserve, Cantigny Park, Morton Arboretum, St. James Farm, Kline Creek Farm, Blackwell Preserve, and Herrick Lake Preserve -- collectively they represent multiple 1000 acres of green space and trails.

Danada Equestrian Center and Danada Preserve: 825 acres
Cantigny Park: 500 acres
The Morton Arboretum: 1700 acres
St. James Farm: 612 acres
Kline Creek Farm: 1163 acres
Blackwell Forest Preserve: 1379 acres
Herrick Lake Preserve: 896 acres
Thanks for clearing that up:-) LOL might come in quite handy

Old 12-31-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
The OP said they are probably working from home which seems like they might've not got a job yet. However, if they are working from home, Arlington Heights/ Mount Prospect/ Prospect Heights in the Hersey HS district would also be a good choice.
I did like Hersey, in fact, it was a favorite. I am only avoiding it as a final fave because the housing choices are really unappealing compared to the others.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
The advice of folks that have driven through a place once or twice should, for obvious reasons, be completely discounted.

hollingsworth lives in Wheaton and LookoutKid lives in adjacent Glen Ellyn, their analysis of the positive aspects of Wheaton are spot-on. They both have done a lots of solid comparisons for the other suburbs in the region and have similar situations to the OP -- families with school aged children. The advice is sound for anyone that NEEDS to work in the Chicago region.

The OP is somewhat unique in trying to assess the relative merits of the region against other potential areas to live. The major downside facing the Chicago region is the fact that it is part of Illinois which has the literally the WORST debt situation of ANY of the 50 states -- https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illin...all-50-states/

The fact is that given Illinois dramatically dysfunctional politics there is little hope for the situation improving -- http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/27/us...s-divided.html

For anyone who has a child that shows signs of benefiting from non-mandated programs, like gifted instruction, http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/mandates.htm Illinois reliance on massive property taxes and move away from any sort of equity are steps in the wrong direction: Duncan: State should change 'appalling' school funding formula | News-Gazette.com

The OP, and frankly anyone with options for better future for themselves and their children , should look elsewhere...

Thanks for the links and input. Do you think Indiana or Michigan are better places to raise and educate children? And, if not, then where? Because we need to be close to certain industry and that just about narrows down our most viable options.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Although I've spent plenty of time in all the areas you've mentioned, I will only comment on Barrington as I currently live there and have kids enrolled in the gifted programs of this district. We specifically chose this district for their gifted education offerings. This choice was based on lots of research, mutiple school visits (including public and private gifted schools) and my personal ties to Illinois gifted educators.

There are not many districts like 220 that still fund daily, full-time gifted curriculum (both pull-out and full self-contained) in all subjects (including science and the arts, as well as the core reading/language/math), staffed by teachers with strong credentials/advanced degrees in gifted education. There are not many districts like 220 that start identification/gifted instruction in early elementary and continue this gifted (not merely "accelerated") differentiation throughout high school. There also are not many districts like 220 that have such an active parent-sponsored gifted foundation with the community outreach and the dollars to supply classrooms with state-of-the-art materials.

IMO the 220 district is at the top of IL "progressive" gifted programs. Ask about their progressive MEGGS math program to get a glimpse of how to teach math to some of our most intellectually talented students. When I hear from MIT engineering students that their 220 gifted math program more than prepared them for the rigors of MIT, I think the district is on the right track. FWIW, I also have an engineering background...

And IMO Grove elementary is an excellent Blue Ribbon School with wonderful teachers and gifted program. Considering where my kids are now on their educational paths, I cannot say enough good things about the gifted instruction of this district.

Barrington also has a plethora of parks, nature trails, outdoor spaces, and walkable areas...
Wonderful to know about. Thank you so much:-)

Old 12-31-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:

The nutty thing is that since Illinois HAS NO MANDATES for "gifted" education everything the districts do or do not do is LEFT TO THE VAGARIES OF BUDGETS and even ax-grinding cranks that can and do get elected to the BOE. Any district that is "tight" on funding will gladly start whacking the NON-MANDATED positions. I know, that happened back when I worked for CPS! It still happens ALL THE TIME. Ask anybody that teaches not just "gifted" kids but even things like ART AND MUSIC -- I have literally dozens of friends that have been bounced out of positions when the funding gets low! I live where I do specifically because when I was looking at towns that had enough funding to ensure that those would NOT get cut I narrowed the list down to not even a dozen towns and this was where we got the nicest house / easiest walk to train...

The future for education and frankly all government services in Illinois IS GRIM. There is literally NO WAY that things will not face more cuts AND more tax increases. If you are shopping for towns that are least likely to reduce things like gifted education and art and music you need to seek out the towns with sufficient tax base to support these "cuttable" things...
OK, so, where do you live? Forgive me if I missed it before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs