Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:24 PM
SyZ

151 posts, read 139,528 times

Advertisements

3337 Maple Leaf Dr, Glenview, IL 60026 | MLS #09077208 | Zillow

So I'm a little confused ...

This backyard is huge, the home is great, the schools are perfect 10s, it's south of Northbrook so the commute would be going away from the city (assuming less traffic), and it's still within 5 ish miles from my work?

Seems perfect? Seems like I'm missing something .. how can the homes be that cheap compared to all these other towns, when the primary driving factor is schools and THIS is the area with top schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 PM

169 posts, read 550,580 times
It's a smaller split level home and comparable to other homes in that neighborhood. We live just North of there in Northbrook, but looked in the Willows at one point. The neighborhood will split to two different high schools, so some people find that less desirable. It has a good neighborhood vibe, but once you go look you may realize that it's not so much cheaper based on square footage and age of homes nearby. Fwiw, we bought our home in District 27 Northbrook and while it has been 2 1/2 years, we bought for 475k and have 2500 sq ft in a colonial style home with a large lot.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:11 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
it's south of Northbrook so the commute would be going away from the city (assuming less traffic), and it's still within 5 ish miles from my work?
North/south traffic does not run as you expect going to/from the city. The opposite is actually true in the NW suburbs. I often drive to Buffalo Grove from O'Hare in the evening rush and have no traffic at all on 294 but traffic in the southbound lanes (going toward the city) is often backed up for miles. It is even worse on the Edens. Driving north on the Edens in the evening (away from the city) is usually a smooth ride once past Caldwell. The inbound traffic going toward the city in the evening is often solid all the way back to the Edens Spur. That is over 15 miles of backup. And then you hit the Kennedy which gets you another 7 miles of bumper to bumper traffic. East/west traffic does run as expected (eastbound heavy in the morning and westbound in the evening).

Old 02-07-2016, 06:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
North/south traffic does not run as you expect going to/from the city. The opposite is actually true in the NW suburbs. I often drive to Buffalo Grove from O'Hare in the evening rush and have no traffic at all on 294 but traffic in the southbound lanes (going toward the city) is often backed up for miles. It is even worse on the Edens. Driving north on the Edens in the evening (away from the city) is usually a smooth ride once past Caldwell. The inbound traffic going toward the city in the evening is often solid all the way back to the Edens Spur. That is over 15 miles of backup. And then you hit the Kennedy which gets you another 7 miles of bumper to bumper traffic. East/west traffic does run as expected (eastbound heavy in the morning and westbound in the evening).
Having done it myself let me modify. NB TriState traffic in the PM is not bad....until you get past Lake Cook Rd. then it backs up.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:41 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Having done it myself let me modify. NB TriState traffic in the PM is not bad....until you get past Lake Cook Rd. then it backs up.
I get off at Deerfield Road and it is fine up to there. After that, I don't know. But that would get the OP to Riverwoods, Northbrook, BG, Deerfield, or Glenview.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:05 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
I would not consider Highland Park because it's very snobby, and the low income demographics of the high school make it lower in test scores than the other schools mentioned. That is what people primrily look at no matter how well a school does for the rest of the population. My friend avoided HP because it was very snobby, and she has money. I live in Nortbrook, and the people are so friendly and nice, it's amazing.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
3337 Maple Leaf Dr, Glenview, IL 60026 | MLS #09077208 | Zillow

So I'm a little confused ...

This backyard is huge, the home is great, the schools are perfect 10s, it's south of Northbrook so the commute would be going away from the city (assuming less traffic), and it's still within 5 ish miles from my work?

Seems perfect? Seems like I'm missing something .. how can the homes be that cheap compared to all these other towns, when the primary driving factor is schools and THIS is the area with top schools?
The price per square foot, is pretty high for a home in need of so many updates, choppy split level layout, all carpet.

I bought my recent, much larger, 4 bedroom, more stately looking colonial, in Northbrook for around 200 per square foot. I also have a large lot as well, and I'm on a very quiet residential street. I need updates too, but not as many as that split. That split is not a good buy. It is also only a three bedroom home, and four or more bedrooms are more desirable. I was in that same exact model in that neighborhood during an open house, and it was turn key and sold for the same price. It was a very small home to me.

Last edited by twodoor2; 02-08-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 02-08-2016, 10:20 AM

20 posts, read 29,614 times
So I really hate traffic, which makes it sound like I would want NB, or a town slightly north as the traffic for whatever reason goes the opposite North and South which means in the morning it would be light into Chicago and in the evening light out of Chicago? Or did I not read that properly?

Are the property taxes in all these cities the same?

Northbrook IL Single Family Homes For Sale - 4 Homes | Zillow

Not a lot of choices ...

Old 02-08-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZtheActuary View Post
So I really hate traffic, which makes it sound like I would want NB, or a town slightly north as the traffic for whatever reason goes the opposite North and South which means in the morning it would be light into Chicago and in the evening light out of Chicago? Or did I not read that properly?

Are the property taxes in all these cities the same?

Northbrook IL Single Family Homes For Sale - 4 Homes | Zillow

Not a lot of choices ...
Prop taxes are generally higher in Lake County.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:50 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I would not consider Highland Park because it's very snobby, and the low income demographics of the high school make it lower in test scores than the other schools mentioned. That is what people primrily look at no matter how well a school does for the rest of the population. My friend avoided HP because it was very snobby, and she has money. I live in Nortbrook, and the people are so friendly and nice, it's amazing.
i can't imagine anyone objecting to the quality of HPHS; it is an outstanding school with one of the best reputations in Chicagoland. however, if that were the case, a good part of Highland Park (western portion) has an option of going to DHS if they choose instead of HPHS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs