Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM

17 posts, read 95,683 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Arlington Heights but am looking to move to Downers Grove or near 'burbs due to my son's school (like a private school there).

Any suggestion on good 'burbs in the area with a kid (park districts, library, etc).

Also what is the waiting list at the DG metra station for parking... any businesses near the station sell parking spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
How much can you spend on a house? Downers Grove is a very nice suburb, as is nearby Hinsdale and Westmont, but theyre quite expensive. We'd need a little more info to help you out more.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM

39 posts, read 192,303 times
Here is a link that details DG Metra Station parking. There is a wait for permits, not sure how long. There is also daily parking in the parking deck for $3, there is always plenty of space. Commuter Parking - Parking - Village of Downers Grove (http://www.downers.us/page/view/33 - broken link)

Downers Grove has a quality park district with plenty of activities for children including a great summer camp. Downers Grove Park District The library is located right downtown, it's not huge but is very nice. There are more parks and playgrounds than I can count. It's a very "family friendly" suburb, but not over run with kids.

We've been here for less than a year, but are very happy. Westmont is nice but I'd avoid it due to the school district, but that may not be as much of an issue since your son will be attending private school. Spend a weekend and take a look around the surrounding areas to get a feel for what you'd like. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM

17 posts, read 95,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
How much can you spend on a house? Downers Grove is a very nice suburb, as is nearby Hinsdale and Westmont, but theyre quite expensive. We'd need a little more info to help you out more.
From what I have been able to gather these 'burbs are similarly priced to Arlington Heights... I am currently in a ~600K house... probably looking in the same range...

Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
I think you should check out Downers Grove for a house.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Downers grove is nice and at 600k you'll fit right in. Westmont is cheaper, Oak Brook and Hinsdale more expensive.

What about Clarendon Hills? no one ever mentions it...

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Clarendon Hills, another good choice.Not sure what 600 will buy.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I don't know either, I just notice it always gets kind of overlooked... it is small though so that probably explains. I live less than two miles from Clarendon and know next to nothing about it, other than they have a metra stop.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM

33 posts, read 126,782 times
I lived in DG for a long time. Definatley a great place for families. The schools are really good too. You have to have money to live in DG. Good thing is the taxes are the most affordable out of most suburbs. The parking,,,good luck. Since they starting building condos in by the train station, parking is less and less.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,823 times
Default Clarendon Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't know either, I just notice it always gets kind of overlooked... it is small though so that probably explains. I live less than two miles from Clarendon and know next to nothing about it, other than they have a metra stop.
Very true - nestled in between Westmont & Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills does often get overlooked. I lived there for a year and thought it was just as nice as Hinsdale, only smaller (and not for the worse). I can't imagine it's more expensive than Arlington Heights, but I would say that pricewise it goes Hinsdale > CH > Westmont. Their downtown does not have much: post office, a few quaint stores, hardware store, and a grocery, plus a handful (at most) of restaurants. No bars to speak of (which is kind of nice).

Both Hinsdale & CH have easy access to Kingery Hwy., Cass, 55th St. and Ogden to get around quickly. Plus, it would be a reverse-commute (which I know matters less in the suburbs) to Downers Grove.

If you need interstate access, I used to make it from near downtown CH to I-55 or I-294 in less than 15 minutes without getting on 83/Kingery, if that is a concern, and there are Metra stops in Westmont, CH, and Hinsdale. I know the lot at the Westmont Metra stop was often full, but not as much in CH. And there is (or was, as I moved in 2002) a local coffee shop right next to the train tracks - I think it might even be called Late for the Train, or something like that.

I know if I had the chance to get back to suburban Chicago, I'd choose Clarendon Hills again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs