Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 27,216 times

Advertisements

What's the vibe like in La Grange Park for professional minorities? I know this is probably a hard topic to discuss, but we'd appreciate any honest opinions. I'm AA and my wife is bi-racial (AA/white) and we have a 4 month old daughter. Late 30s/early 40s, with a BA and Masters, income is $150K-$200K. For example, will our daughter be the only black kid in her class? Will she not be invited to friends' houses or vice versa because she's black? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 01:46 PM

165 posts, read 309,902 times
I live next door in Brookfield and wouldn't foresee any problems. Family-oriented town, nice people. There aren't many black people there, would be one of perhaps a small number in her class. These near-west suburbs are somewhat more diverse than the further west suburbs (in general). Good luck!

Old 09-06-2016, 02:43 PM

529 posts, read 647,382 times
I also live over in Brookfield in the Brookpark school district and my church is in LGP. Shouldn't have any issues. There is a healthy diversity and nice community at least what I can see in the north Brookfield/Northeast LaGrange Park area. I'm not as familiar with the western part of LaGrange Park but I'd imagine it is in line with what you would see in LaGrange.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 7,170 times
I do not see the healthliness other people see. It is prominent and you will do OK if you have thick skin but it wont be normal IMO. I would suggest another suburb personally but [Mod cut.] do I know.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-06-2016 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I too think you will be fine but I also spend enough time in LaGrange Park to say that even families of Asian ethnic background are not common. Here is the data about the schools -- https://iirc.niu.edu/Classic/SearchR...ARK$&type=CITY

You may note that none of the grades had enough AA students for them to be reported on, the minimum is 10. Now for some folks that is an arbitrary measure, but I only offer it to help understand the demographics --
https://iirc.niu.edu/Classic/School....022002&level=S

Technically parts of LGP are also served by D102, which overall is a more desirable district. That said there is a portion of LaGrange itself that has historically been home to AA families. There is a noticeable achievement gap, though AA children are numerous enough to be reported separately -- https://iirc.niu.edu/Classic/School....022003&level=S

For perspective I also present the data about AA students in nearby Hinsdale, that shows a less consistent acheivement gap, probably related to the higher likelihood of such students coming from more affluent families. https://iirc.niu.edu/Classic/School....041002&level=S

I hope this is information useful, though my personal feeling is that the OP should be happy in any of the towns that are within your budget. The issues that arise are more often really based on socio-economics than purely race -- parents that understand you and your spouse are professionals will gladly invite your daughter over for play dates and such. Folks that might be hesitant to do that with folks of more modest means might feel that way because they would worry that the other family might face undue pressure to reciprocate and that creates a weird dynamic.

Last edited by chet everett; 09-06-2016 at 03:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs