Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 PM

19 posts, read 63,064 times

Advertisements

I need your advice on my dilemma. From resale perspective, which one is a better investment? I am getting a Cary townhome with all nice features about $60K less than a similar townhome in Vernon Hills. From commute perspective, Vernonhills works better for us. Taxes are comaprable. 5 years down the road, how do you foresee value of Cary townhome vs Vernonhills townhome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
This is a tough one. The attached stuff in Vernon is old and lower grade for the most part -- are the finishes in Cary top notch? You don't want builder grade "mouse fur" carpet and "genuine simulated" anything. My gut tells me the cabinets and countertops are going to be higher grade in new place in Cary...
I really don't like townhomes or condos, too much to go wrong but $60K is a lot of money, and I really don't think you can pass that up.

BTW make SURE that the townhome complex is otherwise in good shape -- if the rest of units are not selling you could lose your shirt. How many other units are finished/sold? How many more are planned? This is the risk factor -- you don't want to be left holding the bag.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:00 AM

545 posts, read 2,043,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipi View Post
I need your advice on my dilemma. From resale perspective, which one is a better investment? I am getting a Cary townhome with all nice features about $60K less than a similar townhome in Vernon Hills. From commute perspective, Vernonhills works better for us. Taxes are comaprable. 5 years down the road, how do you foresee value of Cary townhome vs Vernonhills townhome?
REPLY: I dont think even a Realtor could accurately answer this . 5 years down the road , communities can change in a variety of ways. Cary is a nice area..enjoy your townhome and the area . You cant go wrong with real estate as it will go up in value...just quicker when a real estate slump doesnt exist.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Chet is on to something with his suggestion to ask about further development in the complex. Townhouse and condo complexes have this tendency to build out over huge areas over the course of 5 years. So if trying to sell your house you;re constantly competing with new construction that looks exactly like yours, but has never been loved in. This is a real danger.

Had a friend looking for a place in the north suburbs of Kansas City who was looking at a three-year-old condo. The guy had to sell, and had dropped his place to 10k less than he purchased it for three years previous. This is partly due to the housing crunch for sure, but also because everyone wanted the new construction that cost almost exactly the same amount as he originally wanted for his.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:55 AM

19 posts, read 63,064 times
Default Re

The stuff in Vernon Hills is not top notch, very ordinary while Cary home is much better in terms of quality. Number of houses pending and not sold are pretty much same in both locations

Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM

24 posts, read 84,616 times
One school district in Cary is better than the other, but I am not sure which one but you may want to research.
Also, I know of at least one townhome community in Cary that has "SSA" which is added to the property taxes which makes the fixed expenses high

Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 PM

179 posts, read 496,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openspace View Post
Also, I know of at least one townhome community in Cary that has "SSA" which is added to the property taxes which makes the fixed expenses high
"Cambria", I believe. Something like $5,400 a year on a $179,000 townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs