Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 717 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My fiance and I are looking to rent an apartment. We found a great one that was really affordable (so affordable we were a little suspicious to be honest). I am just getting back on my feet financially, but I have pretty good credit, got a new better paying job and have been freelancing. My fiance makes good money and so we didn't hesitate to do the application. The LL was pretty nitpicky about us giving all kinds of documentation and information (the LL even wanted a letter proving my student loans were not in default and they are NOT). As nitpicky as the landlord has been, we think it's a great apartment and are willing to go through with it. Just one thing: the apartment is not move-in ready. The previous tenants had pets (the LL took over from the previous one and now doesn't want pets) and the entire place needs to be deep cleaned as there is a very bad and noticeable odor from the previous tenant's dogs. The LL just got the electricity turned over their name and got electricity on in the apartment, but the apartment still needs to be painted, there are a few repairs still need to be had, etc. The apartment isn't move-in ready and according to the LL it won't be for at least another week. My fiance thinks we shouldn't sign and hand over a deposit until then. But I am afraid we may lose the apartment if we wait another week for it to be ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:20 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Pet odors with carpeting are tough to get rid of since everything seeps into the pad below... are they willing to replace the carpet? The new enzyme cleaners work wonders but the carpeting and padding really needs to be replaced if the odor is bad.

Here's a trick, use a good quality black light w/extension cord to detect how bad it is, but be warned, it's probably going to look like a crime scene! Would have be done at night too so the black light will work (needs total darkness).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs