Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 12,092 times

Advertisements

Hi! First time poster here. Been living on the Northwest side of Chicago for almost 15 years and Chicago native. I'm looking to purchase a condo, and my budget is tight. Been renting in the Albany Park community the past 3 years and am looking at some condos in Skokie. Searched the forums here and saw some older posts from 2007-2011 talking about certain areas to avoid in Skokie, like betweeen main and oakton just east of Skokie blvd as well as by the Skokie Swift at Dempster. Does this still hold true? The condos that are in my price range are in these pockets of Skokie. I will be moving with my teenage son, so that is a factor for me. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:32 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
It's your first post, so welcome!

No area of Skokie is truly bad, although a little bit of sketchiness exists near the Evanston border. The areas you mentioned are pretty safe. Skokie Blvd between Main and Oakton is nice, and the area by Dempster, Yellow Line (Skokie Swift) is not only nice, but improving, with new commercial construction. Hanging out at the mall is no longer the activity of choice for teens, it seems, but Old Orchard is there as it's been for decades. Skokie Park District is can be a great first employer for your son. They pay minimum wage, like most park district jobs, but I'm sure he'll enjoy working outside, alongside girls his age.

Most of Skokie feeds into Niles Township High Schools (West and North), which aren't as great as they once were, but are still pretty solid.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 12,092 times
Thanks for the welcome and insight MillenialUrbanist! That is comforting to know about Skokie and those pockets. Funny thing is I grew up not far from Skokie and live in Albany Park, but these areas change quickly it's hard to keep up with the changes. Ya know, I used to work at Old Orchard back in the 80's so I know how that is with the mall. Well fingers cross I find a place up that direction!!!

Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM

155 posts, read 212,747 times
Not a fan of Skokie. It's a bad area, but nothing special either. I used to work in Skokie so know the type of folks that live there. It is a melting pot like Albany Park, but it's just not stellar anymore. I would throw in that some of the condos are nice downtown on Oakton and Optima is beautiful. Depending on your budget and other requirements, you might be able to find other options in nearby suburbs.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:30 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
I wouldn't say that Skokie is bad per se. It's true that it's more ethnic than most suburbs: you have East Asian, Jewish, Russian, and Assyrian businesses. So you can't even call it bland. At the same time, it lacks the hipster-esque urbanity of Chicago proper, and the car culture is as prevalent as in stereotypical suburbs, Yellow Line nonewithstanding. I drive through Skokie semi-regularly, and rarely see any pedestrians. It may or may not affect your decision, but just saying.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 AM

155 posts, read 212,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I wouldn't say that Skokie is bad per se. It's true that it's more ethnic than most suburbs: you have East Asian, Jewish, Russian, and Assyrian businesses. So you can't even call it bland. At the same time, it lacks the hipster-esque urbanity of Chicago proper, and the car culture is as prevalent as in stereotypical suburbs, Yellow Line nonewithstanding. I drive through Skokie semi-regularly, and rarely see any pedestrians. It may or may not affect your decision, but just saying.
I meant to say not bad. Very "meh" not affluent, but not poor either. Very very avergae, and with the surroudning suburbs, you can do better!

Old 05-31-2017, 09:17 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
The problem I have with Skokie is that so many of the houses which were built in the fifties and sixties are dated and the kind of architecture I really am not fond of. Not old enough to be cool but just old enough to look very dated and I bet many are in need of quite a bit of work. Others that have been updated are very expensive.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 AM

44 posts, read 54,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The problem I have with Skokie is that so many of the houses which were built in the fifties and sixties are dated and the kind of architecture I really am not fond of. Not old enough to be cool but just old enough to look very dated and I bet many are in need of quite a bit of work. Others that have been updated are very expensive.
Yes, this. I have been completely unimpressed with the various versions of 1950s brick ranch homes I've seen thus far in Skokie. Stinks, because taxes are low and schools are good.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:13 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
What part of Skokie that borders Evanston is bad? Skokie and Evanston are separated by a park and a canal, as well as an upscale neighborhood between Dempster and Golf Road.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:31 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Parts of that area are definitely not 'upscale'. They are likely referring to the edges of mccormick blvd. No big deal though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs